Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rguns Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group - Finish flaking off

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ah okay, my mistake.

I have never had any problem with any carrier from any manufacturer, as they have all been the traditional phosphate finish.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Get one from WMD, I have 6000+ rounds on one with no issues.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j894 View Post
    Is it even worth having the nickel boron finish then, even on a better quality piece like Spike's?
    NiB is a carbon magnet. The bolt I broke looked like a GI bolt because the porous surface of NiB just held carbon like velcro.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have never had a problem with my finish flaking off, but then again all of mine have been parkerized.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by azoutdoorsman View Post
    Ah okay, my mistake.

I have never had any problem with any carrier from any manufacturer, as they have all been the traditional phosphate finish.
    I have not either in my experience with other parts. I guess I should of kept it that way but I was looking for a bolt setup that would clean easier

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    Get one from WMD, I have 6000+ rounds on one with no issues.
    Whats your impression of their quality and ease of cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    NiB is a carbon magnet. The bolt I broke looked like a GI bolt because the porous surface of NiB just held carbon like velcro.
    Mine doesn't seem to be porous like you describe but more of a polished finish that wipes down. Though I have not shot enough to clean every nook and cranny to find out how it is as a whole. The pictures posted by Junkie above seem like a more porous finish though.

Anyway, I called AIM today and was able to discuss my concerns in better detail and come to a mutual understanding. Joshua offered to contact Rguns if I did not get a response after a few more days. That's more like it.

Feedback Score
    I have a Fail Zero, and it is awesome! Not sure what they use, but it's not junk. Cleans with just a rag, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Feedback Score
    + 1 on the fail zero. It's the only bolt I use now.

Feedback Score
    I have no experience with your brand. If you look for another, I'm running an Ares Armour nib that is flawless. It's a great finish, runs slick as hell, and cleaning it up is never more than running a rag over it. It's so slick, you can feel the difference when you run the charging handle. Maybe those of you with bad experiences got some poorly plated ones but I would hardly say the nib is for suckers.

Good luck to you sir.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry to read of your bad experience. As stated though, RGuns does not have a good reputation. Glad to read that AIM will try to help you out though.

FWIW, I have been using a Rainier Arms Precision Match NiB BCG in one of my ARs for quite some time now and have not experienced any flaking or discoloration problems. The tail of the bolt does still get crusty and still needs to be scraped, but it is still much easier than my phosphated BCGs and the rest does still wipe off with a rag and a little lube. I've actually bought another one for my next build because of this.

Feedback Score
    NiB is very slick to the touch, but is very porous on a microscopic level. MarkMs bolt was black, but still very slick (and slightly hydrophobic).
    If you have anything plated, have it done by someone who knows what they are doing. Many people think they do, but (as we can see), they don't - or their QA measures suck.
    Flaking plating = complete failure. Like anything else-buy quality and avoid issues.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast