Thread: Bead blasting a barrel...

Feedback Score

Bead blasting a barrel...

After bead blasting a barrel is there some type of clear coat or something along those lines that I need to applyto prevent it from rusting or will gun oil suffice?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lattin1 View Post
    After bead blasting a barrel is there some type of clear coat or something along those lines that I need to applyto prevent it from rusting or will gun oil suffice?
    stainless or cmv 4150?

Feedback Score
    cmv 4150

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    not sure why you would want to bead blast CMV 4150, IMO it wont look like bead blasted stainless.

But to answer your question, yes you will need to coat it with something to protect it. There is a reason every CMV4150 barrel out there is coated in something like parkerizing or nitride.

Feedback Score
    Not so sure about that. One of those barrels is stainless and the other is not. Look identical to me. Guess I'll order some clear cerakote or something along those lines

IMG_1925.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    It should look like a bead blasted stainless barrel initially. I would guess that it wont stay that way very long unless it is clear coated, or generously oiled. Rust will get to it pretty quick otherwise. This is the reason most, if not all, chromoly barrels are parkerized, or oxided. Park is a good finish for oil to saturate into and protect the steel from rust. Even if the barrel is painted, Park still makes a great substrate for the paint to adhere to. Assuming you just want to blast and clear coat it, bead blasting is not going to give a good surface for the clear coat to adhere to as it creates a smooth surface. Al-oxide blasting will give a dark and rough surface for a clear coat, or paint to adhere to raw steel.

I think the above gives a pretty good outline of why you almost always only see stainless barrels bead blasted (it is just about the cheapest finish option for stainless aside from leaving it raw). I can't remember ever seeing a bead blasted chromoly barrel.

Feedback Score
    Alright, thats what I needed to know.