Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DBAL-PL

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

DBAL-PL

Just saw that TNVC has the presumably finalized version of the DBAL-PL on their website (click here).

I played with an earlier iteration of this at SHOT and was extremely impressed. I usually buy only Surefire, but this light has several features that make it superior to the X400 series IMO.

The battery compartment hinges down so there is no need to dismount the light to change batteries. This is important with a laser device that could lose zero after you take it off. The switching is easy to use and allows instant activation for either vis or IR light/lasers. The lasers are close to the bore line of the pistol.

Downsides are that it won't easily integrate onto a rifle, and their are no other switching options like the Surefire DG (at least yet).

While I don't have a need for an IR laser at the moment, I hope LDI creates a family of lights & lasers based on this design. Using the same body, they could create a light only, and a visible light/laser that would challenge the X300/400 family for best in class.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm very interested in this product as well. The biggest benefit is see is not having to remove the light to replace the batteries. The only downside is the weight compared to the Surefire equivalent, but it seems less bulky. I'm looking forward to reading reviews on both.
    Rangers Lead The Way

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Very interesting but man that is a lot of coin for a pistol wml.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The switching methodology makes it useless. Use your trigger finger to activate a light? That's SERPA level shit right there. Look closely, one side is IR, one side is bright. Guess you've gotta choose which hand you want to shoot with based off what type of light you need. Super classy.

And if it's constant on with a press so that you can actually use your trigger finger to, yanno, manipulate the trigger, now you've got a flashlight on the front of your gun that you can't turn off.

They have such a great design with the rest of the light, then decided to make it virtually useless for anything other than looking pretty on gun forums. LDI went from having a home run to fouling off a bunt for strike 3.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    I read somewhere that the visible laser use has white light turn on as well. That they can't be used independently

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    I read somewhere that the visible laser use has white light turn on as well. That they can't be used independently
    Correct. 'Vis' activates the laser and white light, while 'IR' activates the IR illuminator and laser. There is no way to activate the lasers independently of their respective lights.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    The switching methodology makes it useless. Use your trigger finger to activate a light? That's SERPA level shit right there. Look closely, one side is IR, one side is bright. Guess you've gotta choose which hand you want to shoot with based off what type of light you need. Super classy.

And if it's constant on with a press so that you can actually use your trigger finger to, yanno, manipulate the trigger, now you've got a flashlight on the front of your gun that you can't turn off.

They have such a great design with the rest of the light, then decided to make it virtually useless for anything other than looking pretty on gun forums. LDI went from having a home run to fouling off a bunt for strike 3.
    A momentary/constant switch ala Surefire x300 is what this needs, maybe a recessed dial on one side to control vis/ir/light or laser only...

Gonna stick with a las/tac 2.
    Last edited by Turnkey11; 10-27-14 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anyone tried mounting one of these on an AR yet? I'm intrigued.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Anyone tried mounting one of these on an AR yet? I'm intrigued.
    I'm not getting how you'd access the buttons with this unit mounted on a pic rail... Wouldn't the width of the rail cover the buttons? I think you'd have to put this on a Thorntail or some other device that gets the PL up and away from the rifle...
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    I'm not getting how you'd access the buttons with this unit mounted on a pic rail... Wouldn't the width of the rail cover the buttons? I think you'd have to put this on a Thorntail or some other device that gets the PL up and away from the rifle...
    Ahhh... I see it now... Strange place to put your switches...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast