Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help picking a 16" BCM upper (maybe a 14.5")

Feedback Score

Help picking a 16" BCM upper (maybe a 14.5")

I want to pick up a 16" upper and I'm looking at bcm's upper receiver groups with kmr. I'm fairly certain I want a 16" but can't decide on the standard govt profile barrel or lightweight barrel - enhanced lightweight are not available.

I would go for a 14.5 with pinned surefire brake, but I don't think they offer the surefire (socom) brake or flash hider with the quick disconnect for attaching their suppressors. Am I wrong / incorrect?

This will be a general purpose rifle to take classes with, etc.

Thoughts and/or recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Can't really go wrong with either. I know some people prefer the regular profile if you're going to be running a suppressor. Otherwise it's really personal preference. There's a pretty good argument for the light weight barrel if you plan on doing classes or carrying it for an extended amount of time as well. Ounces add up. Can't really comment on the brake/flash hider but again, with the deals they're running right now you really can't go wrong. Free bcg and free bcm flash hider (on 16" barreled upper) is hard to beat

Feedback Score
    I was wanting to capitalize on the deal they're running. I was leaning 16" with 15"kmr, but was having second thoughts.

Feedback Score
    I have the BCM BFH 14.5" mid length with the pinned Gunfighter Comp mod 1. Not sure if you want the Surefire because it is compatible with a suppressor that you already have but the Gunfighter Comp mod 1 is compatible with a can made for an A2 flash hider.

Mine doesn't have the KMR, just a standard plastic hand guard. It is also govt profile but feels real light. As far as the 14.5" middy, it is a great shooter! Just ran it again today. I have it on a BCM lower with an H buffer and I swear it is smoother than my 20" A4, which is crazy. It is real soft and has very little movement. That comp isn't obnoxious either. I have no experience with a 16" BCM middy yet - I'm sure it would run like a champ as well - but I can tell you without question that their 14.5" middy is a NICE setup. Quickly becoming my favorite.

Just something else to consider if you haven't made your mind up 100% yet. I'm sure all you need is more options
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    I have a BCM CHF LW 16" middy and I can tell it's lighter in the nose than the 16" gov profile middy; not a huge difference, but noticeable.
    I chose the 16" over the 14.5" because it gives me the option to easily change the muzzle device later vs. a pinned/welded 14.5".
    Besides, a 16" with an A2 is only about 1.25" longer than a pinned 14.5". I'm not gonna sweat an inch longer rifle.

Unfortunately I bought it before they started the free BCG offer, but I just picked up a BCM 20" this week so I don't feel too left out on the deals nowadays.

PS: HillCountry I really like that simple uncluttered setup you have there!
    Last edited by Hamms; 10-17-14 at 22:38.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I picked up a 16" LW profile upper, mid-length gas system with a 13" KMR rail and the BCM Gunfighter comp after seeing the same deal. I couldn't be happier with the upper. I chose the 16" for ease of installing a different muzzle attachment should the desire arise, and agree with Hamms about the 16" LW profile over the gov't profile. In the three weeks or so that I have had my upper, I have put just under 600 rounds through it with zero issues running a Spike's T2 buffer. The Gunfighter comp is an excellent device and a real steal when you get it with the BCM deal. Paired with a heavier buffer and a mid-length gas system, you really can't go wrong.

I find that the 13" KMR is just right on the 16"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamms View Post
    PS: HillCountry I really like that simple uncluttered setup you have there!
    Thank you. I need to get a light for it at some point, but yeah, I like them simple.

Feedback Score
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...4-mi-ssk12.htm

I've had great luck with this one. There's probably over 7k rounds down that barrel.
    Last edited by 10mmSpringfield; 10-18-14 at 00:25.
    In the future, PMAGs will be the currency standard.

Feedback Score
    IF I was buying an upper right now, it would be the ELW 14.5" with KMR and SOCOM FH(custom). 2nd choice would be LW with everything else the same. Its similar to what I have now, just more up to date.

If you've been shooting to get good, and you know what you want, get it.

Feedback Score
    I know that bravo has an option for a surefire brake, but is it the socom variant with the ability to use their quick attach/detach socom suppressors?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast