Thread: Sig Sauer 2014 vs. 1994

Feedback Score

Sig Sauer 2014 vs. 1994

I think a lot of us have been pretty disgusted by some of Sig's bizarre new models, like the ones with the "Rainbow" finish.

Why are there 25 different P226 models? Has their product portfolio ballooned to the point where perhaps their reach has exceeded their grasp in terms of quality, reliability, and customer service?

Would Sig just be better off reverting to its model line from 20 years ago? I used to own a German P226 and P228 and they were awesome. There was never any hint of a malfunction and there were no unnecessary features. They were just outstanding, non-nonsense service pistols.

I'd love to see Sig Sauer just circle the wagons and say "sorry, it was all a mistake" and start making the good stuff again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This has been hashed out and argued for years.

Basically, Cohen et. al. took a company that was ailing and made it profitable at the expense of quality and focus.

I think most "enthusiasts" are wholly unimpressed with Sig's latest offerings but you have to understand that people that frequent places like M4C and P-F make up a small portion of the gun buying public. Bling and tacticool sells. Most people don't shoot anywhere enough to bring out potential weaknesses in a product and many owners are more than willing to make excuses for their buying decisions.

Would Sig be better off? I think that depends on your definition of "better." Without going too far down the road of a false dichotomy...Is it "better" for a company to be large and very profitable at the expense of quality or is it better for a company to be small and focused, delivering a good product? If I were a shareholder, I'd lean towards the former. If I was buying a Sig to stake my life on, I'd want the latter.
    Last edited by opmike; 10-19-14 at 11:08.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity do you know how much their finances have improved?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewsky View Post
    Out of curiosity do you know how much their finances have improved?
    Nothing specific. People like Todd Green (who worked for Sig for some years) has made comments regarding their financial state before and after Cohen took over. He would be in a better position to comment.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Always remember that for most, the gun business isn't about guns. It's about business.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    A documented 11,124 rounds through two Sig pistols and two Sig rifles, the oldest of which is a 2011. All run great. YMMV.
    Last edited by Talon167; 10-19-14 at 16:06.

Feedback Score
    Today's SIG P Series are better due to the stainless slide construction and Nitron finish. The design and major components have never been the issue. IMO, the issue has been piss poor QC and the American manufacruring. Plain and simple, the Germans know how to build guns! Those P Series pistols in the 90s were awesome, but the guns would rust by mere looking at them.

Now, rumor has it that Exeter and Pease finally have their act together. From my sample of three this year, I would tend to agree. Both of my MK25's run well along with my P227. Time will tell.

Feedback Score
    I own several Sigs and love them quite a bit. Sig is my favorite company, not exactly because of their weapons, but because of their stance on 2A issues. For example, they are suing the ATF over a ruling and what a suppressor is on the MPX, we can't forget the NFA hack with the SB 15, Sig is doing it right in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    As much as many laugh at the rainbow nitride finishes, they are some of Sig's best sellers; not everyone is searching for the latest black blaster. Besides the finish is smooth making for smooth draws.

I have a dozen Sigs from a 225 to the 250 a number of 226s and 1911s and several other rifles/handguns for T&E. While I constantly hear nightmares of how poor the quality is I haven't seen an issue. After a couple decades in the industry it has become my opinion that many of the "issues" are like I caught a fish this big tales. Yes a bad item gets by, but how a company handles the issue speaks as highly of the business as does overall QC.

My last agency issued Sigs, I have competed in IDPA/USPSA with them, trained with them, carried them for CCW...they fit my hand well, they run and run. I have and will continue to choose a Sig as my choice of personal protection and competition firearm.