Thread: 18" SPR'ish' Build

Feedback Score

18" SPR'ish' Build

Here's my latest build. I wanted something a little different than my Carbines running Aimpoints and EOTechs.

So far I'm more than pleased with this rifle. It's way more accurate than I am. There are going to be some Coyotes that are not going to like this thing here soon.

Upper:
    - MEGA Arms billet upper
    - Rainier Arms UltraMatch 18" Stainless SPR barrel
    - Geissele 15" SMR Mk2 rail
    - Syrac Ordnance GenII adjustable gas block
    - BCM BCG
    - AAC muzzle brake
    - Magpul MBUS Pro BUIS
    - Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 scope (Overkill, but the glass is excellent)
    - American Defense Recon scope mount
    - BCM Gunfighter charging handle (Large latch)
    - Harris bi-pod on an American Defense QD mount

Lower:
    - MEGA Arms Ambi billet lower
    - Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger
    - Battle Arms Development selector
    - Magpul MOE Rifle stock
    - Magpul K2 grip
    - BCM Rifle extension
    - Sprinco 'Green' spring with standard rifle buffer

It's been sharing my M4-2000 with my SBR.

100 Yard Grouping w/ Hornady 75gr BTHP handloads @ 2700fps (suppressed):

300 Yard grouping w/ Hornady 75gr BTHP handloads @ 2700fps (suppressed):
    Last edited by thecolter; 10-30-14 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    Nice build man! That reminds me a lot of Noodles SPR that he built about a year ago or so.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    That's a nice looking shooter! I've had a nearly identical project in my safe for a long time now, but it's in 308. It has a MOE rifle stock on it, however I haven't gotten to really develop a feel for it since there is no barrel or handguard. I've been debating whether or not to swap it onto another of my guns that currently has an A5 buffer and EMod. How do you like it?

Do you plan on keeping the 6-24x50 on there long term, or is that a place holder for something else? I've come to really enjoy the PST 2.5-10x32, but the SWFA 3-15 is very interesting to me as well.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    That's a nice looking shooter! I've had a nearly identical project in my safe for a long time now, but it's in 308. It has a MOE rifle stock on it, however I haven't gotten to really develop a feel for it since there is no barrel or handguard. I've been debating whether or not to swap it onto another of my guns that currently has an A5 buffer and EMod. How do you like it?

Do you plan on keeping the 6-24x50 on there long term, or is that a place holder for something else? I've come to really enjoy the PST 2.5-10x32, but the SWFA 3-15 is very interesting to me as well.
    I'm really liking the MOE stock so far. My original plan was to use a PRS stock, but I found the MOE placed my eye right where it needed be with a great cheek weld for about $120 cheaper. I never gave much thought to running a collapsible stock on this build as I just wanted to keep it as rigid as possible.

As for the scope, it will probably sit on this rifle for some time. I would like to build a .308 precision rifle in the future, which the scope will probably end up on. That's going to be awhile down the road though.

My only complaint would be with the Harris bipod. I just can't get a good pre-load on it without chasing the rifle down the range. I've ordered some replacement 'feet' with spikes to hopefully alleviate that problem. If not, it looks like I'll be dropping some cash down for an Atlas.

Feedback Score
    Save your money and if you are laying down, get a tarp and put a pvc pipe at the end and roll it up a tad and zip tie the pipe in. You can do this for a full size tarp so your gtg when you're laying down, or make a mini one for when you shoot of a bench. Save you $250.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice, Doc. I usually shoot from the prone, but without a mat or anything else between me and grass. I'll give the spiked feet a shot and hopefully they dig in and bite into the ground to allow a consistent pre-load. If that doesn't work out I'll try your idea.

Feedback Score
    Oh if you're in the grass, the spiked feet should serve you well then. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Outstanding build! congrats.

Feedback Score
    I have that same Rainier SPR barrel on a build of mine. It's badass - as good as any barrel I've ever encountered.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
    I have that same Rainier SPR barrel on a build of mine. It's badass - as good as any barrel I've ever encountered.
    +1 on this, Love mine.