Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is the medium/large frame revolver obsolete for personal defense?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Well for a very long time now I've only had small revolvers such as the Ruger LCR .357 that I really like.

The wife likes for it's decent DA trigger and recoil absorbing design. I like it for the same reasons and additionally because I like 158 gr .357 magnum loads in a 2-inch.

I was at a buddies house the other day and he really liked my Gen 4 Glock 32. He offered to trade me for his S&W 627 Pro with box and papers. (The 8-shot .357 4-inch) I've fired this particular gun and know it's a good one. (S&W made plenty of bad ones) It's had very few rounds fired. (Maybe 300?) It's recessed for the moon clips but I don't have any yet.

So I took the trade. The Glock 32 had been my "woods gun" that I took to carrying all the time because I loved the grip texture. Oh, well. Back to carrying the old G19.

To get back on thread though I think this gun will be my "woods gun", and when not in the woods a "stash gun" for the house and maybe car.

It's currently stashed and ready loaded with Federal 180 gr SJHP's. What do you yal'll think? Good trade?
    Not sure what the deal is with the pic but it's clickable!
    Attachment 31883
    Good trade for you...but if your friend wanted the 32, guess it was good for him too.

But id have given him any Glock I own (don't own a G40 yet...) for that revolver

Take Care,

Buzz

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I carry a 4" 686+ in a high ride holster typically during winter months and for all my outdoor wanderings. I love the 357 magnum cartridge. I also keep it in my nightstand. I bought it for my wife because she prefers revolvers to semiautos.

Feedback Score

I am an unabashed fan of the Glock 9mm, and .45 auto pistols. That said, I've been carrying N Frame .44 mags for more than a couple of decades and consider a large for caliber projectile (such as a 300-320 grain cast bullet) pushed at moderate velocities, like between 1000 & 1150 fps to be big medicine, and very capable "one shot stop" type loads.

I've never felt undergunned while carrying one of my .44 Magnums, with a couple of speedloaders in my pocket. It's been my experience too, that with good leather, like Milt Sparks 200aw rigs, that one can carry all day with little discomfort. Similar to carrying a 5" government model.

Commonly carried, all will do the job if I will:

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've spent a few minutes reading this thread from start to finish and I'd like to make a few observations-

When comparing sizes of self loaders and revolvers, comparing a 4 inch self loader to a 4 inch revolver is really apples & oranges. The chamber of the self loader is part of the barrel. The chamber of the revolver is the chamber and adds roughly 2 inches to the barrel length. A 4 inch self loader is comparable to a 2 or 3 inch revolver.

8 holes in the bad guy is better than 6 whether the round used is a 45, 357, 9mm or 38.

The revolver is obsolete but not abandoned and while it is not abandoned, revolver technology and economy is currently in a static state.

Revolvers fill niche as they can be effectively chambered for the more powerful magnums and in practical use, that niche is in between handguns and SBRs. If not for the artificial difficulties of SBR ownership, I think we'd see a blurring of the line between magnum handguns and SBRs in the field.

The combat double action revolver with its design and all steel construction is a unique blend of elegance and purpose that is unmatched by any polymer framed self loader
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-05-15 at 16:50.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I was at a buddies house the other day and he really liked my Gen 4 Glock 32. He offered to trade me for his S&W 627 Pro with box and papers. (The 8-shot .357 4-inch) I've fired this particular gun and know it's a good one. (S&W made plenty of bad ones) It's had very few rounds fired. (Maybe 300?) It's recessed for the moon clips but I don't have any yet.
    About the moon clips....the good news is that they make for very tidy reloads. The bad news is that the groove on the brass into which the clip goes, is different from one manufacturer to the next. Clip thickness is usually what distinguishes one group from another. No one seems to account for the diameter at the groove but I think that matters too.

I bought a 627 last year and have been going through the 'which brass in what clip' exercise. R-P and Federal works well in .025 thick clips. Winchester though has a narrower groove which does not (perhaps a .020 thick clip will work).

Also, compared to the clips for the 625 (several clips for a dollar) that fit mixed 45ACP brass, the clips for the 38s are hardly inexpensive (several dollars for one clip) and fit a few brands brands.

Be alert.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    About the moon clips....the good news is that they make for very tidy reloads. The bad news is that the groove on the brass into which the clip goes, is different from one manufacturer to the next. Clip thickness is usually what distinguishes one group from another. No one seems to account for the diameter at the groove but I think that matters too.

I bought a 627 last year and have been going through the 'which brass in what clip' exercise. R-P and Federal works well in .025 thick clips. Winchester though has a narrower groove which does not (perhaps a .020 thick clip will work).

Also, compared to the clips for the 625 (several clips for a dollar) that fit mixed 45ACP brass, the clips for the 38s are hardly inexpensive (several dollars for one clip) and fit a few brands brands.

Be alert.
    Yep. I got some and found the same thing. I must have the same type you do because Remington and Federal fit fine. Haven't tried Winchester yet. S&B and Geco do not fit. CCI Blazer don't fit IIRC. Hornady a little tight but still doable. Starline brass fits fine thankfully.

Of course the great thing is the 627 doesn't HAVE to use the clips. Loose ammo works and ejects just fine!

I think I paid around $8 for 10 clips or so IIRC. Or maybe it was $10 for 8 clips? Either way it's enough for now. I spend more time shooting my Glock 19 and Ruger LCR. (.357 also)

Feedback Score
    Obsolete? Not to me, the DA revolver is something I shoot well. For some reason that DA trigger action agrees with me. I carry a DA/SA autoloader because of 1) the DA first shot and my preferred AWIB carry and 2) lighter and flatter to carry. But I would not feel under armed carrying my 6 shot snub with speed strips. There is something to be said for hitting what you aim at and I have confidence that I can.
    For open carry with speedloaders I would strongly consider carrying my 4" 686.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567