Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sucker76 View Post
    Mine are:
    Front: 0.276"D 1.715"L
    Rear: 0.277"D 1.161"L

The front pin is longer than standard because the Aero casting is thicker in the front.

I also had to get a longer mag button. The one included in Aero's LPK wasn't long enough. The button was recessed below the lower before it dropped the mag. I didn't like that and got a Guntech extended mag release from eBay.
    You about had me scratching my head and ready to shoot my calipers. The I noted the inches. Lol

Thanks for the heads up I. The extended mag catch. Armslite makes one but it's expensive and hard to find.
    I opted to use Forward Controls EME-C mag button. For $8 bucks you can't go wrong.
    But I like the idea of using a more correct mag catch. I don't know why Aero puts he AR-15 mil spec mag catch in the 308 LPK.
    That's another reason I didn't bother buying it.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 09-02-17 at 14:40.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry if unclear. 0.276 inch diameter and 1.715 inch length. etc. The thousandth difference front and back diameter is probably due to me measuring and I'm sure they are the same.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hi Guys,
    Robert told me about this thread, so I'll chime in

EMR-C has a taller profile than the factory mag release button due to its blind hole, continuous serrations top. When installed on an AR15, the height over mag release fence is about 0.08, enough to constitute accidental mag drop risks. The EMR has a through hole and will not protrude over the mag release fence. We discourage the use of EMR-C on duty and defense AR15s for that reason, but the extra height happens to fit thicker 308 receivers as if it were designed for it, when used in conjunction with AR15 spec mag catches.

Armalite AR10 had (might still) have specific mag catches with a different thread pitch and longer shaft, which made it necessary to mate it with a proper mag button (non-AR15 spec). If your receiver uses an AR15 spec mag catch, the factory mag release button is too short, or rather, the mag catch shaft is. Either way, it's hard to access when the button is so close to the receiver.

Here's a polished EMR-C. We don't have polished EMR-C anymore, they're all Type 3 hard coat anodized. Both EMR and EMR-C have a slight curved top, which together with its semi aggressive horizontal serrations, aim to mitigate undue vertical movement of the user's finger. EMR-C and EMR were old, 2010 era projects I worked on while I was still at BAD. After my departure, EMR and EMR-C were the first Forward Controls Design products we introduced. BAD is allowed to make a similar version which they call BAD-EMR.

RE: our 308 spec ABC/R v2, it's based on the DPMS LR308 bolt catch, and it has no preference for either a screw or roll pin. Our 223 spec ABC/R v2 actually works on 308 ARs as well.
    Last edited by Duffy; 09-02-17 at 15:13.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Robert told me about this thread, so I'll chime in

EMR-C has a taller profile than the factory mag release button due to its blind hole, continuous serrations top. When installed on an AR15, the height over mag release fence is about 0.08, enough to constitute accidental mag drop risks. The EMR has a through hole and will not protrude over the mag release fence. We discourage the use of EMR-C on duty and defense AR15s for that reason, but the extra height happens to fit thicker 308 receivers as if it were designed for it, when used in conjunction with AR15 spec mag catches.

Armalite AR10 had (might still) have specific mag catches with a different thread pitch and longer shaft, which made it necessary to mate it with a proper mag button (non-AR15 spec). If your receiver uses an AR15 spec mag catch, the factory mag release button is too short, or rather, the mag catch shaft is. Either way, it's hard to access when the button is so close to the receiver.

Here's a polished EMR-C. We don't have polished EMR-C anymore, they're all Type 3 hard coat anodized. Both EMR and EMR-C have a slight curved top, which together with its semi aggressive horizontal serrations, aim to mitigate undue vertical movement of the user's finger. EMR-C and EMR were old, 2010 era projects I worked on while I was still at BAD. After my departure, EMR and EMR-C were the first Forward Controls Design products we introduced. BAD is allowed to make a similar version which they call BAD-EMR.

RE: our 308 spec ABC/R v2, it's based on the DPMS LR308 bolt catch, and it has no preference for either a screw or roll pin. Our 223 spec ABC/R v2 actually works on 308 ARs as well.
    Awesome! Thanks Roger for clarifying the Forward Controls bolt catch/ EMR-C & Armalite mag catch and button.

Nothing better than intel straight from the source.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have the EMR-C on my PSA AR-10 lower. It fits like it was made just for this lower! Here's a pic but the EMR-C is a little hard to see...

Untitled by Cory Fluck, on Flickr
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Howdy Cory!

The EMR and EMR-C are difficult to make. The gently curved top is hard to get right. To this date, it's the least expensive component we offer, and I still appreciate how it feels to my finger tip every time I put my finger on the mag release.

Speaking of the EMR family, which consists of EMR, EMR-C, and EMR-A (ambi mag release), EMR-A works with both 223 and 308 receivers, as long as the left side of the receiver doesn't differ too much from the original specs. Receivers with "finger rest" fences (such as arfcom's billet receiver, based on the Magpul receiver, and CMT's 308 receivers) are incompatible with EMR-A.

Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Howdy Cory!

The EMR and EMR-C are difficult to make. The gently curved top is hard to get right. To this date, it's the least expensive component we offer, and I still appreciate how it feels to my finger tip every time I put my finger on the mag release.

Speaking of the EMR family, which consists of EMR, EMR-C, and EMR-A (ambi mag release), EMR-A works with both 223 and 308 receivers, as long as the left side of the receiver doesn't differ too much from the original specs. Receivers with "finger rest" fences (such as arfcom's billet receiver, based on the Magpul receiver, and CMT's 308 receivers) are incompatible with EMR-A.

Duffy,

Any plans to make an LDFA that's compatible with DPMS pattern 308 uppers?

Also regarding Bltor MUR-1A uppers, is the the LDFA going to be too short?

Thx
    Robert

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Robert,
    DPMS doesn't make a distinction between LR308 and AR15 forward assist, except for the LR308 specific LR308 spring.

Re: Vltor MUR forward assist, it also doesn't appear to be a proprietary design, so the LDFA should work there as well. LDFA is based on TDP, with the exception of the omission of the ledge, the redesign of the circular serrations, and the shallow groove on the plunger cap. For upper receivers with relocated forward assist to clear the charging handle, such as the Vltor receiver, LDFA is not necessary. The relocated FA housing is closer to the ejection port, and on the Vltor receiver, the FA housing is also lower. This creates ample clearance for the use of right finger to pull back on the charging handle's right latch without interference.

In a rare nod to aesthetics for Forward Controls, this shallow groove is for appearances only. When the ledge/rim is removed from the FA's plunger cap, the body looks strangely long. The shallow groove serves to break up the outline of the plunger cap body so it doesn't look so odd

This is the first LDFA prototype, nothing more than a standard FA with its ledge/rim removed. It looks longer than when it had a rim on it, it didn't look good, but worked to prove the rimless design for ambi charging handles is sound.

Production LDFA with the shallow groove around the plunger cap.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

I just picked up my receivers this morning, they look great!

Note for reference: the KAC takedown and pivot pins are the correct length, but they are slightly oversized. My caliper shows them at .280".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lahunter57 View Post
    My caliper shows them at .280".
    thanks for the caliper reading

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast