Thread: First Spear Strandhogg review

Feedback Score

First Spear Strandhogg review

I posted this on the other forum but I felt like it could be helpful here too!

Got a new piece of kit in this week; the First Spear Strandhogg plate carrier.

After unboxing it, the first thing I noticed is the weight or lack there of. First Spear did away with the traditional molle and pals webbing which cuts the overall weight of the carrier significantly. With a "pounds equal pain" mentality you'll certainly notice the reduction in weight the longer you wear it.

Replacing the external webbing on the outside of the carrier, are precision laser cut slots. These slots are designed to accept both the FS 6/12 system as well as traditional malice clips. This is a great feature, you can choose to utilize FS pouches and keep weight to a minimum or use your old pouches, that you already have, and attach them as you normally would. No matter which option you choose, pouches mount solidly and stay in position with no sagging or moving around. This is the way in which the 6/12 system attaches their various pouches -

Of note; the 6/12 pouches were exponentially easier to attach to the carrier than weaving malice clips through molle webbing, any molle webbing.

Another difference from my other carriers is in the way you donn and doff the carrier. I can't speak highly enough about the Tubes that FS uses to accomplish this.

Instead of pulling up on a front mounted flap (typically where you have mags mounted) then stripping off one side of the cummberbund to doff the carrier, all you need to do is pull away from your body on the paracord attached to any of the Tubes and slide it up or down. It's quick, effective and only requires one hand to remove the carrier.

The Tubes are molded from high strength GhillieTEX material provided by ITW Military Products and they feel indestructible in the hand. At no point did they ever become unsecured without intentionally removing the carrier.

Here's a link to First Spear testing the Tubes -
    YouTube test
    If that doesn't destroy them, then nothing I ever do will.

The inside of the carrier has areas of padding sewn in creating a channel, lined with mesh to help with airflow. I found it very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

The shoulder straps are padded and very comfortable. They have a good range of adjustment and kept the carrier solidly in place.

Overall the carrier is very well made and thought out. It's rugged, fits well and feels streamlined instead of giving you that feeling of excessive bulk. I couldn't be happier with it.

As far as the company goes; they couldn't be more helpful responding promptly to multiple emails from me. They were quick and courteous.

Let me end by saying I have no affiliation with First Spear, just thoroughly impressed with the Strandhogg.

Feedback Score
    Good review! And on point. we just had our orders arrived for our unit, have you noticed that they run a little on the small side? We had to ship back a lot and switch them out to the next size up. Also getting sapi plates with the soft armor to fit is quite a chore, maybe they just need braking in. Other than the sizing issue the strandhogg and 6-12 system is great!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for the review.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zambowhite View Post
    Good review! And on point. we just had our orders arrived for our unit, have you noticed that they run a little on the small side? We had to ship back a lot and switch them out to the next size up. Also getting sapi plates with the soft armor to fit is quite a chore, maybe they just need braking in. Other than the sizing issue the strandhogg and 6-12 system is great!
    All their gear runs tight, my Siege-R was the same way. If its an option, run the black ceradyne plates instead of e-sapi, gives a little more room. Once everything is together you'll never want to break it down again.