Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mass layoff prep

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Spartan Armor had that flexible panel that was like IIIa rated.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i don't know what the laws are where you live or how you get to work but where i live a company can make it illegal for us to conceal carry. but the law doesn't have a say about keeping one in our vehicle. we have had layoffs in the past and i carried in my vehicle discreetly for a few days. also i spend a lot of my time in about 4 places in the workplace i have a thought out exit for if the shtf. obviously that would determine which direction the person intent on doing harm is at. the place i work is about 250,000 square feet and 1 story with a couple of office area's that are 2 story, pretty open concept with lots of exits. for those that never been in there it is like a maze but i am familiar with every square inch of the place that would give me an advantage. they do have security measures but it would be easy to get past them.
    Last edited by weez440; 10-25-14 at 19:16.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by weez440 View Post
    i don't know what the laws are where you live or how you get to work but where i live a company can make it illegal for us to conceal carry. but the law doesn't have a say about keeping one in our vehicle.
    If you're in Minnesota, companies can't make it illegal to carry a gun, but as an at-will work state they can fire you for any reason at all, including carrying a gun, unless you have a contractual agreement that specifically prohibits it.

The law in Minnesota does have a say about keeping your gun in your vehicle....they say that if you have a permit, your employer can't prohibit you from keeping your gun in your car in their parking lot.

Feedback Score
    I dont know what the dress attire is for mgmt in your company but there are companies making bullet proof back packs and brief cases

Feedback Score
    I'm good on the legal front but would be surely fired if I was made. I'm kicking around putting one of these in a laptop bag.
    http://www.thetargetman.com/product/...semi-flexible/ thoughts?

It's something I could possibly use down the road since I don't regularly travel with the laptop bag or wear a backpack to work. As unlikely as it is that there will be an issue, a rifle threat is even less likely since the parking lot will probably be patrolled.

This is a white-collar environment and layoffs are equal opportunity at all levels. I really don't expect an issue or I wouldn't be there but events unfold around the country every day that are unanticipated.
    Last edited by elwoodcg; 10-25-14 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Spartan Armor had that flexible panel that was like IIIa rated.
    This as a starter.
    Some sort of soft armor, and start wearing it as soon as you get it so people get used to a "puffed up" shirt.

Obviously you carry at risk of losing your job.
    Historically, how close is the shooter to the target? Arms length? longer?
    I ask because a small knife, or "tactical" pen might buy enough time to get away.

Good luck.
    Winning may not be everything, but the endorsements are better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SOWT View Post
    This as a starter.
    Some sort of soft armor, and start wearing it as soon as you get it so people get used to a "puffed up" shirt.

Obviously you carry at risk of losing your job.
    Historically, how close is the shooter to the target? Arms length? longer?
    I ask because a small knife, or "tactical" pen might buy enough time to get away.

Good luck.
    I can't really justify wearing armor on my person. While it would surely be more effective than in a briefcase, I dot anticipate being specifically targeted. I could probably get away with it but it seems overkill. It's more that in could be a random bystander if someone flips. A threat could be at arms length or a hundred feet with our building layout.

I just don't want to be an unlucky schmo if shit goes south.

Feedback Score
    I could face this same eventuality in my position, though I do not work in a bad area.

Crotch carry. I'll be fired if I have to use it but if I'm fired that means I'm still alive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been through this a few times with as many as 150 employees. Mostly blue collar with office types mixed in. Without giving all the details I've found that all the people, even at their angriest, end up acting like the people in WW II stuffed into the boxcars on the way to the gas chambers... they just seem to accept the fate and don't do a whole lot else.

That's not to say I am suggesting no need to be aware, be prepared or anything else... YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Fortunately, everything went fine. As the poster above said, those impacted that I knew felt resigned and just rolled with it. Now, we're preparing for Ferguson riots. Good times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12