Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.56 Suppressor Cover?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elnino31 View Post
    I use a tab gear cover and it does seem to slide all over the place.

It's on a bolt gun, I can't see any real reason to use one on a gun without a magnified optic.
    Which model are you running? Mine fits super snug and has retention built in to keep it from sliding.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    I have my SBR put together and am waiting for my Surefire SOCOM suppressor. I was wondering if any makes, or uses, a suppressor cover on their suppressed SBR. I know how hot a suppressed 5.56 rifle can get and was just curious to know if this is something people use. Thank you.
    Best I've found and used.

Rifles Only MAD cover. The inner core is rated to 3,000 degrees, and uses a bungee mechanism to keep the can from sliding. The outer sleeve is also replaceable so you can change out the camo pattern.

I'm currently using one on a SOCOM762-RC.

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/...sor-cover.html

Edit to add: I also use a M240B spare barrel bag to lay my suppressors down on at the range. The inside is rated to 2,000 degrees and helps prevent melting benches that have rubber mats on top. It's also nice to be able to throw suppressors in the bag and head home instead of waiting 30 minutes for them to cool down. You can routinely find them on ebay for 35.00 used.
    Last edited by domestique; 10-22-14 at 22:39.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP,
    I wouldn't worry about running a suppressor cover on a SBR. If it did melt or burn most of the companies won't warranty them if they are used under high strings of fire. I would get some high tempature gloves, Ironclad makes some that are rated for 600 degrees. I also like domestique's idea about the M240 barrel bag. Hope this helps brother.
    Rangers Lead The Way

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    One thing to keep in mind is that these covers don't allow your can to cool anywhere close to as fast when installed. While they can prevent burns etc during transitions (or catching your pants on fire) they should probably be removed as soon as you can.

I don't have any hard data on longevity issues with extended heat retention (and if I did, no doubt it would vary from can to can) but it seems prudent.

Thermal regulation isn't just for suppressors though

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

5.56 Suppressor Cover?

I have the Griffon Industries Mini on my SOCOM 556SB. The Mini cover allows access to the locking release with out moving the cover.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414094953.117913.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kknick; 10-23-14 at 15:11.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that these covers don't allow your can to cool anywhere close to as fast when installed. While they can prevent burns etc during transitions (or catching your pants on fire) they should probably be removed as soon as you can.
    On bolt gun... in between strings of fire, it's common to slide the cover back onto the barrel to allow the can to cool.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed30 View Post
    Which model are you running? Mine fits super snug and has retention built in to keep it from sliding.
    It's on a 30p-1. No Velcro, but does have a retention collar on one side. It's snug, but still moves over the course of one 10rd mag.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elnino31 View Post
    It's on a 30p-1. No Velcro, but does have a retention collar on one side. It's snug, but still moves over the course of one 10rd mag.
    Yeah the one I have is apparently the updated version that has retention collars on both ends to prevent sliding like you have been experiencing.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12