Thread: M16A1 Clone selector switch question

Feedback Score

M16A1 Clone selector switch question

Ok so I got this crazy idea and I can't seem to find any results from searching google. I want to make a M16A1 clone but I want a selector switch that is 90 degrees offset to put semi auto in the auto spot and safe in the semi position. Would look kind'a like this but marked correctly. And who if any makes one that I can buy?
    Andys selector switch.jpg
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Why not a safe-semi-semi or safe-semi-safe selector? You will still get your third position out of it if that is your goal.
    Last edited by dmaxfireman; 11-01-14 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    Ok so I got this crazy idea and I can't seem to find any results from searching google. I want to make a M16A1 clone but I want a selector switch that is 90 degrees offset to put semi auto in the auto spot and safe in the semi position. Would look kind'a like this but marked correctly. And who if any makes one that I can buy?
    Andys selector switch.jpg
    I have never seen or heard of a selector that allows for that configuration. Besides, have you considered how cumbersome it is going to be to switch from SAFE to FIRE/SEMI and back to SAFE in the configuration? There is a reason why the selectors are designed the way they are. Even on FULL AUTO and BURST M16s, it is somewhat cumbersome switching from SEMI to FULL AUTO or BURST. Additionally, if you were to use a M16 selector, it has to modified in order to be legal for use in a semi-auto AR and you would be able to turn it to where the AUTO or BURST position would be. It would still function as a semi-auto only.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 11-01-14 at 16:33.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    All the times I've fired a real m16 I've never found it hard to switch it from semi to auto. I don't really use the safety but when I store my firearms. I just had to ask. I just want one that can't be challenged by the ATF from having a demilled m16 selector in my clone
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thought I would bump this. I am interested in this as well.