Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: survival bag for the kids

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

survival bag for the kids

here is my dilema. i have a 5 and a half year old and a 1 week old. in order for daycare because of the new baby we have to switch daycare's and this will start in about 3 months. just in time for the middle of winter which people either know or heard can get pretty nasty in january. our new daycare is about 7 miles out in the country out of the way. the roads will be icy and it is pretty open and windy. i am wondering what provisions i should pack in a bag in case or a vehicular emergency? my vehicle is reliable (2011 f-150 crewcab 4x4) and i am an excellent driver but a person never knows. i talked to the wife about this and i said i am going to put together a survival pack for the girls and me. i have a stretch rope and booster cables already on board, and always keep my pickup above the halfway mark which it has like a 35 gallon tank. any and all comments are appreciated. i always try to look ahead in case something bad happens but want to be thorough. thinking of getting a big backpack i could throw in the box or back seat, i have a taneou cover but snow and dust still get in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your in luck LBT is having a sale right now http://lbtinc.com/fall14.html . You can never have enough packs pre-loaded for weather/situation/environment/etc..
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Studded Snow tires are probably probably most effective in preventing a stranded emergency.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure of your exact situation but here are a few thoughts I ran into for my kids.
    Are you always picking up or delivering in same vehicle? If not you need to make sure you have supplies in every vehicle.
    Is the same person always using that vehicle because survival skill levels have a large impact on what supplies to have on hand.
    Big difference taking care of infants and young ones in cold or bad weather. Food, shelter etc are all different.
    I live in the South so I have a totally different set of conditions to deal with but my vehicle bags have all the necessary supplies for five days of survival without any outside input. All of them. All of the time.
    These are just a few random considerations off the top of my head. Not knowing you and your families specific skill sets and knowledge bases makes it more difficult to offer targeted advice.
    My kids are grown but I went through the same drill you are going through right now. Prepare for the most likely situations in your area and maintain those preps and you will be way ahead of the curve.
    “Beware unearned wisdom.” Jung

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Couldn't hurt to have warmth and water. But you probably won't need a heavy pack, as rucking it out of the snow with two little ones might not be advisable. Call for help and hunker down, especially if it's night time (a CB if you're that far in the sticks?).

If anyone has a different plan of attack on this scenario, I'd be interested to hear it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a 3-year old and a 1-year old, and I agree that it would be better to have sufficient supplies to keep warm and fed in the truck if you got stuck. I've only been in MN in the summer, but I know how brutal the winters can be, and I'd be pretty anxious about taking the two little ones out in the snow. They will tire very quickly and get cold, and you will find yourself having to carry one or both of them in addition to your supplies, which will, in turn, obviously tire you out. I'd think about having 24-48 hours worth of food and water, plus hand warmer packets, blankets, etc., in the truck for all of you in the winter months. Just my thoughts,

Dave
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 10-31-14 at 04:47.

Feedback Score
    With kids, hunker down. Have plenty of water, a stove, food (Mountain House freeze dried), cookies, games, fleece blankets, sleeping bags. Keep them happy, warm, fed, and unafraid.

Activate the SPOT and let help get your ass out of the sling. But be prepared to hang tight for 3-5 days, just in case.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Aside from redundant approriate clothing, I would add heat sources/fuel. This can be achieved with disposable pocket warmers/foot warmers, cans of Sterno, Sterno folding stove, lighters/matches, "heat" candles, mylar emergency blankets, water and tea bags/instant coco packets/instant oatmeal packets/etc.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Having kids and trying to prepare for stuff like this is really hard. I am always looking for new ways to prepare for them. Do those emergency blankets work in the winter? Gonna keep a close eye here as I have nothing packed for winter yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
    Having kids and trying to prepare for stuff like this is really hard. I am always looking for new ways to prepare for them. Do those emergency blankets work in the winter? Gonna keep a close eye here as I have nothing packed for winter yet.
    Those mylar blankets were developed by NASA for astronauts in the cold of space should life support systems go tits up, they work by reflecting the body heat back to the person(s) using it. They can also be used for signaling in times of distress/SAR etc.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast