Thread: New Build Idea...

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

New Build Idea...

So, I currently have (as my main upper):

14.5" BCM Midlength Upper, DD RIS II, BCM BCG, pinned BCM GF Comp

I plan on buying a 556 Saker soon, and will need to have my BCM GF Comp cut off and have the Saker mount pinned on. Knowing that I will have to have this work done, I am toying with the idea of buying a factory Noveske 14.5" Afghan Switchblock bbl and having that installed in lieu of my BCM CL bbl. I want the switchblock due for the added reliability and function when used suppressed.

Now, if I do this, I will need to either get a new rail, or have my DD RIS II modified. I know that section can be cut out of the top portion in order to accomodate the switchblock, but I do not trust myself to do this.

Does anyone know of any reputable smiths that can do this work for a reasonable price? With the cost of the new barrel and shop prices, am I getting close to what a factory Noveske Switchblock upper would cost?

Would it be wise to buy a headspaced bolt with the barrel, or will I be fine using my BCM bolt?

Is the Switchblock even worth all this hassle (when my suppressor comes in, I will be shooting almost always suppressed due to very sensitive hearing)?

(tried to contact Marvin at Nefarious for this job, but cant for the life of me get ahold of him)
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 10-23-14 at 03:03.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I would recommend taking a look at an adjustable gas block instead of the Noveske Switchblocked barrel. Although I haven't tried one yet, the SLR Rifleworks' Sentry seems to be the front runner in adjustable blocks. The Sentry gas block is $125, but there would be no need to mill out your DD RIS rail, or buy a pricey Noveske barrel and gas block, so considerably cheaper by comparison. The SLR Sentry gas block would be a fair bit lighter to, if that matters to you.

Side note: if your current gas block was factory installed it will be a bit of a pain to remove.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If you get the new barrel, I would at least buy a new bolt.

There's a pic of an RISII with a switchblock in this thread, I'd contact him about modding the rail.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...er-build/page2

Feedback Score
    Another, less conventional, option is Innovative Arms' adjustable receiver. It moves the adjustable point from the gas block to the receiver itself. It appears gimmicky, but I haven't seen any negative reviews of it, either.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman