Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magpul Armorer's Wrench and BEV Block now shipping

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    I'm sure it's fine for building fresh but you don't need an $80 wrench for that. $80 for cast is like stealing from the blind. I'm more interested in the potential of the BEV block.

Krampus
    I have four other wrenches, including a Hammerhead. I think they put the quality into this one, it's very well made. It's a nice, precise tool. I checked it over with a micrometer, and it has fewer variances than the first two wrenches I bought. Both of which, I might add, tallied up to more than 80 bucks. And I got the BEV Block and the wrench for $100 shipped from G&R.

If you don't want to buy one, don't. If you want to buy several wrenches, and conduct testing and measurements and post the results, please do so.

Like Duane said, if you are going to build only one AR, then this may fall into the "nice to have" category. But if you work on these things a lot, the precision of this tool is very useful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    It's not your typical cast wrench. It actually costs us as much to make as a billet version we also prototyped. You can get away with far less as an occasional builder. It's overbuilt for that, but I've never regretted having nice tools. If you're cranking out production, wrenching for a living or a sideline, a serious hobbyist, or just like nice, well thought out tools, then this is the wrench for you.

We wish we could have made it less expensive, and we could have...but we couldn't make it as good as it is AND make it less expensive.
    I'm sure you wish you could have cut the cost in half to $3 per unit and if it were designed for anything but occasional low stress use it would not have been cast.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have four other wrenches, including a Hammerhead. I think they put the quality into this one, it's very well made. It's a nice, precise tool. I checked it over with a micrometer, and it has fewer variances than the first two wrenches I bought. Both of which, I might add, tallied up to more than 80 bucks. And I got the BEV Block and the wrench for $100 shipped from G&R.

If you don't want to buy one, don't. If you want to buy several wrenches, and conduct testing and measurements and post the results, please do so.

Like Duane said, if you are going to build only one AR, then this may fall into the "nice to have" category. But if you work on these things a lot, the precision of this tool is very useful.
    I'm not going to buy one because it won't hold up, it's cast. Maybe since you already own one you should use it like it was designed/priced a couple dozen times and get back to us.

Krampus
    Director of Metallurgical Realities in Undefined Space.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've been using the Magpul wrench professionally for almost a month now. It's very well designed and thought out. It fits bbl nuts really well. I have no complaints about it, solid design! I don't have a BEV block yet but looking forward to getting one whenever RSR (where we get most of our Magpul stuff) finally gets them in stock. I work on 40-50 guns per week.

I see no issues with it being cast. The other two wrenchs I use are cast as well (DPMS & Smith Enterprises), I've used both of those for over 10yrs w/o issue. Maybe I'll get all three melonited and they'll last 300yrs.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

It would be nice to see a review on all possible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Casting gets a bad rap because it's cheap to cast something of pot metal to bad tolerances and make an item that won't hold up, or fit.

Casting of good material, to tight tolerances, heat treating, and finishing is expensive, and how we did it makes it well overbuilt for the task.

During testing, we locked the barrel nut engagement pin end in a tool steel "barrel nut" that had a 1/2" drive cut right in the center. We then locked the wrench in an 8" bench vise. A 240 ft/lb electric impact wrench was applied to the 1/2" drive socket, full power, for 10 seconds on, off for 20 seconds, then 10 seconds on, 20 off, etc. At the 4:30 minute mark, we lost one pin. At the 8 minute we lost another. At 12 minutes, the wrench burned up, and caught on fire. The wrench was still entirely usable after the test. Give that a shot with whatever wrench you think is better, and let me know how it goes.

I'm not sure what you do with your wrenches, but I'm pretty sure this will hold up. The great part is that it's a Magpul product. If there's a problem, we'll take care of you, just like with all our other products.

You can
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    That is awesome testing Duane!
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I finally had time to play around with the BEV block yesterday, and love the design, multi-function capability, and compact form-factor.

The only thing I am a little concerned about is the "wobbly" fit on both uppers and (especially) lowers. I tested it on three separate uppers/lowers (Colt, LMT, and Noveske), and they all exhibited quite a bit of play. This was much more pronounced when using the mag-well end for lowers, with significant play on every axis. The mag-well side also seems to be a hair too short. It would lock into position with the Colt and LMT, but not on my Noveske Gen-2 lower.

Obviously it isn't supposed to be a zero-tolerance slip-fit, and I am sure there is some degree of compromise involved in order to fit a wide range of rifles. However, the play just seems a bit excessive in this case. So, just curious if that's just the way it is or if it's a known (first-run) issue, and something that will be addressed on future production runs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We struggled with the decision on the dimensions. We have the TDP dimensions for the mag well. We made the block to be pretty snug on the smallest end of allowable tolerances, but, of course, that leaves it a bit loose on high end, and even in the middle. After working with both smaller and larger ones on the full range of receivers here, we figured it would be easier to add a strip of tape or two for larger wells than to file down the block to fit the tight ones.

On the upper fitment, the lugs are made to min barrel extension tolerances so you won't get an upper that doesn't fit. We thought about tapering them, but that would give us point contact. We ended up where we're at and hardening to a few points under the spec hardness range for the barrel extension so the extension can't be harmed.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb Jensen View Post
    I've been using the Magpul wrench professionally for almost a month now. It's very well designed and thought out. It fits bbl nuts really well. I have no complaints about it, solid design! I don't have a BEV block yet but looking forward to getting one whenever RSR (where we get most of our Magpul stuff) finally gets them in stock. I work on 40-50 guns per week.

I see no issues with it being cast. The other two wrenchs I use are cast as well (DPMS & Smith Enterprises), I've used both of those for over 10yrs w/o issue. Maybe I'll get all three melonited and they'll last 300yrs.
    Casting gets a bad rap because it's cheap to cast something of pot metal to bad tolerances and make an item that won't hold up, or fit.

Casting of good material, to tight tolerances, heat treating, and finishing is expensive, and how we did it makes it well overbuilt for the task.

During testing, we locked the barrel nut engagement pin end in a tool steel "barrel nut" that had a 1/2" drive cut right in the center. We then locked the wrench in an 8" bench vise. A 240 ft/lb electric impact wrench was applied to the 1/2" drive socket, full power, for 10 seconds on, off for 20 seconds, then 10 seconds on, 20 off, etc. At the 4:30 minute mark, we lost one pin. At the 8 minute we lost another. At 12 minutes, the wrench burned up, and caught on fire. The wrench was still entirely usable after the test. Give that a shot with whatever wrench you think is better, and let me know how it goes.

I'm not sure what you do with your wrenches, but I'm pretty sure this will hold up. The great part is that it's a Magpul product. If there's a problem, we'll take care of you, just like with all our other products.

You can
    Sold! I'm not worried about the pins. I can fix them better than new anyways, BUT.....I need to borrow $60 first...thanks

Krampus
    Last edited by Krampus; 12-11-14 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's not your typical cast wrench. It actually costs us as much to make as a billet version we also prototyped. You can get away with far less as an occasional builder. It's overbuilt for that, but I've never regretted having nice tools. If you're cranking out production, wrenching for a living or a sideline, a serious hobbyist, or just like nice, well thought out tools, then this is the wrench for you.

We wish we could have made it less expensive, and we could have...but we couldn't make it as good as it is AND make it less expensive.

I know we frown on bumping up old threads, but..............

I found I didn't like my new MS4 QD sling attached to the rear of my CTR stock.

So I ordered a Noveske QD receiver end plate and needed a good Armorer's wrench
    I find the Magpul wrench to be exceptional in quality & function.

Being a 30 Mercedes technician I have seen quality tools all my life
    and this definitely is one.

No problem removing the factory staked Colt castle nut. A+ Magpul.
    Glock 19 Gen 5
    Colt Combat Commander

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123