Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: survival bag for the kids

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They also have some effectiveness in reducing heat signature to thermal imaging if employed correctly.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Very nice. I need more than.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    They also have some effectiveness in reducing heat signature to thermal imaging if employed correctly.
    Yeah when Skynet becomes self-aware we'll be needing those capabilities, well that or when drones are sanctioned against all us "domestic terrorists".
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Some things to remember about little kids, and sheltering in place in a vehicle.

Small bodies will lose heat more quickly than a larger body. Get them bundled up quickly if it's going to go the wrong way. And put a hat on them.

Regardless of using a heating source, or burning some sort of fuel inside the vehicle to generate heat, you have to crack a window to keep carbon monoxide building up. Every hunting season I still read about guys not waking up in the morning (but I'm sure that that would never happen to the operators here on M4C!)

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Some things to remember about little kids, and sheltering in place in a vehicle.

Small bodies will lose heat more quickly than a larger body. Get them bundled up quickly if it's going to go the wrong way. And put a hat on them.
    Those USGI Poncho Liners make for excellent Deployment bag blankets. Old Grouch's has the standard and zipper USMC versions.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Those USGI Poncho Liners make for excellent Deployment bag blankets. Old Grouch's has the standard and zipper USMC versions.
    Poncho liners are just great for kids, period. Mine loved to sleep with my old one when they were growing up.

And I don't know how many tents, forts, castles and parachutes it became.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    thanks for all the replies guys, i have been busy with deer season so i haven't had time to respond back to this. i made some more purchases for my first aid kit that includes the survival blankets that was mentioned. also going to be looking for alot of the hand/foot warmers to keep in the pickup. my infant will always have her diaper bag with that will include lots of clothes/blankets/formula for about 4 days/bottles with water. my older one will be dressed for the winter along with blankets. i need to get snacks and water for her, how do you guys suggest keeping water in the vehicle beings it will be freezing when not being ran? does a person just have it in a pack you grab every day? my trip will be with the same vehicle, it will be about 7 miles one way on a secondary highway. and as almost anytime you get into vehicle troubles in the winter the plan is absolutely to stay put. i need to get some candles and thinking a pail for an alternate heat source. i want to be prepared for worst of the worst case as in hitting a deer and going in the ditch and not being able to run the engine if the radiator is gone. also one thing that just broke and i have to replace is a vehicle charger for my cell phone. i have great cell phone reception out in that area and our storms usually last about a day until they blow through but still preparing for longer. as for me i have the boots/snowpants/gloves/stocking hat/warm jacket. this morning when i went to work it was -6 so winter is upon us

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by weez440 View Post
    how do you guys suggest keeping water in the vehicle beings it will be freezing when not being ran? does a person just have it in a pack you grab every day? my trip will be with the same vehicle, it will be about 7 miles one way on a secondary highway. and as almost anytime you get into vehicle troubles in the winter the plan is absolutely to stay put.
    Fellow member Artic1 is a subject matter expert on artic warfare, here is a thread he started on the matter. In post #6 he addresses water in sub-zero temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    @High Tower:

Good question, and hydration/water supply is a real issue during winter. The biggest danger is the weather itself, as your thirst sensation is reduced. In addition you will also be affected by cold diuresis, further increasing risk of dehydration.

To combat these effects, we need leadership and discipline. We say that winter survival is 20% gear, 80% knowledge.

The first step to stay hydrated is to regulate water intake. Inexperienced leaders will often order people to empty their canteen in one go. This is purely a waste of water, seeing as the ideal intake level of a human is ~1,5 desiliters of fluid every 15 minutes. Excess fluid basically goes right out again. It is also important to not solely drink pure water, but something containing salts to ensure proper electrolyte balance.

What this means in practical terms is that hydration should ideally be done collectively, ordered by the SL. That way he can control that everyone drinks, and he can also regulate water expenditure. However, ideally each soldier will take small sips of water continously.

A 1 liter canteen should last 1 1/2 hours approximately if proper hydration protocol is followed. We also advise soldiers to add snow to their canteen during breaks in movement, to refill it.

A few tricks to avoid water bottles from freezing are:

-Invert it in your pouch. Water freezes where cold air interacts with the surface, so this method will delay the freezing of the opening of the bottle. Works best with bottles that have wider openings.

-Fill the bottle with warm water before moving, and whenever possible; takes longer before it freezes and you expend less energy heating the water after drinking it

-One method that works, although I don't use it, is to place your bottle in a wool sock and hang it around your neck, next to your body

I personally have a Source bladder in the assault pack, although I rarely fill it during winter. One tip is to run the bladder on the inside of your clothing, people prefer the front, and run the tube along your arm. There is a risk of the bladder bursting if you have do something other than march.

Bottom line is that you have to plan according to the climate, and water resupply will be a limiting factor during winter, as you need to melt snow or have water brought forward. Carrying extra canteens in your ruck is an option, but they will freeze eventually.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...er-gear-thread
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 11-20-14 at 19:09.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    1. keep a CASE of bottled water in your car, even frozen clean water is better than no water (during summer, you have to keep less or rotate out as the plastic breaks down in heat)

2. do not run any kind of burn/gas inside of your vehicle unless you're about to freeze to death, the carbon monoxide builds up fast and your body absorbs it much more efficiently than O2

3. I'd keep 8 of the mylar emergency blankets, and 4 emergency bivvy sacks (rei.com), 4 hypothermia caps,

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/ca...ource=nextopia

as your wife may be with you as well

4. normal cheap walmart quality beanies & gloves ($2 for 2 for women/kids)

5. an entire change of clothing for you and wife, 2x for 5 year old, oversized sleep sacks or stained/old clothing that fits baby

6. formula, bottles, liners to last 72 hours

7. granola bars, bagged nuts, saltine crackers, etc.

8. 8 road flares

9. 2 orange cheapie safety vests

10. a med kit with lots of gauze, ABDs, medical tape x 4 at least, basic first aid kit (q tips, band aids, polysporin, etc)

11. make sure you have a spare (and keep air in it), a compact air compressor and pressure gauge

12. if the roads are really bad, have snow chains that you can put on easily (have a plastic bin top or cardboard for your knees if you have to put on chains)

13. good work gloves that are durable and can keep your hands warm if putting on chains

14. 2 whistles, 2 bells that can be rung for help

15. a good knife, strong rope, compass (in case you need to walk out from there)

16. old cheap sweaters- 2 that fit you, 2 layers for the 5 year old, blankets for the baby

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a bag for my 2.5 year old daughter. It is light enough for her to carry for short periods of time and contains things I may need for her. Thermal Leggings, gloves ,socks and long sleeve shirt, snacks ( to boost moral if need be), 1 20 oz bottle of water, compass, fire starter and can opener (a spare is always good), winter boots (kids shoes are light) and thats it. its not a survival bag, but if we were to get in an accident and had to abandon the vehicle until help arrives ( I live in NJ someone is always around) she would be warm, fed and hydrated. I am sure I could of added more but at 4lbs I felt it was good to go. I did add an extra mylar blanket to my bag along with a large pack of baby wipes and a book for her to read. with a baby due in january I am sure I will be revisiting my bags contents and making adjustments for the new born.

Chris
    Last edited by ballerchaos; 07-15-15 at 21:49. Reason: forgot about gloves and socks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast