Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5 & Mini SUPPRESSORS?

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    Anyone happen to have a pic of 2 11.5s, one with an RC and one with a Mini? I know it's only 1.2" difference but it seems that 1.2" may seem like a significant reduction in length...
    Email me and Ill send you photos. Are you just after the weight or is the length a big factor? With the Surefire's, the 3 oz and performance difference with the full size, I would go with an RC every time now on a SBR. The one inch isn't a big deal (for my application at least), and either is the 3 oz. If you are going for "lightest and smallest" and set on a Mini style can. Try out a KAC QDC CQB. Its another 1/4 inch shorter then the Socom Mini and also another 2 oz lighter then the surefire. And give the same performance as the Socom mini IMO. Also the MAMS break is 2.7 oz and the surefire brake is 4oz. But price and availability is the issue with KAC stuff sometimes..
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 10-27-14 at 09:48.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Short barrels and Mini's are not hearing safe. I think of them as concussion reducers more than sound suppressors.
    I can't remember if we've tried a mini can on an 11.5 or not. But on 14.5, the minis are just as quiet, if not a little quieter for the shooter because there's less "port snap".

I remember the first time I tried a mini, I was expecting to get some discomfort in my ears, but it was actually no louder than the M4-2000 can.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't even shoot my 26" bolt gun suppressed without ear pro... So I'd say go for it.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I can't remember if we've tried a mini can on an 11.5 or not. But on 14.5, the minis are just as quiet, if not a little quieter for the shooter because there's less "port snap".

I remember the first time I tried a mini, I was expecting to get some discomfort in my ears, but it was actually no louder than the M4-2000 can.
    I love the mini socom on the 14.5. Great set up. That's where the length of can is a big factor IMO. With the 11.5 with a RC vs Mini, Ill take the performance over length all day as the 11.5 with RC is the same length as my 14.5 without the can on. With a SF Muzzle brake of course.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Email me and Ill send you photos. Are you just after the weight or is the length a big factor? With the Surefire's, the 3 oz and performance difference with the full size, I would go with an RC every time now on a SBR. The one inch isn't a big deal (for my application at least), and either is the 3 oz. If you are going for "lightest and smallest" and set on a Mini style can. Try out a KAC QDC CQB. Its another 1/4 inch shorter then the Socom Mini and also another 2 oz lighter then the surefire. And give the same performance as the Socom mini IMO. Also the MAMS break is 2.7 oz and the surefire brake is 4oz. But price and availability is the issue with KAC stuff sometimes..
    More concerned with overall length (think home defense scenario) and also concerned with the amount of flash coming out of the suppressor, basically trying to figure out if the 11.5 with mini can would be a decent home defense option.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    More concerned with overall length (think home defense scenario) and also concerned with the amount of flash coming out of the suppressor, basically trying to figure out if the 11.5 with mini can would be a decent home defense option.
    I would say better than a unsuppressed 11.5". I couldn't imagine shooting a 10-11" gun indoors without ear pro, especially with a brake or comp installed. I always shoot with ears on, so transitioning to a mini can like the QDC CQB is strictly for the length and weight reduction over the NT4 Im using now.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    From my experience with shooting 11.5 without ears, inside a home, that it is still very loud even with a full size can. But you will still be able to hear, talk to someone, etc afterwards. Every can IMO is going to have some flash regardless. If a HD compact package is your primary use, the mini might be your best bet. Its loud whatever you are using indoors, but you wont be forever def. Your ears will still ring.. that's for sure.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 10-27-14 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have two uppers that fall on either end of your spectrum (10.5 and 12.5), I use my AAC Mini 4 quite often with them and fairly regularly without hearing protection. This always occurs outside, on my own private lane so there is little that the sound is "bouncing" off of, but I haven't been too terribly bothered by the sound; of course there is a crack to it, but with the round chosen that seems unavoidable.

I do have a 762 SDN-6 in purgatory now however, I am curious to see the differences. Thus far the difference seems negligible between the two short uppers listed above and my full size 16 and 14.5's.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    From my experience with shooting 11.5 without ears, inside a home, that it is still very loud even with a full size can.
    Same here with a 14.5. I shot a few rounds in an abandoned structure that had was fairly open to the outside from missing doors/windows, and it was damned loud.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Same here with a 14.5. I shot a few rounds in an abandoned structure that had was fairly open to the outside from missing doors/windows, and it was damned loud.
    See reading this changes my outlook entirely, makes me wanna throw a brake on everything (as a sacrificial baffle) and shoot suppressed 100% of the time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast