Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Bull Study

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Red Bull Study

As expected, Red Bull = synthetic sweetener, water + caffeine.

Objective

Consumption of energy drinks is increasing amongst athletes and the general public. By virtue of their bioactive ingredients (including caffeine, taurine, glucuronolactone, and B-group vitamins) and paucity of calories, sugar-free “diet” versions of these drinks could be a useful aid for weight maintenance. Yet little is known about the acute influence of these drinks, and specifically the role of the cocktail of non-caffeine ingredients, on resting energy expenditure (REE) and substrate oxidation. Therefore, the metabolic impact of sugar-free Red Bull (sfRB) to a comparable amount of caffeine was compared.

Methods

REE and respiratory quotient (RQ) were measured in eight healthy young men by ventilated-hood indirect calorimetry for 30 min baseline and 2 h following ingestion of 355 ml of either: sfRB + placebo, water + 120 mg caffeine, or water + placebo, according to a randomized cross-over design.

Results

sfRB and water + caffeine both increased REE to the same degree (+4%). Additionally, sfRB briefly increased RQ. Water + caffeine had no effect on RQ relative to water + placebo.

Conclusions

sfRB enhanced thermogenesis and marginally shifted RQ to favor carbohydrate oxidation. The stimulatory effects of sfRB on REE are mimicked by water + caffeine, indicating that the auxiliary ingredients do not influence this thermic effect. The metabolic effects of sfRB are primarily due to caffeine alone.

Source:

The thermic effect of sugar-free Red Bull: Do the non-caffeine bioactive ingredients in energy drinks play a role? - Miles-Chan - 2014 - Obesity - Wiley Online Library
    Last edited by WillBrink; 10-18-14 at 18:05.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I drink it because I like the taste. It has no real effect on my energy level, Hell I can drink one and then take a nap.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    I drink it because I like the taste. It has no real effect on my energy level, Hell I can drink one and then take a nap.
    So it does not give you wings?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Nope, just heartburn.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I died a little on the inside when I saw the results of said referenced class action suit. True story...

Like you gotta be f'ing kidding me.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    If I drank even a half of one of those, you would be peeling me off of the ceiling!!! No can do.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    So what its saying is that getting some caffeine pills will do the same if not more?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    So what its saying is that getting some caffeine pills will do the same if not more?
    Indeed. I also like Fein which converts anything I'm drinking into an "energy" drink. See:

What You Need To Know About Caffeine
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Indeed. I also like Fein which converts anything I'm drinking into an "energy" drink. See:

yay, more stuff to buy...

thanks

Feedback Score

Great write-up, Will. Thanks for sharing that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast