Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Hodge Defense AU Mod 2

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    ***This line just reminded me of a photo that made my Instagram feed yesterday:

http://instagram.com/p/uUA7mSpcPT/?modal=true

Attachment 29188

Don't know the specifics of what Shrek broke here, but it was just a reminder that... stuff breaks. Stronger is better, lighter is better, but agreed: It's a pretty rare day when AR receivers *break*. Far less dramatic, but weaker materials can go a little egg shaped though in the pin holes, etc. though.

Kel
    That was a polymer lower
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    The only competition to the AU Mod 2 is Knight's SR15, IMO.
    This will not be an inexpensive rifle though. A complete Noveske Gen 3 rifle is running close to $2500, you can bet the Mod 2 will be every bit of that.
    This is a pretty solid assessment - I suspect the AU-Mod2 will start at where the SR15Mod2's will wind up on closeout years from now price wise, and thus be positioned between the complete DDM4-V11LW (cheaper, less ambi, but otherwise the less well heeled right-handers SR-15 analog) and the SR-15Mod2 for something that bridges the gap: this will set it up rather well in the market.

I don't see it being that distinct as a complete rifle to really distance itself from some of the cobbled together from sales BCM offerings if augmented with BattleArmsDev, Norgon, Geissele G2S(-E), and MagPul hardware for people willing to slap an upper on a lower themselves, but in the space of 'one rifle to do every task out of the box' it looks like the AU-Mod2 will acquit itself quite well for folks that may not need the SR-15 feature set or retained performance at high round count.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    This is a pretty solid assessment - I suspect the AU-Mod2 will start at where the SR15Mod2's will wind up on closeout years from now price wise, and thus be positioned between the complete DDM4-V11LW (cheaper, less ambi, but otherwise the less well heeled right-handers SR-15 analog) and the SR-15Mod2 for something that bridges the gap: this will set it up rather well in the market.

I don't see it being that distinct as a complete rifle to really distance itself from some of the cobbled together from sales BCM offerings if augmented with BattleArmsDev, Norgon, Geissele G2S(-E), and MagPul hardware for people willing to slap an upper on a lower themselves, but in the space of 'one rifle to do every task out of the box' it looks like the AU-Mod2 will acquit itself quite well for folks that may not need the SR-15 feature set or retained performance at high round count.
    The MOD-2 will appeal to those who want to have "common parts" like a midlength gas-tube or Milspec BCG work with their weapon. This "scares" some people off of the KAC rifles, although my personal opinion is that it's a non-issue, still, there are people who don't like the proprietary gas systems and bolts of the KAC product, and this offers an alternative. In fact, it offers the ONLY alternative with a forged ambi lower, of which I am aware.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Unless i'm very much mistaken it looks like the ambi charging handle offers an extended right side latch to get you past the forward assist bump. Personally I prefer the MUR upper for this very reason, but it does go to show that thought is being put into these aspects of the firearm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I suspect it will retail similarly to the other weapons which offer similar "custom" type features (ambi lowers, "billet looking" uppers and lowers, although this one has the looks while being Forged), such as Noveske, LaRue, etc.
    One thing I'd like to know is the price of the upper and lower (or a set) and the weight. I understand this thread is about a rifle, but the receivers are the only part that really set it apart. Much more interest has been shown in the receivers than the complete gun. It has been indicated they will be available separate.

What I'd like to be able to compare that to is what I consider the competition.

2a Arms BALIOS-Lite:
    7075 Billet
    Machined for weight savings.
    Upper 5.85 oz stripped (no FA)
    Lower 6.50 oz stripped
    Retail: 486$ matched set

Seems a good set, I have been considering one. Pricey, really only thing holding me back, but seems reasonable.

MAG Tactical:
    Magnesium Alloy
    Upper: 4.8 oz stripped
    Lower: 5.875 oz stripped
    Retail: 345.90$ (assembled upper)

Seems the material here may not be best for the task. Weight and price are certainly there though.

Mega Machine:
    7075 billet
    Set weight: 19.4 oz
    Retail price:431$

These are not light weight but I think they are good for comparison because they are a matched set held to the highest tolerances and quality control. A lot of talk about this surrounding the Hodge rifles.

So basically with those basic specs I can make a comparison. Is the value there in the one part of the rifle that actually set its apart? The 2A arms is the one that seems the most direct competitor.

I'd also like to know more about what sets the assembly of these rifles apart from the rest. The heat fit barrel is neat, what else is there? With that info You decide if the value is there in this rifle or not. How ever I don't really see us finding all that out.

You mention Noveske rifles, another one I simply do not see the value in. I have heard all about the little tricks and extras that go into the assembly of these too, but never what they actually are, these too are rifles I will never buy and never see the value in. I put together a Noveske SPR barrel in a Vltor VIS for 2/3rds what the sold the same upper for, what ever they did for that extra 500$ will always escape me, there is nothing that to me could justify that much of a price disparity.

The LaRue truly brings a lot of unique and desirable items to market only available in their rifles.

KAC SR15s has a number of innovations that are clearly explained, and make sense. There is no claim of unicorn tears used as assembly lube. They simply build a great rifle from innovative parts.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    ^Not just weight but strength vs weight.
    Some may have missed what the article was pointing out about the added reciever dimensions. Hodge took a material that was both lighter and stronger than forged 7075 aluminum dimension for dimension. Then he used the weight savings allowed by the material properties to add dimensions to the reciever for a compounding strength gain. Like how 7075 billet recievers have to do beacause they need the added material to compensate for the material strength, except the material Hodge used is already stronger than forged 7075 alum. Hodge is going for bomb proof.
    For this reason the weight savings some might be expecting out of these receives might not be as drastic as you think. What you are getting is a reciever that weighs close to the same as a forged mil-spec, maybe a hair less, but that is WAY stronger. The closest in strength is probably the Vltor MUR, which is forged aluminum with added dimensions but it weighs more for it. This is forged Al-Li with added dimensions that is likely stronger than the MUR but without any weight increase over a forged mil-spec dimensions receiver.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I'd also like to know more about what sets the assembly of these rifles apart from the rest. The heat fit barrel is neat, what else is there? With that info You decide if the value is there in this rifle or not. How ever I don't really see us finding all that out.

You mention Noveske rifles, another one I simply do not see the value in. I have heard all about the little tricks and extras that go into the assembly of these too, but never what they actually are, these too are rifles I will never buy and never see the value in. I put together a Noveske SPR barrel in a Vltor VIS for 2/3rds what the sold the same upper for, what ever they did for that extra 500$ will always escape me, there is nothing that to me could justify that much of a price disparity.

The LaRue truly brings a lot of unique and desirable items to market only available in their rifles.

KAC SR15s has a number of innovations that are clearly explained, and make sense. There is no claim of unicorn tears used as assembly lube. They simply build a great rifle from innovative parts.
    Alot of praises have been given to the Hodge rifles for their assembly (fit and finish) but this has also brought alot of heat for a lack of explanation. I think the problem is that you cannot quantify the quality of the build on paper, it's something that you have to see and feel for yourself. Also, anything that they do "special" in the assembly sets them apart from others in the industry and is thus proprietary. While proprietary, its not something that you can patent such as a Knights E3 bolt. Why would they ever give away their trade secrets for others to copy when you cant protect them with a patent?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    That was a polymer lower
    Certainly looks like it... inside the break anyway. And there's some weird thing on the RE... like a folding hinge or something?

In any case, those Poly lowers used to break when people would do pistol caliber guns on them and not switch to a heavy buffer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Looks to be 2099 they are using over 7075. It's been around for a while (1960's?) in other forms, and I believe around 2007 was about the current time frame for the Alcoa blend that is now 2099. It's good stuff for sure, the thermal impact is much less on 2099 over 7075, although as temps increase, 7075 retains some of it's ductile properties over 2099.

Our receivers are thicker than a forging in the main bore on our uppers even though they are lighter by a good amount. All of our weight savings was taken from less critical areas.

Interesting stuff!

I am going to look into a plate form of the 2099.

Weight savings, strength, and more corrosion resistant??? Whats not to like besides the price.
    Founder and co-owner/operator at 2A-Armament

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    ^agreed. I don't understand though why people feel the concept of factory-custom fit & finish is so elusive. Mil-spec is a range. You can specify any increment within that range and it will be "in-spec". How well this is done for fit and finish is a matter of understanding the dimensions of the parts and speccing them for desired fit (the kind of stuff not published; why this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmYULfaqFfA, is impressive). But more then that it is a commitment to QC and contracting a manufacture that can consistently and cost effectively meet your specifications. It says more to me about a company's precision capabilities, commitment, and standards than anything else (so long as it is also coupled with quality in other areas (like Hodge) and not just a suckers selling point distracting from cut corners elsewhere).

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast