Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 308 BUILD ADVICE

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Yep - I was eyeballing that last night thinking I somehow missed something, going hmm thats real and then doing the ol' "poly vs conventional rifling" dance...as if it really matters, like I'm really going to be able to tell.
    My main internal debate is gas-length - going rifle vs mid. May have to throw this into the group.
    I'll probably jump on it though - if I can somehow liberate 3 bills without my wife knowing. As if...
    Looks like Santa may come twice this year. Lucky for him ;-O
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Yep - I was eyeballing that last night thinking I somehow missed something, going hmm thats real and then doing the ol' "poly vs conventional rifling" dance...as if it really matters, like I'm really going to be able to tell.
    My main internal debate is gas-length - going rifle vs mid. May have to throw this into the group.
    I'll probably jump on it though - if I can somehow liberate 3 bills without my wife knowing. As if...
    Looks like Santa may come twice this year. Lucky for him ;-O
    I have read that with the midlength an adjustable gas block is preferred, but that a rifle length gas system almost negates the need for one. I am not sure what to think on that one. I really do not need the extra length of the 20" as I will probably hardly ever get the chance to take this thing past 600yrds. So it just ends up being extra weight. But the rifle length gas system and the sale have me very tempted.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    Fixed stock configurations are done all the time. Use an AR15 rifle extension tube, with an AR10 rifle buffer and spring, or the JP SCS AR10 with spacer.
    I am looking for any info (personal experiences) and sources on AR10 buffers which will work in a rifle length extension. For clarification...an A2 rifle length buffer will not work correct?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I am looking for any info (personal experiences) and sources on AR10 buffers which will work in a rifle length extension. For clarification...an A2 rifle length buffer will not work correct?
    I bought this buffer tube http://www.pof-usa.com/shop/index.ph...roller=product & this buffer spring & buffer, reccomendation from Clint over at heavy buffers http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine XH Carbine Buffer - 8.5 ounces, http://www.heavybuffers.com/springs.html .308 RIFLE Buffer Spring - ArmaLite #EA1095. I haven't finished my upper as of yet. My build is DPMS variation. Contact Clint over at heavy buffers im sure he could help you out.
    Last edited by Christopher; 12-08-14 at 23:38.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    About to order a barrel last night when I experienced that moment of uncertainty - it will be an 18" tube, but then there's a choice, cost difference is nominal:

Rainier Match
    Or
    Rainier Select

I'm inclined to go with the 'select' unless there's some convincing argument I should go with the 'match' (simple budget issue).

Both have identical gas-length, chambers, and are 416.
    They are however from different blanks, and have different rifling.
    Hoping someone can share some input?
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123