Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dots on concealed carry guns - thoughts?

Feedback Score

Red dots on concealed carry guns - thoughts?

Afternoon gents.

The bug bites again. Since I'm shopping for a new concealed carry gun, I'm once more considering the viability of a red dot sight on a CCW. The Norwich University study in 2011 makes a pretty compelling argument for the use of an RDS on a handgun, but my questions specifically relate to the usability of such a sight on a concealed carry gun. I know some departments have allowed RDS equipped duty guns; mine is not among them so I have never had the opportunity to try any handgun at all with an RDS, let alone talk to someone who's tried using one on an off-duty gun.

Does anyone have experience carrying a red dot equipped CCW? If so, can you share your experience with it? Holster availability, RDS reliability, printing concerns, everything is up for discussion.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have AIWB a G17 rmr and a M&P9 rmr for some time. With AIWB I found it not hard at all to conceal or to keep protected from the elements. I have used the rmr02 and rmr05, no issues to report with the rmr02. The rmr05 does wash out in the dark when a bright white light is used but good suppressor height sight eliminate that concern in my opinion. Working with a rmr equipped gun will make you a better irons only shooter period. Working the dot shows you deficiencies in your grip and trigger control and is bar none a no brainer at distance when fast follow up shots are needed. Paint the target and do your trigger right and you will hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I started with a DR Optic in 2001, that sight is still going strong on my sons carry gun.

I now carry a RMR on my Glock 17 or 19 and have never had an issue with them.

I went with a red dot because my eyes were getting old and it was harder to shoot at longer distance.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    From my very limited time with an rmr'd gun, I can say for thr statically likely distance of engagement an rds is not capable of out performing iron sights when used from concealment. Meaning they are nearly identical until you actually take the time to find the dot. At 5 feet there is no time to find the dot.

The only advantage it has over iron sights is if you already have the gun out and/or you need to actively engage a target that is 25y and out.

Realy world info here, not square range.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

G19 gen 3, Trijicon RMR RM06 carried daily. Not a single issue with printing, the iron sights are Ameriglo suppressor sights (plan black rear/tritium w/white outline front)

Change the battery yearly, if the optic fails use the iron sights.

Dont rely on the dot from the draw. Use the irons how you normally would. The dot is great for distance and follow up shots in my opinion.
    Last edited by Grip; 10-25-14 at 22:11.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    From my very limited time with an rmr'd gun, I can say for thr statically likely distance of engagement an rds is not capable of out performing iron sights when used from concealment. Meaning they are nearly identical until you actually take the time to find the dot. At 5 feet there is no time to find the dot.

The only advantage it has over iron sights is if you already have the gun out and/or you need to actively engage a target that is 25y and out.
    Realy world info here, not square range.

I disagree with this. I think at 5ft or those kind of ranges point shooting is more important than any sight picture. outside of that up to 10ish yards the hood make for a very effective put the target inside of the hood, press trigger, make hits. outside of that is where the dot is awesome in terms of accuracy.
    YMMV,

Chris
    Last edited by CCK; 10-25-14 at 22:12.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Feedback Score
    I carry my M&P 9 CORE 4.25" with rds in cold weather. It fits in my Comp Tac holster just fine.

As others have said distance determines which sights to use or point shoot. I compete in point shoot competition monthly.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    Living in MD, I don't often get to carry. But, when I travel to actual free states (as opposed to those who simply use that moniker), a G19 with RM07 is one of my options.

I first became interested in the RMR concept after reading some in various online forums. Then, last April when I took Steve Fisher's Critical Handgun Employment class, I saw his Nighthawk 1911 with RMR and got to shoot a fellow classmate's G19 with RMR, and I was hooked. We did quite a bit of shooting out at 25 yards in that class, and using the RMR at that distance was much easier than irons. Fisher had us shoot at 25 a lot because it mimics the length of most supermarket aisles, and what if you had to take THAT shot? Also, everyone looks accurate at 7 yards, but at 25, bad technique is apparent.

The RMR is also great for dryfire work and for hitting moving targets. Up close, point shooting will rule the day, so the above poster who mentioned that there is no time to find the dot up close is really bringing up a fallacious argument. Force on Force classes have shown me that I can effectively point shoot, while moving, at distances of around 7 yrs.

To the OP, I carry it AIWB in a holster that OST sells (or sold) made to fit the G19 with RMR. Holster selection will be limited compared with a non RMR pistol.

Also, you have to get a gun with a wide enough slide. An RMR on a Shield isn't an option. But an M&P or a 226, almost all Glocks, etc, are fine.

I definitely recommend having your slide milled to accept it and get suppressor sights to use in conjunction with it.
    Last edited by hogarth; 10-26-14 at 19:25.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you do ever have to use your red-dot equipped pistol, it might be easier for witnesses / lawmen / prosecutors to make you out as some sort of assassin wanna-be. Same for lasers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    If you do ever have to use your red-dot equipped pistol, it might be easier for witnesses / lawmen / prosecutors to make you out as some sort of assassin wanna-be. Same for lasers.
    I cant worry about that, I'm too worried about a chunk from a failing satellite impaling me as I walk my dog.
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast