Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The alternative to a Safariland 6285

Feedback Score

Thumbs up The alternative to a Safariland 6285

I had a previous thread looking for a new light bearing duty holster to replace my Safariland 6285.

For the previous thread: "Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abraxas
    What happened to your Safariland?

Long story, short.....

The 6285 has the 1.5" drop. I had a suicidal guy barricaded in a small bathroom. After "negotiations" with him failed I breached the door and rushed him. When I did this, I noticed two things:

1. My gun/holster was on the floor.
    2. So was my suspect.

When I went blazing through the door my holster hit the door jam and snapped the bracket holding it to my belt. Luckily I was on him fast, cuffed him and tossed him out and away from my (gulp ) weapon. I then had to pick up the gun in it's holster, with my tail between my legs and return it to my vehilce.

Anyway, after getting my ass chewed (much deserved) for rushing the guy, I took the holster home and removed the broken piece and replaced it with another bracket from another Safariland 6something or other, making the holster a mid-ride.

Now, about a week ago I went to pull my weapon to check it and it would not come out! Holy shit. It worked in the morning, and I just came off the road. Turns out the cap on the bottom protecting the light somehow got jarred loose and hooked somewhere on the gun. While trying to fix it, the som' bitch popped out. Now the light is voulnerable from the bottom. So no, I will not be getting a new one.

I will have to take pics of the broken bracket some day and post them. Bad feelings my friend...."

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14404

Here are the pictures of the broken bracket and tired holster:

The bottom breaking away...

After much searching, I decided on the Blade-Tech WRS Duty Holster with SR Loop. I am very satisfied with my decision. The BT holster is top notch. The draw is much smoother than the Safariland. It seems less "clunky" and looks great. The SR loop sets the holster just right (for me at least) where clearing body armor is not an issue. The WRS release is positive and precise. You definately know when the hood is released ("thunk"). It is manipulated in the same manner as unsecuring a thumb break.

Blade-Tech makes this holster in damn near any gun/light combo you can think of. Hopefully it will prove to be more durable than the Safarland it is replacing.

http://www.blade-tech.com/-WRS-DUTY-...p-pr-1033.html

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting this, I was looking at one of these last night for M&P .45 with the X300. How well does it sit on the belt, I.E. does it wobble a lot.

Thanks
    -DM-

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Manley View Post
    Thanks for posting this, I was looking at one of these last night for M&P .45 with the X300. How well does it sit on the belt, I.E. does it wobble a lot.

Thanks
    -DM-
    The Glock w/light in the Safariland rattles and rocks in the holster. The Blade-tech is nice and tight...no play. One very small complaint on the SR loop: I wish it was a little wider, ie cover more surface of the belt. It still is very solid and way more comfortable than what it relpaced. It seems more streamlined when wearing it. I promise you wont be disappointed. Just be aware it may take a month to recieve after ordering. PM me if you are interested in the LEO 10% discount.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    The Glock w/light in the Safariland rattles and rocks in the holster. The Blade-tech is nice and tight...no play. One very small complaint on the SR loop: I wish it was a little wider, ie cover more surface of the belt. It still is very solid and way more comfortable than what it relpaced. It seems more streamlined when wearing it. I promise you wont be disappointed. Just be aware it may take a month to recieve after ordering. PM me if you are interested in the LEO 10% discount.

Thanks PM sent.

Stay Safe
    -DM-

Feedback Score

BT

Thanks for following up on your original post of the problems you had with this one. Very interesting stuff, and the pics are worth a thousand words.

Feedback Score
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Oscar I forgot to ask you if the Blade-Tech is at least double retention.

-DM-

Feedback Score
    The hood is the only retention device (same as the 6285).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    The hood is the only retention device (same as the 6285).
    That is where I run into a problem with this set up. I need at least a dual retention per departmental policy.

-DM-

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Apparently Safariland had a recall on the UBL. This is the first I have heard of it, but I have been using the system for under a year.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...0&page=0#70488

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast