Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.5" "pistol" vs 14.5" carbine for bedside duty

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    Who is going to futz with ear pro when your glass breaks at 3am when someone wants to get their rape on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Anyone that's not married.....

Edit:

I found this a very informative read. What I took from it is brakes are bad. And apparently 9mm is worse than 556? Didn't figure that. With modern hand guards it's pretty easy to hang muffs and don them fairly quickly. Some people may feel loosing one of their senses warrants an extra second or 3. Some won't.

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml
    Last edited by turnburglar; 10-30-14 at 00:58.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Bringing the "Sig brace" into the spotlight means nothing. I would love to meet Mr. Imawakeupanduseearpro because many people are going to be sleeping and probably be lucky to engage with a clear head.

The shorter weapon is the logical choice in a confined space which is why use them to begin with.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I can't really think of anything dumber than completely eliminating one of your senses while in your home, at night, with an intruder present.

What's next? Sunglasses to prevent blindness from muzzle flash? In reality a 14.5" or even a 20" is fine. This isn't the movies and no one is going to be hiding around a corner that you'll need to pie the doorway for. You will find them either rummaging through your things or standing above you with the AR you left in the open next to the bed.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Heck, my HD AR is a 7.5" loaded with ballistic tip varmint rounds. But then again I also sleep next to my .45, 870, and a Mora. If I were to build an AR specifically for HD, I'd go 14.5" mid. They're short enough for easy handling and that way you're guaranteed proper tissue damage.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I can't really think of anything dumber than completely eliminating one of your senses while in your home, at night, with an intruder present.

What's next? Sunglasses to prevent blindness from muzzle flash? In reality a 14.5" or even a 20" is fine. This isn't the movies and no one is going to be hiding around a corner that you'll need to pie the doorway for. You will find them either rummaging through your things or standing above you with the AR you left in the open next to the bed.
    I'm kind of going with this. I'm certainly no expert, but since this is about a HD choice I'll give my thoughts on my selection process.

You need to look at the most likely scenario. Obviously securing your loved ones or even your mother-in-law is the number one priority. Fortunately in my case all of the bedrooms are located on the second floor at the end of a hallway, with the bathroom located at the midway point down the hallway. My "plan" is to move all of the family to the master bedroom and ensconce myself at the bathroom and wait for the cavalry. If necessary, the stairs leading to the second floor hallway can become the "fatal funnel" with the ability to fall back. For me, either my 16" or 14'5" fits my needs. Some may say it sounds Walter Mitty, but I prefer to think of it as my family HD "Learn Not To Burn" plan. My actual "Learn Not To Burn" plan includes an escape ladder in the master bedroom closet so escape remains an option.

Obviously, if your plan to secure your family requires you to move room to room, the 10.5" may be the better choice. Before you decide try and find somebody with a 10.5" and shoot it on an indoor range. I shot a buddy's 10.5 on an indoor range and all I can say is... DAMN, just DAMN! Maybe I'm just a pussy, but the walls amplify the blast and concussion to the point of rattling fillings.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To me the logical choice is a suppressed SBR (or short upper with a sig brace). Say a 10.3"-11.5" + the suppressor

Ever hear of electronic earmuffs? Go poke around this very site for reviews on something like the MSA Sordin Supreme ear muffs...you'll see a lot of people report that they hear better with them on than with the naked ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Heck, my HD AR is a 7.5" loaded with ballistic tip varmint rounds. But then again I also sleep next to my .45, 870, and a Mora. If I were to build an AR specifically for HD, I'd go 14.5" mid. They're short enough for easy handling and that way you're guaranteed proper tissue damage.
    A 7.5" AR? With varmint rounds? Why would a person want/choose that for defense?

Quote Originally Posted by BBossman View Post
    I'm kind of going with this. I'm certainly no expert, but since this is about a HD choice I'll give my thoughts on my selection process.

You need to look at the most likely scenario. Obviously securing your loved ones or even your mother-in-law is the number one priority. Fortunately in my case all of the bedrooms are located on the second floor at the end of a hallway, with the bathroom located at the midway point down the hallway. My "plan" is to move all of the family to the master bedroom and ensconce myself at the bathroom and wait for the cavalry. If necessary, the stairs leading to the second floor hallway can become the "fatal funnel" with the ability to fall back. For me, either my 16" or 14'5" fits my needs. Some may say it sounds Walter Mitty, but I prefer to think of it as my family HD "Learn Not To Burn" plan. My actual "Learn Not To Burn" plan includes an escape ladder in the master bedroom closet so escape remains an option.

Obviously, if your plan to secure your family requires you to move room to room, the 10.5" may be the better choice. Before you decide try and find somebody with a 10.5" and shoot it on an indoor range. I shot a buddy's 10.5 on an indoor range and all I can say is... DAMN, just DAMN! Maybe I'm just a pussy, but the walls amplify the blast and concussion to the point of rattling fillings.
    Food for thought: What if your need of a home defense rifle/carbine doesn't happen at night when everybody is in their bedrooms? People always seem to assume the only time anybody will break into their home will be at night when everybody in the house is in their bedroom. Murphy's Law and all that...
    Last edited by Warp; 10-30-14 at 07:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for all of the suggestions and things to consider.
    Sounds like I need to buy a 10.5/11.5 upper and do direct comparisons to the 14.5.
    The 14.5 kmr elw balances so much better than my current 10.5 A2 upper that the 14.5 is easier for me to use but that's hardly a fair comparison.

Marshall Dillion, if you don't mind could you keep me in the loop with your findings? I considered a 10.5 PSA upper, but the deals on BCMs right now makes it tough.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    To me the logical choice is a suppressed SBR (or short upper with a sig brace). Say a 10.3"-11.5" + the suppressor

Ever hear of electronic earmuffs? Go poke around this very site for reviews on something like the MSA Sordin Supreme ear muffs...you'll see a lot of people report that they hear better with them on than with the naked ear.

A 7.5" AR? With varmint rounds? Why would a person want/choose that for defense?

Food for thought: What if your need of a home defense rifle/carbine doesn't happen at night when everybody is in their bedrooms? People always seem to assume the only time anybody will break into their home will be at night when everybody in the house is in their bedroom. Murphy's Law and all that...
    The OP was asking about a bedside gun so I addressed his question. In my home during waking hours a handgun is on my person or immediately accessible, but the retreat to the bedrooms or escape are still in play.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

Absolutely. 10.5" Suppressed is the way to go.

I have heard of electronic earmuffs. I've also heard of batteries failing, tunnel vision, nervousness, shaking, and all sorts of other shit that you don't want to complicate by adding another step. This is why many people prefer Glocks - there is no safety to malfunction, forget about, or any of that.

Nobody ever responded to violence of action with making sure their PPE was appropriately donned. On the other hand, standing naked at the top of the stairs with an AR15 and ear muffs on while backlit by the nightlight would make for a pretty terrifying view for any intruder.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Absolutely. 10.5" Suppressed is the way to go.

I have heard of electronic earmuffs. I've also heard of batteries failing, tunnel vision, nervousness, shaking, and all sorts of other shit that you don't want to complicate by adding another step. This is why many people prefer Glocks - there is no safety to malfunction, forget about, or any of that.

Nobody ever responded to violence of action with making sure their PPE was appropriately donned. On the other hand, standing naked at the top of the stairs with an AR15 and ear muffs on while backlit by the nightlight would make for a pretty terrifying view for any intruder.
    Everything is a give and take. Electronic earmuffs may allow you to hear more/better while also helping to prevent any disorientation or hearing loss from the concussion of firing 5.56 indoors. Even short term you may want to hear as well as possible both before AND after discharging the rifle.

I personally haven't and don't keep my electronic muffs ready, but I can totally understand why somebody might. If I didn't have a suppressor on my rifle I might seriously consider the earmuffs staying at the ready since 5.56 is so freaking loud

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast