Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire M600P vs. M600U

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Surefire M600P vs. M600U

I was wondering if anyone had experience with both of the above weaponlights, and could offer any insight on differences in throw/spill. I searched and could not find much about the P model in particular.

I am currently between the two as a light for a 14.5 BCM KMR ELW with a H1 2moa micro. Both lights have 500 or so lumens. I know the U model will have greater throw and the P will have greater spill. I am wondering how far out the P will still effectively throw vs. the U model for the purpose of target ID and detail such as hands. Projected distance for the use of this upper at night is between 20 to 60 yards, occasionally maybe out to 80. As light as this upper is, the 2oz weight increase of the P is not really an issue.

I have a 3 cell Fury, but that is around 1k lumens I believe, so I cannot really judge the Fury head performance by the output of that light. I have a X300u I can try, but I think that uses a larger reflector than the 600u. For this rifle, the X300 is not an option. The P is a bit cheaper, but I do not mind spending a bit extra to get the desired performance.

I appreciate any assistance with this comparison.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    My guns run the 600u my brother has the 600p on one of his.

Between the two the flood is noticeably wider and does not have the focused hot spot in the middle like the ultra which I'd say is an appreciable difference indoors. Outdoors the throw of fury compared to ultra is maybe 40% less (rough estimate on my part) but that said at the distances you mention its a non issue. There us still plenty of light to ID at that range IMO.

Lastly from what I've read the fury does not use the same TIR lense as the scout ultra so that is where some of the cost difference comes from.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thank you sir, that is exactly the type of information I was hoping to learn.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Last edited by South; 01-24-15 at 01:31.

Feedback Score
    I love my M600U and I feel like it has a good balance between throw and spill. It's got a very obvious hotspot in the middle but it doesn't bother me too much, even indoors. I would recommend it. I don't have any experience with the P model so I can't comment on it.

Levi
    "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Double post

Levi
    "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Well I went ahead and ordered the M600P, primarily on the fact I could get it for $75 cheaper than the U. It arrived yesterday and I will say wow, the head on this thing is big. It is at least the size of the head on my handheld Fury. The body is the same as the regular 600 series, the head is just a bit necked down where it threads on to the body.

Having said that, it is big enough I have to put it in front of the forward edge of the rail. With a 13" rail and a 14.5" barrel, it is pretty obvious this is going to get sooted pretty quickly from muzzle blast. I ended up putting the P on my suppressed SBR and moving the regular M600 from my SBR to the new upper, where it can sit a little further back.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    My guns run the 600u my brother has the 600p on one of his.

Between the two the flood is noticeably wider and does not have the focused hot spot in the middle like the ultra which I'd say is an appreciable difference indoors. Outdoors the throw of fury compared to ultra is maybe 40% less (rough estimate on my part) but that said at the distances you mention its a non issue. There us still plenty of light to ID at that range IMO.

Lastly from what I've read the fury does not use the same TIR lense as the scout ultra so that is where some of the cost difference comes from.
    So for an 11.5" with T-2 I'm assuming M600P would be ideal and for a 14.5" with a K16i 1-6 the M600U would be optimal?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I've PID'd hands at ~85 yards with an M600U. It's a very tight, focused beam. You can still fill a room with it, but it doesn't have the wide throw of a Fury. I've been running Scouts on my work rifle for 5 years and I'll also add they are literally bomb proof.

Long hallways/medium range outdoor shots: Scout.
    Close/some mid-range: Fury

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    So for an 11.5" with T-2 I'm assuming M600P would be ideal and for a 14.5" with a K16i 1-6 the M600U would be optimal?
    They would both work, but so would a m600c (if you don't need so bright) or m300. It's a bit of personal preference, but I'm not a huge fan or how long the m600 is and where the mounting point is. I prefer the m300 even though it is not as bright. Also check out the vtac surefire light w/ the ultra head. To me that's the best option for lumens and mount-ability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast