Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 930 autoloader

Feedback Score

Mossberg 930 autoloader

Wallyworld has these in the $540 range. Probably the cheapest autoloader I've seen locally, and this is the tactical/HD version with 18.5 inch barrel.

Not familiar with Mossberg's autoloaders, although I don't expect them to be in the class of a Benelli M2. Worth a look or pass on these?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Wallyworld has these in the $540 range. Probably the cheapest autoloader I've seen locally, and this is the tactical/HD version with 18.5 inch barrel.

Not familiar with Mossberg's autoloaders, although I don't expect them to be in the class of a Benelli M2. Worth a look or pass on these?
    I've had the Mossberg 930 JM Pro model for about 2 years. I just use it for gun games but it's been 100% with slugs, buck and bird shot. Fun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Judging by reviews and other feedback a 930 would be the last gun a would consider for self defense and the first I would pick for malfunction drills.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Since this is M4C, I'll offer some actual experience:

I bought a 24" 930 JM Pro to play with. I regularly shoot a Benelli M2 and M4, and got it mostly to satisfy my curiosity about what such an inexpensive auto could do in a 3-gun capacity. My observations:

-Opened loading port, coupled with the mag spring that has a good amount of tension and a shell stop that isn't stupidly stiff, actually makes for a very nice loading stock gun for weakhand 'load 4' stuff. I can't comment on Twins or Quad loading as I don't do that. The fork on the lifter however is retardedly wide, and WILL injure your thumb doing fast weakhand loads. I always wear Mechanix gloves for shotgun use, so this isn't a huge issue for me. Getting the lifter welded and extended would be a good idea if you were planning on actually doing fast loads, though.

-It is definitely a subjectively softer-shooting gun than my M2.

-Overall build quality is rough. One look at the gas system, and you immediately know a Benelli ARGO system this AIN'T. You can buy TWO of these for the price of one M2, though (And THREE for the price of an M4 ). Also note that this already comes with the very nice Nordic mag extension and a good charging handle. Coupled with the already-beveled loading port, I feel this gun is an excellent value.

-Mine now has just over 1,000 documented rounds through it, and it has had zero stoppages. I mostly use Federal 100-round Field and Target bulk pack 7 1/2 shot.

-I have kept my gas system clean. Overall data from people that actually use these guns indicate that they are sensitive to crudded up gas systems. Jerry Miculek has an excellent video on disassembly and cleaning, and he stresses how important it is to thoroughly clean both the gas piston AND the gas rings every 500-600 rounds if you want it to run right. He also mentions good indications the gun will show you when it's getting too dirty (like the operating rods becoming sluggish and getting stuck peeking through the ports in the receiver). Youtuber/ 3 gunner BullitMcQueen used one of these for a while, and indicates his was reliable, but also says he kept on top of maintenance.

-Mine shoots a little on the high side, most notable with slugs. Judging by feedback on BrianEnos.com, this isn't uncommon on these. Easily compensated for by knowing your holds, but I were to get serious about this gun, I'd probably bend the barrel.

-For a roughly $600 street price, I'm very satisfied with what it is, and am going to continue using it.
    Last edited by 750.356; 11-05-14 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 750.356 View Post
    Since this is M4C, I'll offer some actual experience:

I bought a 24" 930 JM Pro to play with. I regularly shoot a Benelli M2 and M4, and got it mostly to satisfy my curiosity about what such an inexpensive auto could do in a 3-gun capacity. My observations:

-Opened loading port, coupled with the mag spring that has a good amount of tension and a shell stop that isn't stupidly stiff, actually makes for a very nice loading stock gun for weakhand 'load 4' stuff. I can't comment on Twins or Quad loading as I don't do that. The fork on the lifter however is retardedly wide, and WILL injure your thumb doing fast weakhand loads. I always wear Mechanix gloves for shotgun use, so this isn't a huge issue for me. Getting the lifter welded and extended would be a good idea if you were planning on actually doing fast loads, though.

-It is definitely a subjectively softer-shooting gun than my M2.

-Overall build quality is rough. One look at the gas system, and you immediately know a Benelli ARGO system this AIN'T. You can buy TWO of these for the price of one M2, though (And THREE for the price of an M4 ). Also note that this already comes with the very nice Nordic mag extension and a good charging handle. Coupled with the already-beveled loading port, I feel this gun is an excellent value.

-Mine now has just over 1,000 documented rounds through it, and it has had zero stoppages. I mostly use Federal 100-round Field and Target bulk pack 7 1/2 shot.

-I have kept my gas system clean. Overall data from people that actually use these guns indicate that they are sensitive to crudded up gas systems. Jerry Miculek has an excellent video on disassembly and cleaning, and he stresses how important it is to thoroughly clean both the gas piston AND the gas rings every 500-600 rounds if you want it to run right. He also mentions good indications the gun will show you when it's getting too dirty (like the operating rods becoming sluggish and getting stuck peeking through the ports in the receiver). Youtuber/ 3 gunner BullitMcQueen used one of these for a while, and indicates his was reliable, but also says he kept on top of maintenance.

-Mine shoots a little on the high side, most notable with slugs. Judging by feedback on BrianEnos.com, this isn't uncommon on these. Easily compensated for by knowing your holds, but I were to get serious about this gun, I'd probably bend the barrel.

-For a roughly $600 street price, I'm very satisfied with what it is, and am going to continue using it.
    Quick question... If given a choice to only have an M2, M4 or 930 for home defense which would you choose??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Quick question... If given a choice to only have an M2, M4 or 930 for home defense which would you choose??
    Before we got the AVA tactical light mounts for the M4, I would have said M1/M2, based almost solely on the fact that you can get a proper Surefire forend for the inertia guns. With a good light mount though, I'd go M4 based on a little better shootability with buck and slugs, and better options for a tritium front sight. I would need to vet my 930 a lot more before I would consider using it, and even then, it's extremely unlikely I'd use one over a Benelli.

We can probably all agree that Benellis are unarguably the better shotgun, and are widely considered to be the standard for auto shotgun dependability. However, if one were limited to that low $600 price point, I do think the 930 is a viable option. I do concede that it's competing with the Stoeger M3000, though. Being a copy of the M2, the M3000 seems like it could be attractive, but I have no experience with one.

If I were limited to $600 and had to pick a shotgun for HD, I think a pump gun would be a safer option with less chance of having to potentially massage or tune a cheap auto auto gun. Though in my sample size of one, my 930 is doing fine thus far.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 750.356 View Post
    Before we got the AVA tactical light mounts for the M4, I would have said M1/M2, based almost solely on the fact that you can get a proper Surefire forend for the inertia guns. With a good light mount though, I'd go M4 based on a little better shootability with buck and slugs, and better options for a tritium front sight. I would need to vet my 930 a lot more before I would consider using it, and even then, it's extremely unlikely I'd use one over a Benelli.

We can probably all agree that Benellis are unarguably the better shotgun, and are widely considered to be the standard for auto shotgun dependability. However, if one were limited to that low $600 price point, I do think the 930 is a viable option. I do concede that it's competing with the Stoeger M3000, though. Being a copy of the M2, the M3000 seems like it could be attractive, but I have no experience with one.

If I were limited to $600 and had to pick a shotgun for HD, I think a pump gun would be a safer option with less chance of having to potentially massage or tune a cheap auto auto gun. Though in my sample size of one, my 930 is doing fine thus far.
    I agree that a $300 pump gun would be a better option for HD than any auto. I guess you have to put a value on your well being.. If you invest $600 in a 930 for HD you are buying cheap insurance that may not pay off when you need it to.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I disagree. In a home defense situation you might get the first round off with a pump, but have you tried loading the next round in the tight confines of a hallway or doorway, also there's the obvious chance of short stroking the action. I think a semi-auto that is reliable is a better alternative.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I bought one a while ago for a shotgun class that ended up not happening. I bought the one with the ghost ring sights. If I had to do it over again I would probably buy a tactical with the bead and put an XS dot on it later. As for reliability, I haven't had an issue with it to date skipping on anything. I put 150 rounds of the military 00 buck, 100 rounds of 3 inch black cloud, 25 rounds of 3 inch 00 buck, 200 rounds of estate buck, 100 rounds of number 6 bird shot, 100 rounds of number 7 bird shot, 10 rounds of Federal low recoil hydrashok LE slugs (that is what I used to sight it in with), 10 rounds of 8 pellet low recoil federal flight control and 25 rounds of 9 pellet low recoil federal flight control. Through all of that I had no issues what so ever. Maybe I just got a good one but this one works with everything.
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    I disagree. In a home defense situation you might get the first round off with a pump, but have you tried loading the next round in the tight confines of a hallway or doorway, also there's the obvious chance of short stroking the action. I think a semi-auto that is reliable is a better alternative.
    I agree with this.

I've seen lots of people bring pump shotguns to compete in local fun/tactical 3-gun matches and short stroke or otherwise screw up the action. And nobody was shooting back at them.

I have the 930 Patrick Flanagan edition and it's been flawless after the initial break-in period.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast