Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What do you do if a handgun you want to carry fails your reliability test?

Feedback Score
    Depends on the malfunction. Any pistol can malfunction, Glocks, HK included. But a repeatable malfunction? No way, out the door it goes. Recently had a pistol almost through a 2000 round test. When I tried some speed reloads I had to pull the mags out every time. Unacceptable for me so I sold it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I have a follow up question for the: "99% reliability? Send that shit back!" Crowd...

How would one articulate to glock that, at their cost your gun needs to be refurbished or replaced? 5 rounds out of 500 equals 99% reliability. For testing purposes the manufacturer would have to get 3 malfs for any statistical relevance. Do you guys actually expect a manufacturer to sit down and run 300 rounds through your gun to try and diagnose a problem?

This isn't a smartass question at all, but more for my understanding as to what to expect from a CS experience.

For the record my gen3 19 has yet to have any stoppages at ~800 rounds, but I have noticed erratic and sometimes weak ejection.
    This is why it's important to pick an mfg. with a noteworthy reputation for CS.

Depends on the mfg. Some probably have an assessment checklist to quickly diagnose issues and check for "in-spec" with their mfg. standards. Replace said erroneous parts, test fire, ship back.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If the malfunction is while using reloads, old ammo or lately Blazer Brass i shrug it off. If other ammo, i check the mags and extractor first. If problem persists-sell.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Depends on the gun. I would say at this point after 500 rounds you are done with break in. I would thoroughly clean and lube the pistol and try to get at least 1000 rounds out of it without a malfunction. I would not clean it during that time. Guns I carry I do 2000 rounds. If you continue to still have issues I would send it back to the manufacture for a checkup.
    AGREED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Long ago I learned to discard any magazine that I judged defective and not to salvage parts from it. That advice is the best I can give on the subject except to say that if it won't feed quality hardball ammo, then don't expect it to feed hollow points. Some will suggest polishing the chamber. My experience has been that whereas KelTecs may frequently have rough chambers, generally top brand hand guns do not. In the past an exception may have been CZs.

In more than one factory instruction manual I've read that if one has malfunctions, then change ammo brands and try again. Variation in dimension among brands was cited as the reason. I never bought into this rationale but can't refute it based on my experience with ammo besides Blazer.

I'm not really sure just what the term break in means. After I fire 50 rds of +p+ ammo through a 9mm, I expect it to work. So I guess I broke it in, but I ain't sure what I broke. Once I spent a small fortune trying to break in a Karh and never succeeded.
    Last edited by williejc; 10-23-14 at 23:02. Reason: sp

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If i dont trust the gun it gets sold.
    Sorta scary. I hope you give full disclosure and tell them it malfunctions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234