Thread: Unarmed Self Defense Training

Feedback Score

Unarmed Self Defense Training

Can anyone here recommend an organization that offers training for unarmed self defense (preferably in the Southeast U.S.)? I have searched the old posts and Shivworks as well as InSights seem to have offered this in the past. Unfortunately, Shivworks does not appear to be offering anything currently and InSights is too far away for me to travel (Seattle). Any first hand accounts with this sort of training would be much appreciated. I'm not looking to become a karate, judo, etc practitioner but rather develop the proper skills to quickly solve the problem and move on.

Kind Regards,

Dan

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Dan,

I sent you a PM with a possible class that might fit your needs. Hope it helps, and good luck.

Feedback Score
    Unarmed? Tactics, pepper spray, or even taking your loyal German Shepherd with you usually keeps I'll intent at bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Dan,

You asked a very good question. A firearm is not the end all solution to any violent encounter. Empty hand and impact weapon self defense is as equally important as learning to use a pistol for self defense.

I don't know of any specific names of schools you can attend in your area, but in my area I have recommended people seek out reputable instructors who can teach Krav Maga and HaganaH. There are many solid martial arts you can learn for a good foundation for self defense, but these two I can say with reasonable certainty are good arts to learn.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I agree with T2C in that you would be much better off training locally in some type of martial arts, than going away for a weekend or week of intense training. Unarmed combat , like armed combat and every other skill takes time to learn and frequent practice.

I would be less concerned with the type of training and more concerned with finding a school/instructor that fits your needs. Some disciplines and schools are more physical than others. Visit and observe a few classes before choosing.

Feedback Score
    Mixed Martial Arts tends to be more martial centric than art centric. Many martial arts schools are more art centric, unless/until you make it to black belt, which can be years. I know mine is. There is a Krav Maga school that has training centers in the southeast. I think it is HQ'd out of Charlotte, NC. I personally believe you would be best off with that discipline, of the ones I know. Especially if you can get a friend interested in taking it with you, so you can practice and keep current/refreshed in training after the class is over.

Google would seem to indicate Krav Maga instruction available in numerous places in Tennessee.
    Last edited by dogboy; 07-22-15 at 11:17.