Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I be the man with one gun?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Should I be the man with one gun?

I want your honest opinions. I live in a state thats not friendly to AR's. I do have a carry permit in this state as well. So heres my thoughts. I have a nice pistol I carry, but do not get to shoot half as much as I should to be proficient with it in a very bad situation. I have a rifle that I've setup the way I always wanted, but dont get to shoot as much either. Currently money is short, so I can not just go buy ammo when I feel like it. I'm thinking I should sell my rifle to fund ammo and training for my pistol. What say the members here? With the saturation of the market with uppers and rifles, I probably will lose money doing this. I guess my thought is my pistol can be with me at all times, when my rifle is in the safe unless I'm on private property. And if S ever hits the Fan, then I just have to fight my way to a rifle. I dont see how I can have both. Thanks for you opinions.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've regretted selling a gun every time I have done it. Eventually I have replaced what I've sold and it costs me money. I wouldn't sell anything if I were you, especially your rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unless you are selling to fund a newer/better rifle I wouldn't. Market is soft as well and unless you are willing to get to take a substantial lose or it ain't likely to sell quick anyway. Also, I understand the desire to want to train and not being able to, but if it is a quality piece, clean and lube it, leave it in the safe, and once funds allow then train, even if it is in two or three years.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can relate to this, except for the fact I have my own property and shoot when I want.
    I recently sold one of my two Sig SP2022s because I was in a pinch, I had already made a deposit on a German Rottweiler pup, a championship breed with a 20 year bloodline/family tree. As I awaited him to be born and ready for pick up finances went south. I lacked a few bucks to complete the purchase, so I sold a pistol to my local shop and lost my butt on it as far as money. It was a sacrifice I saw necessary to get my new best friend.
    I buy my ammo from the same guy... it's tough to see "my gun" in the case for sale.
    Longtime customer I've been there he told me I could buy it back if it hung around for $25 more than what he gave me for it. But if you don't HAVE to sell, hang on to it and be patient on the training.
    Now if you need money to put food in your kids belly that's a different story
    The rifle is yours, It'll be fine in the safe, selling it for practice ammo for the pistol will be shot up and gone.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Unless you absolutely need the money elsewhere, I would keep both as well. When funds for ammo are low, you can still dryfire and practice manipulations, mag changes, transitions, etc. at home. Then as funds allow, you can hit the range or get to structured classes.

Feedback Score
    There are any number of scenarios where your pistol could need repairs, be lost, stolen, etc. You would then need to rush out and buy a second firearm if you had none. Keep the rifle- see Kain's comments above.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    Unless you absolutely need the money elsewhere, I would keep both as well. When funds for ammo are low, you can still dryfire and practice manipulations, mag changes, transitions, etc. at home. Then as funds allow, you can hit the range or get to structured classes.
    +1. Don't underestimate the value of dry fire practice as suggested here. Get some dummy rounds and practice on the cheap. It doesn't replace putting live rounds on target but it has its place in the training regimen and shouldn't be ignored, especially in your circumstances.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know these cost a little money, but have you thought about any laser systems for dry fire practice?

https://www.laser-ammo.com/SureStrik...ng-system.html

I can't speak from experience with them but is something I've thought about trying to save ammo cost.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just my .02 cents but unless I had to feed my kids I wouldn't sell my only rifle. You will never be able to replace what you sold for what you got for it and once the cash is gone you have nothing. Dry fire practicing with your pistol is almost as good as the real thing if applied with disciple and purpose. Hang on to your hardware, work on your software as much as you can without spending money. Your financial situation will get better and then you can feed both guns again.
    “Beware unearned wisdom.” Jung

Feedback Score
    Please, keep your rifle.

As time and circumstances permit, consider moving to a gun friendly state like Texas.

Yes, I know, kinship, close friends, etc. have to be factored into your decision, but I'd move when moving is made possible.

All of my (other) loved ones live in N.E., but I just can't imagine living is such hostile, anti gun states.

They want their citizens to be sheep....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast