Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is Less, More?

Feedback Score
    I don't know if I'm minimalist.

I have 1-4x scope, 12:00 light, and 45 degree offset BUIS.

I learned shooting bolt rifles so I'm not a fan of AFG/VFG.

My choice of buttstock is due to the cheek weld and toughness (B5), pistol grip (MOE) due to cheapness, and trigger guard (plastic magpul) because I prefer the look of a "bulged" trigger guard--purely aesthetic.
    In the future, PMAGs will be the currency standard.

Feedback Score
    Main add-ons:
    * Sling
    * Iron sights
    * Weaponlight
    * Optic

Optional add-ons:
    * VFG/AFG
    * QD sling mounts
    * Suppressor
    * Panels
    * Bipod
    * Laser/Illuminator

Replacements or upgrades:
    * Ambi selectors
    * Non-A2 muzzle device
    * Non-USGI trigger
    * Enlarged trigger guard
    * QD optic mounts

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
    However, it's not any of our places to tell others how to enjoy owning their firearm(s). If someone wants to attach a lego bird-house to their UBR air-soft rail, fine, they can do as they please. If someone enjoys just owning and never even shooting their firearm, that's fine too. Just as going shooting every day and having to replace barrels every 2 months because you shoot and train so much is fine too.
    I'm not one to go about harassing people about what I think their rifle build should consist of - but once my opinion is solicited, I'll let them know that the extra stuff they have make is 'less' of a functional rifle even though it's more stuff. I only made that point because my experience at public ranges has been the goofy firearms that aren't logically thought out tend to be the ones operated in an unsafe manner (if it happens); again if asked for advice I'd direct those folks towards training and reading quality information resources. I've gone through phases of owning boat anchor carbines with extra lasers and purely aesthetic stuff attached, so I understand how much money can be poured into stuff that isn't actually helpful, and if that junk comes with the opportunity cost of not having resources to buy stuff that works and buying access to expertise, then I'm not a fan of it.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    As an old "Wood and Steel" guy, who swore he'd never own an AR, I'm having a ball with mine. Half toy and half serious for me and the only one, my wife will shoot.

S&W M&P 15T
    MP CTR stock
    Aimpoint Comp ML-3 with ARMS QD mount
    Vickers 2 point sling
    Grip-Pod (which I find very handy)
    Vltor gunfighter charge handle
    O-light with off-set mount
    Here I am, a mid-60's Mall ninja
    Are we havin fun yet?

At my age. I add what I want, to have fun. If serious ever comes, I've got a 12 gauge.

Feedback Score
    I don't know if having grips, stocks, etc...with storage in them are considered gadgets but they are the one thing that I have added ( beyond the typical M4C standard load out of an optic, light, BUIS, sling)that seems kinda extra or unnecessary, but for my job and what I do with an AR in my job, they sure are handy. I know some guys get all hung up lightweight this and lightweight that, but as somebody who's uses amount to doing everything from entries, training, standing perimeter, and the occasional "oh, crap! grab a gun and respond" situation, I have found that having the batteries to keep my optic and light running and the ability to carry some stuff to keep the gun running on me regardless of what gear I'm wearing(sometimes I'm are geared up, sometimes I'm in a suit-or anywhere in between)if something minor goes wrong are well worth the extra weight.
    Last edited by Displaced Okie; 10-25-14 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Different people shoot for different reasons, have different mindsets, and have different shooting styles. The optimal setup for the average GI isn't going to be the optimal setup for an LEO who primarily does warrants. The whole KISS setup (basically your factory irons only setup) is not a good plan for serious use in my opinion. It has kinda become a "cool" thing to do and, for this reason, it was something I felt an overwhelming desire to try and love . But seriously, I really did want to love it but it just didn't happen. Outside in the daylight I didn't feel handcuffed by the lack of accessories all that much. However, when it started to get darker, inside, or when i had to make quick shots, both my speed and my accuracy suffered (the accuracy could have been improved at the expense of more speed).

So, the things that I feel are absolutely necessary on a non-plinker, no matter who you, are a light and an optic w/back up irons (I prefer either Aimpoints or EOTechs... as badass as something like an ACOG or Elcan are, I don't like having fixed magnification because HD is one of the uses of my rifle and the ACOG doesn't work as well for me in those circumstances and Elcans are just entirely too expensive for my taste. If you feel that you need magnification, you may have a different opinion here.) I think it is pretty important to own a sling that can be easily attached to the rifle but i have found that I rarely use it. Grips, stocks, charging handle, triggers, VGs, and a few things like that may benefit people in different ways so those are really discretionary purchases. I run a VG, sopmod, and aftermarket PG but I don't require it, it just makes the rifle more comfortable to me without any loss of capability at a manageable weight. I think that Geissele triggers feel awesome but I don't put them on anything other than precision builds. When I shoot for groups on the bench I notice the trigger pull, but outside of that I don't ever notice the trigger pull.

ETA: What I really don't like (other than having a rifle loaded with poorly made cheap crap) is seeing overly redundant or conflicting setups. For example, when people put an AFG and a VG on a rifle or a free float rail and a clamp-to-barrel bipod.... shit drives me crazy hah.
    Last edited by midSCarolina; 10-25-14 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostsup View Post
    Red Dot sight (T-1), Back up sight's, light, and sling attachments are all I have on both of my rifle's.
    Same here. Have a bipod in my kit but only used to zero, not a regular fixture

The hypnotized never lie

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depends. As has pretty much been said mission drives the gear. However, most can get away with a lot less than what they have. Do you need item X? Chances are no. My requirements for a general purpose fighting rifle would be good quality irons, a sling that is also quality, and a quality light in that order, this is assuming you have a quality and reliable rifle/mags/ammo already. An optic is nice, but I can live without it if I need to, and in fact sometimes prefer irons, again depending on the mission/purpose of the rifle. Optics are nice, but again can and will fail, have pulled up a dead Aimpoint at the range before, thank god for irons. Smart enough now I keep an extra battery on the rifle for it, but again. VG? No required, and while nice for some uses, they can get in the way, and I can often shoot just fine without. Nice trigger? Again nice to have, but as long as the trigger in my rifle isn't pure shit I can cope just fine. Hell was at the range today zeroing an old Bushmaster of mine that has been taken back to a irons only rifle with an old carry handle. Still has the original Bushy crap milspec trigger. Had no issue keeping M193 in a nice tight group at 50 and staying respectable at 100 meters. Grips/buttstock/rail is again a luxury that while nice again I can get by with A2 furniture if I must and still shoot the rifle well. Will I be as comfortable? No. I much prefer my Miad grips and fancy Magpul and B5 stocks, but again on a budget, or whatever I can get by without.

You don't need the kitchen sink, useless crap, and junk on the rifle for it to work. Get a good quality rifle, mags, ammo, irons(Fixed, back up, carry handle or whatever), a sling, and a light and then start looking at the luxury items like a good optic, nicer triggers, stocks, grips, rail(if your rifle doesn't have one factory), and the small things.

Now with all that said. Is less more? Honestly, in my opinion, would I strip down my BCMs of their lights, slings, optics, nice grips and triggers, BCM CHs, extended safeties, VGs, and stocks and feel I am better off? No. While not all items are mission essential, IE Magpul grips and stocks, extended safeties, BCM CHs, nicer triggers, optics(depending on the rifle's purpose), VGs, rail covers, ect) they do aid in function, comfort, and my ability to engage targets effectively. My bare basic bushmaster is a fun toy but would not be the first choice for a go to rifle set up, even if I did mount a light.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm not sure the purpose of this thread. A rifle is a tool. You select the right tool for the job. End of discussion.

Accessories are also tools. If you're shooting DCM, you select appropriate gear. It you're running at night with nods, you select a rifle with a laser/illuminator. If you're needing something for shooting a bad guy trying to hurt your family, you use something with a light, a RDS, and a muzzle device that doesn't blow your ears out.

If you shoot 3 gun, you select a versatile but accurate rig with a magnified optic as no light.

If you're hunting, you use a variable powered optic, perhaps a can, and the right ammo.

Pick based on the task at hand. That's be point of a modular tool like the AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCGREENSWAMP13 View Post
    With all the gadgets there are for the AR rifle is it easy to over do it. What do you guys think about the fine line between necessity and too much. I'm not talking about "mall ninjas" but is it better to get rid of things you don't absolutely "need"? Or is a little coolness ok?
    My thought process:
    A, does it reduce split times, or make it easier to shoot to a specific standard?
    B, if yes, and there is more than one option? Then get the cooler one.
    C, if no are there any drawbacks? - if yes, don't buy, if no - is it worth the price?

range gun: go all what you like. I don't have any dedicated range ars at the time.

My ar is my only ar. 12" rail, handstop, light, scope/rds, and sling(and buis). Everthing has a purpose.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-26-14 at 01:17.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast