Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rehab from Hip Replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Rehab from Hip Replacement

Got me a bionic hip yesterday and I wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with rehabbing after a hip replacement? Specifically any extra workouts, nutrition, supplements and etc. that may have worked for you or a friend. I'm 53, in excellent shape and willing to try anything reasonable even if it's "out there".

Thanks!
    “Beware unearned wisdom.” Jung

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Will you be going to physical therapy? PT was not part of my rehabilitation, I think it should have been. That was in 07, maybe it has changed. I wish you well and hope you get relief from the pain involved.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Rehab concepts vary by surgeon, operative method, hardware, and unique patient parameters. I would recommend that you rehab according to your surgeon's recommendations rather than getting Internet advice on a gun forum. Just sayin'...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Rehab concepts vary by surgeon, operative method, hardware, and unique patient parameters. I would recommend that you rehab according to your surgeon's recommendations rather than getting Internet advice on a gun forum. Just sayin'...
    Agreed x50. Got to filter everything but the S/N ratio here is outstanding - on almost every subject. Hoping for a been there done that wish I would have done x instead of y type response but thank you.
    Plus hospitals are f*** boring.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Will you be going to physical therapy? PT was not part of my rehabilitation, I think it should have been. That was in 07, maybe it has changed. I wish you well and hope you get relief from the pain involved.
    Actual got up a walked around the bed a few minutes ago. Don't know what the PT plan is, if they don't give me one I'll work up one of my own- hence my quest for knowledge.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGunNut View Post
    Actual got up a walked around the bed a few minutes ago. Don't know what the PT plan is, if they don't give me one I'll work up one of my own- hence my quest for knowledge.
    Hmmm...in a qualified joint program, your rehab should have been outlined clearly with Powerpoints and handouts at the preoperative education meeting. It's distressing to imagine that you could actually get to the day of surgery without anyone clearly explaining the postoperative process, including a detailed rehab plan. Furthermore, the physical therapists and probably the occupational therapists should be all over you this morning to begin your rehab or at least explain the process. At our facility, the majority of the patients are discharged the morning after hip or knee replacement surgery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Hmmm...in a qualified joint program, your rehab should have been outlined clearly with Powerpoints and handouts at the preoperative education meeting. It's distressing to imagine that you could actually get to the day of surgery without anyone clearly explaining the postoperative process, including a detailed rehab plan. Furthermore, the physical therapists and probably the occupational therapists should be all over you this morning to begin your rehab or at least explain the process. At our facility, the majority of the patients are discharged the morning after hip or knee replacement surgery.
    This was the level of care I was expecting. PT today consisted of a security strap and a walk. I knew more about physiology than the "therapist". Thanks for the reply, this just confirms I've been shorted on details.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    TGN, I just had a knee replaced and the day following surgery they had everyone who had a knee replaced or a hip replaced (12 of us) out of bed for a short walk, and then we had an in the hospital 1 hour PT session twice a day for three days, before they released us.

The lady who lives across the street from me had her hip done about the same time I had my knee done and her doctor is sending her to outpatient therapy. When your doctor comes in to see you, ask about therapy.

Good luck with recovery, I hope everything turns out good for you.
    Marriage is a good institution, considering you're ready for one.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If they don't give you PT plan ask a LOT of questions as to why, why not, when can you start.... My MIL had the hip replacement at 65 and they had her in PT the day after. Plans can and do vary by surgeon and patient so cookie cutter don't work, but there should be a plan.

Do NOT work up your own. Get a referral to a therapist and have them set you up. Even if you have to come up with some cash to cover it you'll be better off in the long run.

Feedback Score
    TexasGunNut,

What made you realize you needed a hip replacement?

Chronic ball and socket pain or ...?

Yesterday, out of the blue my left hip, ball and socket joint, hurt like crazy, not for the entire day and today no pain.

I wonder if this is how it starts out, gradually worsens, and then yep, you need a bionic hip.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast