Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Tools is the one thing where there's mostly consistency.
    Unless indeed there's some proprietary barrel nut deal but then theres usually a tool supplied with it.
    Since the feedramps/chamber is pretty much standard - right? your Magpul/Geissele block/rod will be gtg
    And whatever 'special designed/machined' upper receiver you have may also impact fit.
    My Magpul BEV didn't secure into my upper like it does my AR-15's so I needed another option. The Geiselle Reaction Rod for 308's is $199 on Midway. That's like an over my dead body purchase. I'm just not going there.

I did some digging and found this: 308 AR-10 LR308 Upper Receiver Vise Block Tool

I called and left a message with the company, Jason called me back in less than 10 minutes and we spoke about 30 minutes. He explained the different products they have. He told me this particular item was the go-to for guys who have stuck barrel nuts or want to minimize any torquing of the receiver, which he promptly told me was more of a theoretical idea rather than having any kind of empirical data to support it.

Then we talked about triggers and shooting ground squirrels. Neat guy. I placed my order for a combo kit they have, and it is a lot less than the reaction rod, and if the net result is the same. A safe and secure environment for my receiver while I'm mounting the barrel, then I'm happy.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Robert, I use these blocks from Armalite:

Where are you in Texas?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Robert, I use these blocks from Armalite:

Where are you in Texas?
    Thanks Sinister. Those look similar to the ones I bought. man, all i did was google LR-308 upper receiver vise block and they were about the first or second link. They had some really solid reviews, so I just went with it. Wasn't sure if using an Aero M5 upper was going to be a problem or not, but the owner apparently is a big Aero fan, and they should work.

These work with the receiver laying over sideways. The Armalites look like the receiver is upright. I don' think that makes any different though, do you?

Here's a pic of the ones on the way.

With an upper... Those two thick plexiglass pieces are what Jason called "anti-torque" plates. I guess it keeps the pieces on the rail and on the takedown/pivot pin side from twisting when you're torquing down the barrel. Although I think mostly used to remove a barrel that doesn't want to come off. I don't see needing that must torque for the barrel nut.

I'm in Temple. You close by? DUH.. i just saw your profile info over to the right. College Station is a hop skip & jump.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 03-07-17 at 13:45.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Figured I'd give a shout-out to ya. We have an 1100-yard range just to the south of us. I haven't shot on it yet or seen what kind of steel they may have out on it.

I like the looks of Jason's blocks and the anti-torque plates -- and that rig is less than half what the Armalite ran.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Figured I'd give a shout-out to ya. We have an 1100-yard range just to the south of us. I haven't shot on it yet or seen what kind of steel they may have out on it.

I like the looks of Jason's blocks and the anti-torque plates -- and that rig is less than half what the Armalite ran.
    I appreciate the shout out. It's kinda cool to find a 'neighbor' on here. You're lucky, we don't have that kind of range close by. I would like to hit that place up after I get my 308 tuned and zero'd. We do have a 100rd range I can zero at and the private land I train on, I can get out to 350, but nothing to really test my config and skill. (or lack of lol) I've heard there's a long distance range down in Copperas Cove, but I'm not sure what the status is. I had heard they closed down for a time, but I should probably confirm that. On the blocks, I think his prices are pretty fair, especially in light of how much some of the other tools cost. Plus he's got a couple of other things I may pick up. He's got this insert that allows you to test your trigger without beating up your thumb. Esp. useful if you have an adjustable trigger I think. I did get his upper receiver blocks and magwell vise block and a couple of other things. So If you need to borrow something and I'm not using it. Definitely hit me up and I'll throw it in the mail to you.

So I'm thinking maybe EOM March, early April, I should be hot and running on my 308. About the only real unknown I have at this point is the rail. Maybe after that, if you're up for a range down we can check out this 1100 range you found. CS isn't a long drive from here.

So here's where I'm at... I pretty much have everything at this point except the CH, BCG, FF Rail, barrel nut and muzzle device. I've still haven't decided to go rifle RE/stock or A5 yet. I have both - just need to make a decision.

So did you go the AR-10 router or LR-308 route?

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    All Armalite. This is one of my latest re-builds and probably handiest configurations:

Armalite with a rifle-length gas Criterion 16-inch tapered heavy (the barrel looks a lot like yours). SLR Rifleworks Solo Mid 12.0 rail (I think). It's got a Geissele SSA-E trigger in it now, but will probably switch to a Krieger-Milazzo KM-II.

With an M16A1 stock it was still too long for me, so I went to the Armalite tube (equivalent to the A5) and an XH buffer. I like the SLR rail for the AR-10 -- fairly thin but with a solid lock-up on the barrel nut.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

All Armalite. This is one of my latest re-builds and probably handiest configurations:

Armalite with a rifle-length gas Criterion 16-inch tapered heavy (the barrel looks a lot like yours). SLR Rifleworks Solo Mid 12.0 rail (I think). It's got a Geissele SSA-E trigger in it now, but will probably switch to a Krieger-Milazzo KM-II.
    You have build a lethal looking AR-10 their Sinister. Very very nice, and I seriously owe ya one.i think I just just found my rail. I don't know why I didn't think to check SLR, but I'm glad we crossed paths. I'm digging that Solo, but I also really like to run quad rails and SLR has one.

I'm this close to picking up one of the SLR rails. Just trying to decide which one.

Bought my Ballistic Advantage BCG tonight, so both barrel and BCG are BA. It's really coming together.

I think the rail in the pic will look and function well. Also when you decide to switch out your trigger, give me a shout I may take it off your hands. As long as your not Ina rush. I've got a KAC 2 stage but am swapping that out for LaRue MBT-2S trigger (which is a good trigger) but ultimately for my DMR, I'm leaning toward an SSA-E. Just an idea.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkf
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 03-08-17 at 20:41.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    For those interested in alternative tools for your 308 build. I received these in the mail today. Once I decide on what rail. (Which model of SLR) will in turn lead to the barrel nut which will lead to me building. I'll provide some feedback on how well these tools work. I can tell you the materials seem well made and very sturdy. I bought a kit and paid $58 and change. Afterwards discovering he does offer a military discount. Probably LEO as well.

I did give them a shot out on my bench vise, and yes, they do lock the upper up nicely. I can't see the upper stressing at all during a barrel nut install. mag well holder works just like my AR-15 one. Locks on the mag release. decently snug. Trigger tester is really cool. Nice little addition to the tool box

Full kit:

The upper receiver vise blocks:

Plexiglass security plates (prevents any torquing of receive vice blocks):

Lower receiver/magwell block:

Trigger testing block: (this is actually pretty neat, no more whacked thumbs or other workarounds
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

With an M16A1 stock it was still too long for me, so I went to the Armalite tube (equivalent to the A5) and an XH buffer. I like the SLR rail for the AR-10 -- fairly thin but with a solid lock-up on the barrel nut.
    sinister,

That looks sweet!!

My question is this:
    Armalite AR-10 pattern barrels/BCGs are slightly different than DMPS pattern ones.
    My understanding is that Criterion uses DMPS pattern.

Now, I have read of some guys successfully mixing and matching the 2, and as long as headspace checks out, everything should be fine.

What ammo have you shot through this, how many rounds, results?

I just posted a thread asking about headspace gauges for .308 ARs.
    What gauges did you use for this, and do you have any advice/insight for others thinking of using DPMS pattern barrels in an Armalite AR-10?

I have an Armalite AR-10A, with an Armalite BCG, that I am thinking of using either a Criterion or Ballistic Advantage barrel in.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The Criterion uses a BAT extension that fits either standard bolt. The original bolt headspaced long but passed Field with a Forster gage. I swapped a donor bolt from another Armalite and now have a tight fit.

The donor rifle got an LMT bolt and now it gages better as well.

I've shot 155 Scenars and 168 and 175 Match Kings (maybe 200 of each) and am very satisfied with the results.

You'll need a slightly shorter rail to use the shorter-than-Armalite gas tube.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast