Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 9" AAC 300BK upper, need sight and ammo recommendations

Feedback Score

New 9" AAC 300BK upper, need sight and ammo recommendations

I just got a new 9" AAC 300BK upper for my pistol lower. Now I need to figure out what the best iron sights, optic and initial ammo purchase should be. Could other owners let me know what you are using. I do not hand load and would greatly appreciate advice on which factory ammo to look for and purchase. I would like to get everything ready before my Saker 7.62 gets out of jail. I would like to try it out with both subsonic and supersonic ammo, but since the ammo is not cheap would like to avoid purchasing loads that are known to be problematic for the upper. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have the 9" SBR and have not encountered a load that was problematic. That being said I would stay away from no name factory reloads. When I first started getting into blk I purchased a bunch of Jameson remanufactured ammo. Primers fell out of 3/4 of them. The new Remington/Barnes 120gr supers are available here - http://www.cromwellsfirearms.com/ind...oduct_id=94872 I would also recommend on getting some Barnes black tips to try out as this is what you would want to run for SD ammo.

On the subs side you can generally get Remington 220gr subs for $17 a box at midway, just sign up for the alert. I would also look into reloading. With the Saker and a 9" upper you are going to go through ammo like a 13 year old with a few cases of 22lr and a 10/22. Blk forced me down the reloading road and It's one of the best decisions I have ever made. I shoot way more now from 9mm, 45, 223, and blk. After you get your can you will really only want to shoot subs.
    Last edited by themonk; 10-26-14 at 11:00.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    What do you plan to do with it when it's completed? As far as ammo, I would just shoot supers out of it for now until you get your suppressor, then play around with the subs. For break-in and plinking I would get some cheap (for 300BLK) FMJs like these:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183...ProductFinding
    or these
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/528...ProductFinding
    For deer/hog hunting rounds the Barnes 110gr VOR-TX is hard to beat:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/430...ProductFinding

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had a 10" AAC upper for almost a year now. The above sugestions are excellent. Barnes 110 is great ammo to stock up on and any decent FMJ for practice will get you through. I'm still knocking around on sub-ammo but I reload most of my blasting stuff. Since you don't reload shoot as much as you can and I'll PM you my address to send the empty brass to
    “Beware unearned wisdom.” Jung

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all for the help. I purchased some of the Barnes VOR-TX from Buds and some of the new Remington ammo from Cromwell. The Remington ammo from Cromwell was too good to be true, the price was incorrect and they offered it to me for 16.50 a box. I still got some. Now I just need to decide on some subsonic ammo. Any ideas which subsonic ammo is best when purchased by the case? Which of the Remington subs are the best, there seems to be two flavors of the 220gr? Is there another subsonic option for plinking and defense? Thanks again, this is one of a very few forums where one can receive quality responses.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I used Freedom Munitions 150gr reman without a hitch; it feed reliably and wasn't too dirty at all. Not too mention its THE cheapest supersonic rd available. I also used Remington 220 subs and the AAC 9" feed them reliably as well. That was both suppressed and un-suppresed fwiw.

As far as sights, I have decided on micro buis for the supers and a red dot for subs. My thinking is I can shoot subs and supers that way without having to mess with adjustments or holdovers.

Feedback Score
    I forgot to mention that I went with the Mbus Pro set that was on sale at Brownells and I like your idea about the iron sights for supersonic and the red dot for subsonic.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Seems complicated. Buy a good red dot and lean the holdovers. Not that drastic unless you are shooting over 100 yards with subs.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Seems complicated. Buy a good red dot and lean the holdovers. Not that drastic unless you are shooting over 100 yards with subs.
    Yeah but sharing one optic with subs and supers is a pain in the butt. But thats just me; I was having to do a 6"+ holdover to hit 100yds with subs. They way I have it setup is real simple. Red dot is zeroed for subs and then I simply turn it off and raise the buis and use them for supers. The main benefeit is that setup requires no holdovers whatsoever for the ranges I shoot (up to 200yds).
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 11-01-14 at 08:32.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast