Thread: .30 cal compensator on a .223, how much lost performance?

Feedback Score

.30 cal compensator on a .223, how much lost performance?

I really like the Griffin Armament M4SD-II Flash Comp 5.56, but it has a 1/2-28 thread for most .223/5.56 barrels, but I have a 5/8-24 thread on my .223 barrel.
    If I run the .30 cal version what might I expect in the way of performance changes?
    Anyone with both, could you measure the muzzle port size please?

I also like my Dynacomp Extreme on a 3/8 but it has the same issue that the ports are sized for a 7.62 not a 5.56.

Answers to the obvious question:
    No, I choose not to have the barrel turned and re-threaded, it is already Mennonite coated.
    I haven't been able to measure a M4SD 5.56 to see if it can take a 5/8-24 thread, might be just to thin in the back. (I'm sure just mentioning it will have Griffin lawyer's neck hair standing up)
    AR15Performance.com has their Vortex 3 Port with a muzzle port for the 223/5.56 and 5/8-24 threads, but I would like to try something like the M4SD.
    Last edited by RichM; 10-26-14 at 13:37. Reason: spelling as usual.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    I really like the Griffin Armament M4SD-II Flash Comp 5.56, but it has a 1/2-28 thread for most .223/5.56 barrels, but I have a 5/8-24 thread on my .223 barrel.
    If I run the .30 cal version what might I expect in the way of performance changes?
    Anyone with both, could you measure the muzzle port size please?

I also like my Dynacomp Extreme on a 3/8 but it has the same issue that the ports are sized for a 7.62 not a 5.56.

Answers to the obvious question:
    No, I choose not to have the barrel turned and re-threaded, it is already Mennonite coated.
    I haven't been able to measure a M4SD 5.56 to see if it can take a 5/8-24 thread, might be just to thin in the back. (I'm sure just mentioning it will have Griffin lawyer's neck hair standing up)
    AR15Performance.com has their Vortex 3 Port with a muzzle port for the 223/5.56 and 5/8-24 threads, but I would like to try something like the M4SD.
    If you are shooting 3 gun you want a high efficiency brake to reduce ALL recoil and muzzle rise. The SJC Ttan and Hill Rolling Thunder are the 2 most used brakes. Our Eliminator does a pretty good job. Most COOL looking brakes are no where near the efficiency of those 2 or other brakes made specifically for 3 gun.
    A comp(compromise IMO) is not as efficient as a full blown brake but reduces recoil more than a flash hider. Some cool looking brake do very little...and cost a lot. A bore larger than .276 will reduce the efficiency of the device.
    If you choose a comp to begin with I doubt you will notice much difference. The report below may be worth reading.
    http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/12/...ce-comparison/
    Looks like it expired a few days ago. Basically what it said was devices like the Smith Vortex did the best to reduce flash and not increase noise. Devices like the Battlecomp do not do much to reduce flash and they increase noise to the shooter. The device you are looking at looks a lot like the Battlecomp. Hopefully the guy will renew his blog and the info will come back.
    Last edited by constructor; 10-26-14 at 15:33.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    The Griffin Flash Comp is one of the best overall muzzle devices out there, and the guys at Griffin Armament are top notch and know their stuff. I would give Evan a call and ask him about performance differences and if it would be safe to rethread. I've ran the 30 cal Flash Comp on a 308 and it works very well, but I haven't tried 5.56 though it.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 10-26-14 at 15:46.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    If you are shooting 3 gun you want a high efficiency brake to reduce ALL recoil and muzzle rise. The SJC Ttan and Hill Rolling Thunder are the 2 most used brakes. Our Eliminator does a pretty good job. Most COOL looking brakes are no where near the efficiency of those 2 or other brakes made specifically for 3 gun.
    A comp(compromise IMO) is not as efficient as a full blown brake but reduces recoil more than a flash hider. Some cool looking brake do very little...and cost a lot. A bore larger than .276 will reduce the efficiency of the device.
    If you choose a comp to begin with I doubt you will notice much difference. The report below may be worth reading.
    http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/12/...ce-comparison/
    Looks like it expired a few days ago. Basically what it said was devices like the Smith Vortex did the best to reduce flash and not increase noise. Devices like the Battlecomp do not do much to reduce flash and they increase noise to the shooter. The device you are looking at looks a lot like the Battlecomp. Hopefully the guy will renew his blog and the info will come back.
    While most people who use them seem to really like the Battlecomp, I remember reading fairly negative results when it was tested alongside various other muzzle devices using reasonable testing equipment.

BTW, even when he fixes the web site your link there won't work. The ... in the middle is a problem. In order to copy a url from a forum post you need to right click/copy link address, otherwise the middle part tends to get cut out.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've tried a brake meant for .308 on a barrel like yours (.223 with a 5/8 thread) and the result was poor - very little if any braking effect.

I have run several of the cage style devices on their intended calibers (on my own guns, Griffin M4SD on a 16" .223, Griffin 308 comp on a 18" .308, ST Dynacomp 308 on a 16" .308 and on a 16" 300BLK, Griffin 308 flash-comp on a 16" .308; and on other people's guns, Griffin .223 flash-comp on a 16", and Battlecomps 1.0 and 1.5 on 16" .223s) and find all of them to be a compromise, not highly effective. Of that group, the .308 flash-comp on a 16" .308 was by far most effective, although the ST Dynacomp on a 16" 300BLK was pretty good also (oddly, it did not seem as effective on a 16" .308 Win), as was the .223 flash-comp. The .223 devices are noticeably less effective than a PWS FSC-556, although they don't blast as badly either. The devices with forward-facing holes seem, to me, to have noticeably less braking action than the ones with flash hider tines and no forward holes.

One thing to look at with those devices is that the 30 cal options seem to have about twice the internal cage volume as the .223 sized options, which I assume is proportional to the expected gas volume. I suspect that the 30 cal cage on a .223 is going to lose effectiveness not only from the larger exit hole but also from the larger cage volume. (I realize that my experience with the ST Dynacomp on a 300BLK might seem to contradict this, but I think it could also be random chance.)

I would suggest getting a device with a .223 sized exit hole (which leaves you only a few options with a 5/8 thread) or just going with a flash hider.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Im well aware of the fact that vuurwapenblog thinks that the battlecomp is horrible in virtually every way (very little additional muzzle stabilization, little to no flash reduction, and loud as can be). I gotta say, that is simply not my experience. Vuurwapenblog's results seem undeniable; yet, my very subjective experience is wholly different. I have an A2 flash hider, a BCM comp, and a battlecomp. Each of the 3 devices is on its own midlength upper. The battlecomp provides very noticeable muzzle stabilization, particularly in a lateral sense, when compared to the BCM and the A2. There is the subtle push downward, but that's a non issue for me. The BCM comp definitely has more lateral movement than the battlecomp. Ive never had the pleasure of shooting in a low light scenario. as a result, I am generally unaware of the flash reduction capabilities of each device. The BCM and Battlecomp both have periodic bursts that, in the light of day, are completely irrelevant. As far as the side blast/increased noise of the units, with proper hearing protection, im hard pressed to tell much of a difference between the BCM and the battlecomp. The A2 is slightly less "blasty" than the bcm and battlecomp. But again, proper hearing protection, as well as the inherent quirks of perception regarding sound pressure levels, frequencies, and the human ear, make sound pressure comparisons a fairly nuanced affair. I would love nothing more than to save some money and purchase a BCM comp or, even better, an A2 flash hider for my next build. I keep trying to convince myself that the battlecomp is inferior, but then I take that upper out and shoot it and it feels great. Im perplexed. Anyone else have a negative experience with the battlecomp? Positive experiences?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Rich, I'd take a look at the FSC30, the .308 version of the M4SDII flash comp, the Lantac 7.62 comp, and maybe the Fortis .308 comp or the Rainier Arms .308 baffled comp.

I have found that open comps lose less performance when used in your situation than closed ported comps like the BC, et al.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 10-28-14 at 19:49.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I wonder about using a linear comp in this situation.

Given the difference in function of a linear comp (i.e., direct everything forward), it seems like the larger .30 opening with .223 round may be less of an issue/detriment to performance. Maybe something like the Kies, Kaw Valley, or Black River Tactical options (links below). Not sure if you have any interest in a linear comp, so just throwing it out there (I understand there are other performance compromises when going to a linear comp vs a brake or non-linear comp).

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/_p/K...t%20Mstr30.htm
    http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/_p/K...EAR308-BLK.htm
    http://www.blackrivertactical.com/st...tegory=4055022