Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Viking Tactics sling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Like LAV written in his tactical tips, use a modern 2 point sling, if not one of his use somebody else's. Stay away from the outdated 3 points. I've used a VCAS sling, currently using the economy version, the Victory sling. It's a well made sling with the adjustable feature and a price that doesn't break the wallet. You can get it from Brownells or directly from Blue Force.
    I have the newer generation 2 point tactical sling from Redi Mag/Boonie Packer, it is very similar to many of the more famous brands. It's installed on my backup carbine and seems to be working well for less than $20.
    Many like the VTAC slings, I'm not too familiar with it, as I've seen only a couple first hand.

That Gear Sector sling look mighty similar to the Redimag/Boonie Packer sling here, right down to the pull tab:

http://www.redi-mag.com/2paotm.php
    $18 shipped? Nice. Does anyone own one of these? I need something simply for occasional range use.
    Best Regards,
    28_days

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sam,

The Booniepacker looks more like an unpadded VTAC to my eye, especially with that long tail.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 28_days View Post
    $18 shipped? Nice. Does anyone own one of these? I need something simply for occasional range use.
    I have this one, even with the option quick detach piece, it was $20.

http://www.redimag.com/tqa.php

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I have this one, even with the option quick detach piece, it was $20.

http://www.redimag.com/tqa.php
    For someone who knows little to nothing about slings that sight sure is confusing.

There's the 2P-AOTM, 2P-TQA, and 2P-TQA-C. Can someone highlight the main differences? I guess my biggest concern is quick removal of the sling (when in storage, etc.). The front obviously quick detaches (buckle), but the rear looks as if it needs to be undone manually?

Sam, can you shed some light on this? Maybe grab a quick up close picture if possible? I'd really appreciate it!

EDIT: Sam did you get the 1 1/2 M4 Kit and pair it with one of these? http://www.redimag.com/eqr2.php -- That way you can detach it quickly from both ends?
    Best Regards,
    28_days

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    For someone who knows little to nothing about slings that sight sure is confusing.

There's the 2P-AOTM, 2P-TQA, and 2P-TQA-C. Can someone highlight the main differences? I guess my biggest concern is quick removal of the sling (when in storage, etc.). The front obviously quick detaches (buckle), but the rear looks as if it needs to be undone manually?

Sam, can you shed some light on this? Maybe grab a quick up close picture if possible? I'd really appreciate it!

EDIT: Sam did you get the 1 1/2 M4 Kit and pair it with one of these? http://www.redimag.com/eqr2.php -- That way you can detach it quickly from both ends?
    28:

As best I could tell, the AOTM sling is intended to be similar to the VTAC sling. It has the long tail on the adjustment piece.

The TQA is very similar to the Blue Force Gear sling, not identical to infringe on any potential patent but close. For those on a budget, they need to take a look at this sling.

The TQA-C is a new one. I can't tell from the picture how it differs from the TQA. Maybe it's a compromise between the AOTM (long tail) and the TQA. Some people said that slings similar to the TQA doesn't allow the rifle to be carried up close against the body, whether in front or back. While others feel that the long tail like the one on the AOTM might get in the way of other equipment and get tangle or whatever.

I'll try to take pictures tonight. I do have the 1.5" M4 kit it works well with the side sling swivel on the front and the rear piece slips into the slot in the stock in 10 seconds. The EQR2 QD front does allow quick removal, although if you have a Daniel Defense sling mount, you have double redundancy quick detach feature.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the quick write-up Sam. My rifle (when it arrives) will be very KISS. It'll have standard handguards with the standard sling swivel under the FSB. The stock will be a standard 5-position collapsible (M4 style).

Once I have a better idea of what direction I'm heading I'll have to give them a call. It's hard to understand the true differences between the VTAC and VCAS (per se) when you don't have them in front of you. But it seems like a great deal for someone who may or may not need a sling here and there.
    Best Regards,
    28_days

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Thanks for the quick write-up Sam. My rifle (when it arrives) will be very KISS. It'll have standard handguards with the standard sling swivel under the FSB. The stock will be a standard 5-position collapsible (M4 style).

Once I have a better idea of what direction I'm heading I'll have to give them a call. It's hard to understand the true differences between the VTAC and VCAS (per se) when you don't have them in front of you. But it seems like a great deal for someone who may or may not need a sling here and there.
    If your rifle has the sling mount under the FSB, you'll need the optional "silent front sling mount". The regular front sling mount on any of the 2P series slings will go on your under FSB sling swivel but it will hang awkwardly as if you just got off the "short bus" look. Order the rear M4 attachment and you'll be good to go.

Even if you get the VTAC or the VCAS slings, you'll need some kind of adapter for that front sling mount.

Blue Force Gear Victory sling (designed by Larry Vickers), picture shows the slider, pull tab and sling attachment. The VCAS model does have a quick detach buckle, whereas the Victory model doesn't.

Redi Mag/Boonie Packer sling, with the slider, pull tab, attachment method and emergency release.

I didn't bother taking pictures of the rear stock attachment, there's nothing exciting going on there.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Fantastic. Thanks for all of your help Sam!
    Best Regards,
    28_days

Feedback Score

Redimag Slings

I agree...The site is very confusing. I'm still not sure If I want to go with a 2 point. Any thoughts about Redimag's 1 point?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the general consensus is that 2-points are more versatile than 1-points. I ended up going with the 1 1/2 TQA with M4 rear / silent front sling mount combo and couldn't be happier. Granted my AR hasn't arrived yet, but the stitching and overall quality looks wonderful.
    Best Regards,
    28_days

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast