Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 4-16 to much for a Recce/SPR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Gotta get that Nightforce SHV F1 bro
    Mine has an illuminated MOAR reticle. Mounted on a DD5V1.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    I'm running the Vortex 4-16 FFP PST on my Recce and I think it's perfect. I wanted a nice scope that I can take off at anytime and put it on another rifle and not be "wanting". I love my scope. I would rather have the power and then decide if I need it or not rather than not having it and wanting it. I as able to justify this because most ACOGs are 4x power and non adjustable. I have zero regrets.
    Well said. I have NF ATACR 4-14 and selected it for the same reason. At 1KM the extra power can be really handy with my old eyes.

Feedback Score
    I have a NF SHV 4-14x56 on my DDM4V11 18" STW with NF 20MOA base and rings. I also think 4X is low enough. I have some 5.56 77gr. OTM. I wonder how far a good shooter could reach with such a rig and ammo. In other words, at what distance does the 77 gr. peter out?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To OP's question, a 4-16 is in my opinion a little on the "too much magnification" for a .223 but I understand the argument that you can't have too much magnification. I guess it depends on the purpose of the rifle. If you are going to using it primarily off a bench to punch paper out to distance or take it on a prairie dog hunt then no its not too much scope.

I just finished my Centurion Arms Mk12 build.

Ended up with a Bushnell Tactical Elite LRHS 3-12x44 in a Nightforce Unimount (20 MOA and extended rail).

Feedback Score
    I will add on the NF 2.5-10x42 it is clear crisp and light (not the lightest) I wish it was FFP and the sub stantions are a little to fine for on certain targets.

I may swap it out for a 4-16x42 ATACR F1

There are several other bench marks for these optics one of the biggest is tracking if it don't track it's about as worthless as teets on a bore�� As Larue says Buy once Cry once. There are nice scopes sub 1000 but they track like shit! The top end scopes will always way more and have positive turret adjustments.......they have metallic parts not plastic parts under the metallic parts. They will have edched reticules.

just my opinion
    Last edited by jroberts1968; 04-02-17 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you haven't used or owned a FFP 2.5-10x I'd strongly suggest trying one before you buy or recommend one. In that particular power range SFP are much more useable. I really with though NF would make a detent in the power ring when you're on 5x.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    If you haven't used or owned a FFP 2.5-10x I'd strongly suggest trying one before you buy or recommend one. In that particular power range SFP are much more useable. I really with though NF would make a detent in the power ring when you're on 5x.
    ^THIS!

5.56 guns need to have a usable low range, as well as some magnification. A good rule of thumb is 2x the distance you want to shoot, i.e 500m = 10x. I love all these FFP optics with 3-18 or 4.5-27 etc. Most FFP reticles are not usable at the lower range. Most I have used only begin to be usable at the middle of the mag range. The current trend for low power variables all have a daylight visible dot which is usable at low range. I run a Leupold MK6 1-6 on my Bartlein barreled SPR and its fine out to 600m. My KAC SR25 ACC runs a Leupold MK8 CQBSS, my precision bolt gun runs a Leupole MK6 3-18 with H59. I never dial it below 7x. Also, anything much above 18x and you will get a lot of mirage. Most shooters I know with high mag optics typically dial back to about 18 or 20 most of the time.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    I have a NF SHV 4-14x56 on my DDM4V11 18" STW with NF 20MOA base and rings. I also think 4X is low enough. I have some 5.56 77gr. OTM. I wonder how far a good shooter could reach with such a rig and ammo. In other words, at what distance does the 77 gr. peter out?
    I have an SHV on my NovesKe SPR and dig it. Those 77's will ring steel at 1,000 but not with any authority. But they will safely carry that distance. The Black Hills variety is pretty darn hot and will make that task a bit more easy. That DD gun is nice piece , go for it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's exactly how I came to buy a Vortex Diamondback 4-16 the deal was too insane it was 289 to my door on Amazon. I did violate my inkling that 4x was too much mag for the purpose of my 308AR though which is hog control. It's tough to hit a hog running at full tilt inside 100 yards on 4x or is for me I should have stayed with say a 1.5-6. That said the quality of the glass is more than I'll ever need I've taken game-o-plenty in very low light conditions at dusk and dawn I will keep this glass forever and likely it's going on an old bolt once my thermal scope arrives. Soon!

Feedback Score
    It just comes down to what SPR stands for. Special Purpose Rifle. So what is YOUR special purpose for it? Someone's application may need a 1-6 power only scope, while another's purpose is a 4-16 power, etc. You just have to find out what YOUR special purpose is and go with it. If you are wanting to engage targets 50 yards-500 I would prob do a 1-6 or a 2.5-10. If you are wanting 100-1,000 I would probably go with the 4-16 (depending on your eyes). If you want the best of both worlds, get a 4-16 and then slap a red dot on the side or top and zero that at a close distance, but you will sacrifice a little bit more weight.

There aren't any free lunches. There will ALWAYS be give and take.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast