Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traded my 30-06 for a Ruger Scout...now help me get it going.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's how mine is, ready to go into the woods when the season starts!

I briefly put on a brake and promptly took it off. I don't believe it's necessary and it's very loud, especially for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by cqbdriver View Post
    I ran an H-1 on the GSR for a while. However, I needed the Aimpoint on another rifle and decided to try scout scope concept. I like the Aimpoint better for where I am hunt - rolling hills & thick woods. You can rarely see beyond 200 yds and usually less than 100 yds.

This photo has the Alpha mag that I mentioned above and an A2 FS. The Aimpoint is on lowest LaRue mount that they make.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cqbdriver View Post
    I use Alpha mags for 10rd mag ( http://www.alphaindmfg.com/store/ind...&product_id=50 )

It is much more compact than the Ruger metal mag and well made. However, Alpha use to list a GSR mag, but it isn't on their site now. Before the GSR mag came out, I used their Type 1 with minor mods (removed a little from the back so the mag could latch. may be they made the type 1 compatible with the GSR.

Interesting your comment about the Alpha GSR mags not being on their site. I know nothing about them, but looking just now, I noticed they have a "Type 2" Alpha mag linked here (http://www.alphaindmfg.com/store/ind...&product_id=51), and in the product description they say: "This magazine is the go to style magazine for the Ruger GSR. If you want a shorter (10) ten shot stainless steel body mag, this is it. Order this magazine for RUGER GSR rifle platform."

Have you tried this "Type 2" mag for the GSR yet?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I took mine out today and deviated EVER SO SLIGHTLY from the pure scout concept by installing a 3-13x56mm Zeiss Victory scope. The FOV of that scope at 3x is impressive. I am thinking about running the gun this way

1. Zeiss 3-12x56 scope in QRW mounts.
    2. XS rail with backup sights.
    3. Eventually get an MPI or Macmillan stock.
    4. Surefire flash hider.

Interestingly, the Scout has a much much much better trigger than my Winchester M70 or my old Steyr Scout. I shot with my buddy Shane and he confirmed that the trigger was also better than his old SS. Everybody was a little amazed that the Ruger had such an amazing trigger. Somebody must have been trying to get a promotion at the Ruger factory. I will put a weight on it eventually, but the rest of its characteristics are so good I know I will never tinker with it.

I am seriously considering running this gun as a "night scout." I need to send my Zeiss to Kenton and have an illuminated reticle installed.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Have you tried this "Type 2" mag for the GSR yet?
    I never tried the type 2. I thought that it was for if you needed a longer OAL. At one time, they sold a Type 1, Type 2 and a GSR mag.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Yes, my scope is over the rear sight, it'll work and you will be happy
    Mark and Greg: Did either of you go with an XS rail plus medium rings for your scope to clear the rear sight? What brand and height of rings did you use, and did you go with QRW of some type so you could quickly pop the sight off and use the irons?

I've decided not to go with an LER/scout type of scope. The only thing I would mount in the forward position would be a red dot. So I think to keep the iron sights readily available, I'll also have to go with an XS rail, and some type of slightly higher rings to clear the rear peep sight. But I'm not sure what height of rings to order.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Mark and Greg: Did either of you go with an XS rail plus medium rings for your scope to clear the rear sight? What brand and height of rings did you use, and did you go with QRW of some type so you could quickly pop the sight off and use the irons?

I've decided not to go with an LER/scout type of scope. The only thing I would mount in the forward position would be a red dot. So I think to keep the iron sights readily available, I'll also have to go with an XS rail, and some type of slightly higher rings to clear the rear peep sight. But I'm not sure what height of rings to order.
    Right now, my scope has some Warne's that are permanent. I had those on hand and haven't had the opportunity to change over to the Leupold QRW's I would have to measure and see if I would need med or high's for it. Yes, I have the XS rail with rear sight and it goes over the rear sight for proper eye relief. Once I get the appropriate rings, this will be a nice set up. I also need to update my scope, I have a L Rifleman 2-7 on it that was an emergency scope on a bolt gun and has seen duty on 6-7 rifles, remounted, etc. I actually think it's the best scope I've ever purchased, all for less than 200.
    So's there's no confusion when I mention the Micro, I do have two GSR's.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I have the XS rail on my GSR. I have also mounted a VXR 3x9 in Leupold medium QRP rings. It easily clears the rear sight. I am actually going to try and see if the low mount QRP rings will work. As an aside.....the Magpul flashlight mount (right side) fits in front of the scope and puts a push button light in the perfect spot for your left thumb.....perfect for shooting varmints at night (IR light w/NV)

Feedback Score
    For a sling Andy's Leather "Ching Sling" or Rhodesian sling works well.

http://www.andysleather.com/

http://www.shottist.com/

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I put an XS rail on mine along with a 2-7 Leupold Firedot, and Ching Sling. I also removed the flash hider in favor of a thread protector, but will probably put a 51T mount on it to use with my SDN-6. I'm seriously considering ordering a McMillan stock for it this week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12