Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accuracy problem.

Feedback Score

Accuracy problem.

http://i.imgur.com/8K3ss0c.jpg

This is the AR I built for long range. I'm anticipating building a 20" AR further down the road that will wear this Leupold scope, and this one will wear a lower magnification optic.

This is what it has on it (copy/paste):
    Rainier Arms upper and lower
    Rainier Arms Match 16" Mid-Length Barrel (.223 Wylde with 1in8 twist)
    Vortex Flash Hider
    Centurion Modular Rail
    Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14x40 sitting in a Larue LT-104
    Magpul UBR
    BCM Charging handle Mod4 and pistol grip Mod1
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger
    Harris LM-S Bipod

Here is where the problem comes in. It won't group for shit. I'm lucky if I get 7 MOA out of it at 100 yards. I've tried 100 rounds of my friends reloads, LC M855, Fiocchi Match, Wolf Gold, and a Winchester White Box. They all shoot like shit. I don't think it's me, my friend has a similar rifle, but with a GI trigger, and I group sub MOA with his rifle... with next to no trigger time behind it. Hell, I get better results with my Ruger American Rimfire.

I assembled this rifle from scratch and I'm confident that the barrel nut is on right and the scope is torqued properly. All witness marks are still aligned. I had some clearance issues with the gas block and the CMR rail, but I fixed it and have ~2mm of space, which should be plenty.

Anything I can start checking/trying before I disassemble this thing and try it again? I'd expect much better results from this barrel.
    Last edited by netchemica; 08-11-14 at 22:50.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you seriously want to have it diagnosed, you can send the upper to me. I can do a safety inspection, test fire, diagnostic, and corrective action; all recorded.

Sincerely, let me know.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The rifle's parts, and configuration should definitely yield accurate results.

If the barrel install was done successfully as you stated, then really the only thing that jumps immediately out is making sure you didn't over torque your muzzle device on when installing.

The ammo you listed that you tried isn't the greatest at all for precision/accuracy testing. That ammo most likely isn't capable of sub MOA or close to it especially with stuff like m855(10rd groups).

Get some true match grade ammo...Hornady 55gr. Vmax is my personal "control" for 100yds.

Obviously I'd be inspecting my crown, and inside of the barrel as thorough as possible as well.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 08-11-14 at 23:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with Trident82. Hornady 55g VMax should shoot really well. Hornady 68g match ammunition should also perform well.

Over-torqueing the muzzle device will have an adverse effect on accuracy. Muzzle devices on my high power rifles are screwed on hand tight and kept in place with Loctite Blue. On any other rifle, I torque the muzzle device on at the low end of the specified torque range.

What kind of groups does your friend shoot with your rifle?
    Last edited by T2C; 08-12-14 at 01:57.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    OP, spend the coin and take failure to stop up on his offer. Seriously. Like, right now.

EDIT: With no offense toward Trident, who gives solid advice.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-12-14 at 05:45.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Is the hardware used to mount the bi-pod touching the gas block? If not try it without the flash hider and then try another scope.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I agree with Trident82. Hornady 55g VMax should shoot really well. Hornady 68g match ammunition should also perform well.

Over-torqueing the muzzle device will have an adverse effect on accuracy. Muzzle devices on my high power rifles are screwed on hand tight and kept in place with Loctite Blue. On any other rifle, I torque the muzzle device on at the low end of the specified torque range.

What kind of groups does your friend shoot with your rifle?
    I'm not sure if it's over torqued or not. I'll take it off and out it on hand tight, the flash hider is designed to tighten itself during normal use, so I'm not too worried about it coming off.

My buddy never shot for groups, we have a ?10"? gong at 600 yards that we were shooting at. He can hit it 9/10 times with some cheap match ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Is the hardware used to mount the bi-pod touching the gas block? If not try it without the flash hider and then try another scope.
    I haven't checked that, I'll take a look when I get home.
    Last edited by netchemica; 08-12-14 at 07:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you seriously want to have it diagnosed, you can send the upper to me. I can do a safety inspection, test fire, diagnostic, and corrective action; all recorded.

Sincerely, let me know.
    PM sent

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How much clearance does your gas block have inside the handguard with the bipod attached? Could be shadows but it looks like you might have a barrel harmonics issue.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Some good suggestions.

Make sure your LaRue mount is not partly on the rail and partly on the upper. I always want that to work but.... nope.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast