Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dot G2

Feedback Score

Gold Dot G2

Does anybody have any information on this? From what I have gathered, it has been tested extensively by the FBI and has performed very well, from a ballistics standpoint. I have come across little from other forums, and was wondering if anyone has any hands on experience or had done any ballistics testing. I just came across a new article and it got me wondering...

http://handgunplanet.com/news/first-...d-dot-g2-ammo/

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Word is that the FBI is going back to 9MM and the GD2 will be their round. It is a JHP with a "plug" to control expansion. I doubt that it will be available to the lowly non FBI folk.....
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Speer just did a demo of the Gold Dot 2 in Salt Lake this September. I wasn't there, but had several friends who were and they were impressed. They also said the intermediate barricade testing went very well. Bare gel results were textbook, much like the Federal HST.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    Speer just did a demo of the Gold Dot 2 in Salt Lake this September. I wasn't there, but had several friends who were and they were impressed. They also said the intermediate barricade testing went very well. Bare gel results were textbook, much like the Federal HST.
    I'd imagine this to be an HST on steroids. I'm excited to see some testing results. I agree that Speer/ATK wouldn't field a hollowpoint design that didn't have a meaningful improvement over the current Gold Dot.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Exactly. Why change a winner unless it's a substantial performance increase? I have a feeling non-FBI will be able to get their hands on it, just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting. I'd love to see a round expanded, and see what they did to improve over the original Gold Dot design. My own backyard testing has shown that HST spanks original Gold Dot hands down, but this would be a much more fair comparison. Wonder when they'll get around to making it in .45?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The rep quoted about 18 months out before the department could get enough to replace their current ammo. I imagine for non-LE the wait could be longer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Interesting. I'd love to see a round expanded, and see what they did to improve over the original Gold Dot design. My own backyard testing has shown that HST spanks original Gold Dot hands down, but this would be a much more fair comparison. Wonder when they'll get around to making it in .45?
    GD 124gr +p is one of the best 9mm rounds out. I don't know which one you tested, or how, but some GD beats some HST(and vice-versa), it depends on the specific load.

I am very interested in the new round.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-20-14 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    GD 124gr +p is one of the best 9mm rounds out. I don't know which one you tested, or how, but some GD beats some HST(and vice-versa), it depends on the specific load.

I am very interested in the new round.
    My testing methods are the rather unscientific water expansion test. In 9mm, standard pressure, the HST and Gold Dot 124gr offerings were about the same. More recently I tested 230gr standard pressure version of both HST and Gold Dot, and HST was far better in terms of expansion. I haven't done a direct comparison between HST/Gold Dot in .40, but the HST 180gr .40S&W rounds I tested did better than anything from Hornady or Winchester.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would be surprised if it doesn't become available to the civilian market, given the costs of developing it and the potential for sales. It will likely be overpriced in 20 round boxes though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast