Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Border Patrol Rifles Deadlining

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Border Patrol Rifles Deadlining

A lot of this is going to be unsurprising to those exposed to bureaucracy.
    Article here:
    http://www.gunnuts.net/2014/10/24/us...fficer-safety/

Some snippets:
    what’s startling about this whole inspection by the gun cleanliness Nazis out of Harper’s Ferry is how many rifles they deadlined and how many replacement rifles were received to take the place of the deadlined rifles. In one Border Patrol sector, roughly 2400 rifles are issued. Nearly half (1000 or so) were deadlined. Guess how many replacement rifles showed up? 150.
    Ammunition. Despite wild eyed rumors and conspiracy theories about the feds buying up all of the ammo in the known world…..the Border Patrol has been hit hard by the ammo shortages just like the rest of us. They would issue 150 rounds per agent a quarter for practice ammo IF they had the ammo.
    An interesting tidbit is that the Border Patrol has a DMR (Designated Marksman, Rifle) program. Using scopes scavenged from the military surplus program known as “DRMO,” the Border Patrol had a cheap but effective setup on their more accurate rifles. My source tells me that 90% of their DMR rifles are deadlined.
    Yikes.

Apparently more to come

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yikes is right.

Unsurprising though.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    Yikes is right.

Unsurprising though.
    No kidding.

But hey, gotta pay for those blankets and meal packs for the border jumpers don't ya know.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh, jeez. I wonder how many weapons are actually deadlined, and how many are just there because the inspectors decided to be jacka$$es.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not surprised at all about this.
    Rangers Lead The Way

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Oh, jeez. I wonder how many weapons are actually deadlined, and how many are just there because the inspectors decided to be jacka$$es.
    or alternatively, how many of those rifles were out there and out-of-spec before inspectors found them and pulled them out of inventory?

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    or alternatively, how many of those rifles were out there and out-of-spec before inspectors found them and pulled them out of inventory?
    I thought the article said they were all Colts?
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure he means out of spec (as in didn't pass gaging and inspections) not out of spec like Windham Craponry, DPMS, Shrubmaster, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    I thought the article said they were all Colts?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My take away from the article is that there seems to be a problem with the management, bureaucracy and funding at BP, rather than a problem with the performance, function or reliability of their rifles.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Part of the problem is that any sort of maintenance beyond cleaning is required to be done at either Harper's Ferry or Ft. Benning. Predictably the turn around on this is extremely slow and a lot of stations can't be without rifles for that long. As a result a lot of small issues tend to get overlooked and turn into big problems.
    Add to that the fact that unlike pistols which get inspected by a firearms instructor every quarter before qualifications the rifles are rarely, if ever inspected.

All of this just compounds and makes for a lot of unreliable, or down right broken rifles.

Not to mention that funding always gets cut when Dems are in office.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast