Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a Suppressor.

Feedback Score

Traveling with a Suppressor.

Hello all simple question as I am unsure of the answer but I know you have to notify the ATF if you go between state lines with an SBR. But I'm unsure if you need to do the same with a can? I'm going on a hunting trip in January I live in Florida will be traveling to Georgia. I won't be using the can to hunt with but will have some time to shoot and would like to shoot with my can. If anyone could clear this up for me would be great! Also if it's already been answered please direct me towards the thread as I don't get on here often. Thanks a lot!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    You do not need to file a ATF form 5320.20 to travel with a suppressor, although some would say its a good idea as a CYA especially if you are going through states like NJ, NY, IL, MD, CA. If traveling by air it is declared as a firearm same as a rifle/pistol. Make sure you know the NFA laws of all the states you are visiting and carry a copy of all your paperwork. Also would be a good idea to have a case that locks to store it in. I just use a small pelican case.
    Last edited by themonk; 10-22-14 at 11:54. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Awesome thank you!

Feedback Score
    Never hurts to actually read the form itself.

The very first item under Instructions on the 5320.20 says:

a. A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun is required under the provisions of Section 922 (a)(4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR, a letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in lieu of the form.

(Although, letters are no longer accepted...but you can fax the forms in if you wish)

Required for SBR/SBS/DD/MG...but not suppressors and AOWs.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 10-22-14 at 11:47.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    Never hurts to actually read the form itself.

The very first item under Instructions on the 5320.20 says:

a. A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun is required under the provisions of Section 922 (a)(4), Title 18, U.S.C., and Section 478.28, Title 27, CFR, a letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in lieu of the form.

(Although, letters are no longer accepted...but you can fax the forms in if you wish)

Required for SBR/SBS/DD/MG...but not suppressors and AOWs.
    I'm new to the SBR game and would like to take mine on a trip sometime, are you saying the only way the ATF tales 5320.20 anymore is by fax?
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    You mail in 2 copies of the 5320.20. You can fax it but its a good idea to call first and they will give you the fax number along with instructions. If mailed generally takes about 2 weeks. You used to just be able to send them a letter now you need to mail/fax in 2 copies of the 5320.20.
    Last edited by themonk; 10-22-14 at 11:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    I'm new to the SBR game and would like to take mine on a trip sometime, are you saying the only way the ATF tales 5320.20 anymore is by fax?
    No. You can mail or fax.

The form says signatures must be in ink, which would imply you have to mail them in. Just pointing out this is no longer the case.

You simply fax the form to the NFA Branch, no need to call ahead. It's the normal phone number, just change the last digit to a 1 (so, 304.616.4501). I choose to fax two copies so they can file one and send one back without having to make any copies. Others just send in one form.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    No. You can mail or fax.

The form says signatures must be in ink, which would imply you have to mail them in. Just pointing out this is no longer the case.

You simply fax the form to the NFA Branch, no need to call ahead. It's the normal phone number, just change the last digit to a 1 (so, 304.616.4501). I choose to fax two copies so they can file one and send one back without having to make any copies. Others just send in one form.
    FYI - the number I was given to fax was - 304-616-4520

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    FYI - the number I was given to fax was - 304-616-4520
    Interesting.

I'll stick that back for reference. I've used the other one a couple times this year and had them approved. (One set was lost and I had to fax them again).

I had one set faxed 7/18, approved 7/23, received 7/26.
    Other set was faxed sometime in Aug, hadn't heard anything by Sep, so I called to check and they had to record of them. New set faxed 9/10, approved 9/20, received 10/8.

As info, if you fax them in, they do mail them back. Also, you can call the same number you call to check on F1s/F4s, and they can tell you if the form has been approved.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 10-22-14 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    PS - be prepared for them to use the slowest mail option possible for when they send it back. It always takes at least a week and I could walk to the NFA offices in WV in a week from where I live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast