Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering the Snub Nose Reload - Spares Carry

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    I was examining my friend's new, unfired 442 and with permission dry fired it. Each time sparks flew from the firing pin hole in the firewall. Obviously friction was the cause. In 47 years of handling Smith's I've never before observed this event and can't help but wonder whether or not it's a real issue.
    Back in the 90's you could actually dry fire the pistol enough to begin drifting the firing pin bushing out of the frame. My philosophy has always been "don't dry fire a J-frame."

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information, great posts!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This post is great. Thank you for sharing.

I'm trying to work out the best method of reloading my new Kimber k6s (my first modern revolver), and I'm finding that the smooth cylinder walls interfere with Michael de Bethencourt's technique. The only speed loaders that fit (afaik) are made by 5-star, and the cylinder wants to rotate with the turn of the speed loader. It works fine with Massad Ayoob's stress reload technique, however, but pistol + speed loader + speed strip really clogs up the right side of my belt.

I've contemplated using both techniques; left hand for speed loaders and right hand for speed strips, but that seems like it would unnecessarily complicate the muscle memory at a potentially critical moment.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP, in your upcoming re-do, have you considered a J frame converted for moon clips? It would be interesting to see a comparison of moons -vs- speed loaders. They are slightly smaller than speed loaders and it is one package in and outta the gun. Problem is trying for a load 2 shoot 2 drill.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used to carry my 642-1 with HKS speedloaders... did it for years. Main problem I had was the loader and ammo is pretty long.

I picked up a 9mm converted cylinder off AR15.com, which I had fitted and refinished to match my revolver (NP3 Plus). 9mm on moon clips is a lot shorter than .38s... even on moon clips. I prefer shorter reloads, as they are easier to load/unload, and they make carrying more ammo a little easier. Was never a moon clip guy, but going with the 9mm conversion really got me interested in them. While I still have the .38 cylinder, not having it modified for moon clips (would do it prior to NP3, but not after)... might do it for my 6" 629-1.

For moon clips, look up the BMT loader. They cost a little bit of money, but definitely worth it.

Feedback Score
    Question on moon clips ... are they prone to bending/distortion. Can you carry one "loose" or do you need a holster/protector of some sort?
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This forum has a long history of costing me money, and this thread is no exception!

I've got almost enough saved in my rat hole to purchase a M442. As much as I like my G43 that I purchased as a slimmer, smaller response to its larger cousins, I've been going back to the days I previously had a 442 and remember how convenient it was in a pocket holster for certain situations and circumstances. This was a timely thread, and I appreciate the discussion.

ETA: I'm going to have to do some more research on carrying spare ammo. I previously carried an HKS speedloader but am going to give the strips a serious look.
    Last edited by afff_667; 04-19-17 at 12:46.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -- Will Rogers

Feedback Score
    Yeah, snubbies are so dang loveable. I'll carry my 642 on occasion in a versa carry ... such a light set up. Great backup gun since it can't go out of battery like a semi. Still, have to be aware someone gripping the cylinder will stop the gun from firing.

Even if someone doesn't intend on carrying a revolver, shooting the heavy double action will make anyone a better shooter.

My 642 is the Crimson grip model, so having the instant feedback of the laser movement while you pull the trigger is great training.
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 04-19-17 at 13:52.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Have a few snubs that get carried.
    My favorite is probably an old mod. 12-2 S&W that I cut up a bit ("K", alloy frame):

Ground serrations off and polished trigger, double action trigger job (double action only) and bobbed hammer.

Another fav is an old mod 10, similar work to above:

Occasionally carry a Colt "Agent":

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Thanks.

Thats not bad. I was hoping to find/make something that will hold the strips horizontally (Maybe with a buttoned flap/cover) since my strips are pretty long. They hold eight rounds but I normally load them with five. They are easier to grab/handle.

Edited to add: Found this...http://www.dillonprecision.com/ihl-s..._22_25667.html
    Take a close look at these Simply Rugged options: https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...170&parent=671

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...180&parent=671
    Fecal Splatter Expert

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast