Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing my first suppressor tomorrow

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wirides View Post
    What options are better for the reasons listed than SF?
    I haven't found a quick attach/detach suppressor for these priorities that beats the SF. With so many manufacturers of quality suppressors out in the market now, I wanted to be sure I had not overlooked a smaller, lesser known company.

From an accuracy and POI shift perspective, the only ones I have seen that rate better than the Socom are direct thread, which is just not an option for me without SBRing one of my lowers. That is something I am considering in the not too distant future, but I still don't think having an SBR would swing me in the direction of a threaded vs QD mount.

Tapatalk'd

Feedback Score
    I was asking more about the criteria themonk listed that make something other than SF the better choice. I'm asking because I really don't know.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I was asking more about the criteria themonk listed that make something other than SF the better choice. I'm asking because I really don't know.
    He's saying there is no better choice for minimal and repeatable POI shift than the the SF. Same conclusion I had come to through lots of research.

Tapatalk'd

Feedback Score
    But what are the better options based on size, weight, and silence he refers to? Not just poi?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ok, I see what you're saying. I'm not sure I'm as qualified to speak to all that criteria since I don't have the specs in front of me (weight, length, etc).

For me, those are important but not AS important as the other criteria.

Tapatalk'd

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    When buying a suppressor you have to choose what your priorities are and then put them in order. Here is a good thread on the topic - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...79#post1914279 take a look at post #18 from domestique. This is a good outline of domestique priorities and how he needs them to stack up.

So if your main priority is size and weight you would go with one can, if its ability to silence than another, and if its POI shift then another. There is no magic suppressor that does them all. That being said and going back to what BigLarge said above "proven design and system", I'm not a believer in buying a can from the new kid on the block or on the cheaper side of things. This is a life purchase as its not easy to resell a suppressor so get one from a company with a good reputation for customer service that you hope will be around when you need them (all would be a "proven design and system"), especially if you are only buying one can - Silencerco, AAC, Surefire, Gemtech, Liberty, KAC. The list goes on but I think you get the point.
    Last edited by themonk; 11-12-14 at 11:11. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    That's a good post, thanks!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That's a good post, thanks!
    Thanks,

The only thing I would edit to my original post would be to define your own list to each specific purpose.

I.e: my original list was for a do all, all purpose SBR, AR10, precision bolt gun in mind. BUT for example, if I was shopping for a 300 blackout SBR then decibels would be much higher on the priority list because I would be mainly shooting subsonics as a range toy.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Lots of reasons. The question is what are you looking for in a can? If POI shift is one of them surefire is the way to go. If thats not at the top of the list there are a lot better options based on size, weight, and silence. PS all of the high end 556 cans that we would talk about here are a "proven design and system".
    "All high end cans" are proven is a rather broad conclusion. For some, the only "proven" suppressors are vetted by the military.

I'll concede before this becomes an argument on SF vs everyone else (read: Saker).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    "All high end cans" are proven is a rather broad conclusion. For some, the only "proven" suppressors are vetted by the military.

I'll concede before this becomes an argument on SF vs everyone else (read: Saker).

I have a SOCOM762-RC, and will have a SOCOM556-RC in a couple months (still pending). I love Surefire products, and the SOCOM762-RC is amazing on my MWS with 308, but sucks on my 9" 300blk SBR (it's pressure curve wasn't designed for that).

I also have a Saker 762 on form 3 transfer. It offers something in it's versatility that no other cans out there offer (direct thread vs. qd, and a 5.56 end cap). It's also close to an inch shorter then the SOCOM762-RC, and will sound better with 300 blackout (decibels being more important to me when shooting that particular rifle with subs).

Once the rest of my cans are approved I hope to do a mini comparison between the SOCOM556-RC, SOCOM762-RC, TBAC CB9, and Saker 762 (direct thread, qd mount, and 5.56 endcap) to compare them on different platforms.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast