Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 Revolver for self defense--ammo selection

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

22 Revolver for self defense--ammo selection

Let's say you were only able to carry a .22 revolver. What would be your preferred ammo?

Stingers? Mini-Mags? Sub sonic fatties?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Fast would be what I look at first. It's got to get deep enough to do damage.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Aguila Interceptors. 40 grain plated solid. 1475fps from a rifle.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    Anything that was stone dead reliable 22's have a reputation for misfires and reliability is number one although with the revolver the solution is as simple as another trigger pull. I think a 40 grain bullet is better than the light fast 29 grain in most hyper velocity ammo. With small calibers it is all about shot placement so accuracy is far more important than in the larger service calibers. I have carried a walther tph in the past and mini mag solids were my choice. The hp does not do much in a short barrel 22. Take all the penetration you can get

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Is 22 Magnum a possibility? Not a huge change in energy, but I would take every advantage I could get it

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I carry CCI Minimags in my Beretta 21A as a BUG. They always go bang, and are pretty high velocity. They are also ultra reliable in the little Beretta which sometimes chokes on the bulk stuff I use for practice. That won't be an issue in a revolver though. I am thinking of getting a .22 revolver as I have always wanted a Smith 617, or Colt Diamondback (too expensive these days).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I treat my lawnmower better than I treat my 1911.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any .22LR 40gr HV Solid that shoot to POA in my revolver- I wouldn't use a semi in rimfire because you need second strike and because of rim lock.
    Btw, .22 is copper washed. Just shoot a CCI Mini Mag, or whatever, into the dirt and see how much copper is still on it.
    .22 Mag out of a snubby doesn't buy you anything but noise and flash from my understanding. That might actually be good though in Bear Country if you were careful to not actually shoot the bear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Is 22 Magnum a possibility? Not a huge change in energy, but I would take every advantage I could get it

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy
    I have a High Standard Sentinel MK III 9 shot .22 magnum. I've had it since 1976. It is my go to gun when I go to the farm. (varmints and rattle snakes) I see them every so often at gun shows usually around $125. It really shoots the Winchester Rimfire well. The WRF is not a magnum .22. It's the round that is longer than a long rifle but shorter than a .22 magnum and shoots the same diameter bullet as the magnum .22.
    kwg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    CCI Stingers. I've killed several raccoons and a few coyotes with them and they seemed to work well. Velocity should still be decent when fired out of a revolver with a 3" or longer barrel.

I would only carry a .22 revolver for self defense until I could scrounge up enough money to buy a larger caliber handgun.
    Last edited by T2C; 11-11-14 at 22:42.
    Train 2 Win

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast