Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Security Cameras

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Security Cameras

I have been thinking lately of installing a security camera system.

the one I have in mind will be able to monitor both indoor and outdoor cameras with IR ability and have remote monitoring capability through cell phone or internet. and wireless cameras would be ideal.

this system just popped up on sale at Costco and except for the wireless cameras seems to be a good deal - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...randTopSellers

any suggestions?
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting I to have been checking out the Costco camera's with the intent to buy. An Associate was in the gun store the other day and has the Costco brand with DVR.

Long story short he pulled the camera's up on his smart phone and panned the area in front of his residence.

I was amazed at the clarity at distance this set up seemed to produce. I don't recall if his was also night friendly if so that's a bonus.

This fella lives in a decent area, but turds transit the area all hours of the day and night to get to the slums. He's already identified a few theft suspects using the system.

Im thinking this is a win win set up .

DW

Feedback Score
    I don't know about this system, but I put in a similar system several years ago. The quality of the video was so poor that I slowly replaced my outdoor cameras with higher end cameras. (think - Oly vs. Colt)

There is a ton of good info on the TOS in the stickies posted by The Grayman Security cams
    Last edited by cqbdriver; 06-07-12 at 19:48.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have seen this system in two businesses and one home and it is OK for well lighted areas with decent detail out to 25yds.

The night vision was very grainy and burred out in less then 15 feet without secondary IR help.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gent's, I don't recall if this guys camera system was NV capable. The day light real time pictures looked real good.

THanks for the heads up.

I was looking at that costco system and they had seeral sets of those stand alone photocell front yard lights I was considering also.

Not sure if it was here or Survialblog but someone was talking about using those outdoor lights inside as preps. They apperently left the lights outside to charge daily and brought them in at night to use as house lights in a lights out situations.

Brilliant Idea!

DW

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I have been thinking lately of installing a security camera system.

the one I have in mind will be able to monitor both indoor and outdoor cameras with IR ability and have remote monitoring capability through cell phone or internet. and wireless cameras would be ideal.

this system just popped up on sale at Costco and except for the wireless cameras seems to be a good deal - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...randTopSellers

any suggestions?
    Well, Select the perfect locations to area and mount security cameras for your home. The area that you think are most naive to undesirable baring, or the area that required maximum security.
    Different general safety signs in a workplace you get it from supplylinedirect

Feedback Score
    Several of my neighbors have installed cc cameras....after seeing your
    post will look into system you mentioned...Thanks !

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A Samsung DVR

I went into SAMs club and found the samsung DVR set up. I had been looking at a CCTV system and finally decided on the Samsung after ADT quoted me about $6000 for the number of cameras and all of the accessories I wanted. I went with a wired system that the cameras are powered and viewed through one cord
    (no need for electrical plugs near the cameras).
    The DVR has about 2 months of record time and I purchased two additional cameras that have Audio. The night vision on the cameras is not so great, but the cameras NV are supplemented by the exterior flood lights that are motion activated. Its a color day and BW night system.
    It has internet capability and remote viewing on the iPhone. The cameras can be programed to be motion sensors and send alerts to your phone or start recording when motion is detected. All in all a nice system that was pretty much plug and play. The only pain was running the cable, similar to regular internet cat5 cable.
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...Id=prod3100123

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Thumbs down

Gonna bump this up. I have TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars worth of goodies in my SC garage. Long story short- I was absent from the house the other night when my wife called at about 0230. She said the dog had been barking for over an hour with spit flying everywhere and hair standing on end. She couldn't pull the dog from the window it was so amped up. She said she stayed hidden but saw nothing. She quieted the dog down and went back to bed. About 30 minutes later, same thing. I told her it was likely the weather and that I would check things in the A.M. Low and behold, when I arrived home, someone had attempted entrence through the padlock with a set of dikes. Typically, I park a car right against the door so theft of dirtbikes, etc would be unlikely. But the assortment of tools out there, if lost, would be insurmountable. I'm looking into surveillance that I can stream on my iPhone. I'm honestly just looking for a one MAYBE two camera set up. Any suggestions? Any other suggestions on further fortification short of me making my dog a "garage dog"?
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    Gonna bump this up. I have TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars worth of goodies in my SC garage. Long story short- I was absent from the house the other night when my wife called at about 0230. She said the dog had been barking for over an hour with spit flying everywhere and hair standing on end. She couldn't pull the dog from the window it was so amped up. She said she stayed hidden but saw nothing. She quieted the dog down and went back to bed. About 30 minutes later, same thing. I told her it was likely the weather and that I would check things in the A.M. Low and behold, when I arrived home, someone had attempted entrence through the padlock with a set of dikes. Typically, I park a car right against the door so theft of dirtbikes, etc would be unlikely. But the assortment of tools out there, if lost, would be insurmountable. I'm looking into surveillance that I can stream on my iPhone. I'm honestly just looking for a one MAYBE two camera set up. Any suggestions? Any other suggestions on further fortification short of me making my dog a "garage dog"?

http://www.ubnt.com/airvision We use these at work for some clients on a budget. They're decent quality, but at night would require an IR illuminator ($30-40 on ebay) in darkness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast