Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering the Snub Nose Reload - Spares Carry

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afff_667 View Post
    This forum has a long history of costing me money, and this thread is no exception!

I've got almost enough saved in my rat hole to purchase a M442. As much as I like my G43 that I purchased as a slimmer, smaller response to its larger cousins, I've been going back to the days I previously had a 442 and remember how convenient it was in a pocket holster for certain situations and circumstances. This was a timely thread, and I appreciate the discussion.

ETA: I'm going to have to do some more research on carrying spare ammo. I previously carried an HKS speedloader but am going to give the strips a serious look.
    I have two Tuff products nylon pouches for loaded strips one for my six shot 327 Federal LCR and the other for my S&W J frame, 351 PD, a seven shot 22 Magnum. Both guns are a little oddball so strips work best for me and these pouches ensure the strips are protected.

Feedback Score
    Great stuff. When I am not carrying my SL Variant loader I use the 2 space 2 method of carrying my rounds in speedstrips.

FYI ... I chose to use DeBethecourt's right handed reload method because I also carry semis. I keep the speedstrip or loader in the rear left pocket ( same place I keep my spare mag for semi carry) that way my natural training method is to use my weak hand to load both semis and revolvers so there is no muscle memory conflicts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    Great stuff. When I am not carrying my SL Variant loader I use the 2 space 2 method of carrying my rounds in speedstrips..
    Always up for a revolver thread! What's the 2 space method?
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Always up for a revolver thread! What's the 2 space method?
    Like this:

Feedback Score
    Like this:

K, I can see the advantage for speed in that config. It's down one round for a snubby's capacity, but a quicker reload can def trump that 'cause if you need to reload a snub, you need to do it fast
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    The 2-2 method is quite popular and I see the attraction of it, but I just can't bring myself to intentionally short myself of ammo...Just my odd semi-literate opinion.

I carry my speed strips with a full 7 for the 386 NG. My usual carry config is one 7rd HKS speed loader in a Safariland spring metal carrier and two Tuff Products 7rd speed strips in a Simply Rugged folding speed strip carrier, for a total of 28 rds of .38Spl +P+ 110gr JHPs on person. Carry method for the NG is AIWB in a simple Bianchi leather iwb holster or in a Wild Bill's Concealment leather Speed Scabbard.

If I'm carrying the Ruger Wiley Clapp, it'll be two 6rd HKS speed loaders in the Safariland spring metal carriers and two 6rd speed strips carried SAA, with the WC carried SAA.
    Last edited by SLM; 06-26-17 at 16:28.
    Fecal Splatter Expert

Feedback Score
    I found that when reloading I was always dropping one of the rounds out of the strip. That method is the fastest way to get ammo back into the firearm reliably that I have found.

If I want more ammo I just carry a second strip or I could probably go out and buy an eight round and do a 2 x 2 x 2.

Feedback Score
    I found that when reloading I was always dropping one of the rounds out of the strip. That method is the fastest way to get ammo back into the firearm reliably that I have found.

If I want more ammo I just carry a second strip or I could probably go out and buy an eight round and do a 2 x 2 x 2.
    I'm on board, thanks for posting this idea, I've never seen it before. I tried it tonite and yeah, it flows & is fast. I carry a snubby with some frequency, so this is a help!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    I'm on board, thanks for posting this idea, I've never seen it before. I tried it tonite and yeah, it flows & is fast. I carry a snubby with some frequency, so this is a help!
    Get some of the TUFF-Strip 8-shot speed strips. (they are cheap, come in packs of two) They are easier to grab and hold onto. And do the same thing, skip rounds where you want your fingers to go. I put five or six on an eight round strip. If I put more they just end up on the ground.

Get several and do all of your reloading from them to build memory.

I never did get an ammo carry pouch. I found if I'm going to thread something else onto my belt I'll just pack a bigger gun. (pistol) It's so easy just to drop the speed strip into a pocket. (Two strips in the same pocket doesn't work well, the rounds clink together and make noise)
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-26-17 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I never did get an ammo carry pouch. I found if I'm going to thread something else onto my belt I'll just pack a bigger gun. (pistol) It's so easy just to drop the speed strip into a pocket. (Two strips in the same pocket doesn't work well, the rounds clink together and make noise)
    Agree with this 100%. For me the snub is a pocket gun or ankle BUG only. To put anything on the belt means I can just carry an IWB 9MM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast