Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 4-16 to much for a Recce/SPR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

4-16 to much for a Recce/SPR

Im piecing together a SPR/Recce build and have everything but the optic. I was originally going to go with something like the traditional 1-4/1-6/2-10 but have come across some deals on good 4-16 scopes. Specifically the PST FFP model. Do you think that to much scope for this kind of rifle?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    What are your goals for the rifle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Standard Recce/SPR uses. Precision fire from 50-800 yards.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I just did a precision rifle class at The Site in Illinois. I shot my Sionics 18.5 inch Stainless Perimeter Marksman Rifle (SPR) in the class and I have it topped with a Vortex Viper PST 2.5x10x44. I was making easy hits at 600 yards using 77 grain CBC / Magtech 5.56. The PST is very good glass for the money. I would personally stick to the 2.5x10, it was plenty for what I would use on a SPR. YMMV
    Certified AR Armorer among many other things.
    Semper Paratus Arms - 2014

Feedback Score
    It absolutely depends on what your plans are for the rifle. I'm running a 6-24x50 Viper PST on mine, but my intent was to shoot the smallest groups possible at a given range. It's not good for close in or fast work, but that wasn't a concern for me with this rifle.

If you're wanting it for a general SPR at the ranges you stated, then the 2.5-10 would be just about perfect in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryantx23 View Post
    I was making easy hits at 600 yards using 77 grain CBC / Magtech 5.56.
    Iraqgunz was saying some nice things about that Magtech 77 ammo.

I would personally stick to the 2.5x10, it was plenty for what I would use on a SPR. YMMV
    I don't mind 10x even when I shoot to 1000 yards. If there's any kind of mirage on a given day, I'll turn whatever scope I'm shooting down to 10-12x.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If you are going for precision at 800 yards, I would not use a 1-4. A 1-6 possibly, but I would say 2-10 would be your best bet. As markm said 10x will be fine at the longer ranges, and 2x will be fine at 50. I have a 4-14x and its good but I dont consider it as dual-purpose. These kind of applications are tricky imo. I prefer a dedicated upper for close or far shooting.
    Last edited by dentron; 11-06-14 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    +1 on a 2.5-10 on a SPR, that is what I have been running for 7 years or so, it just works. Im running the 2.5-10X24 Nightforce

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I don't think the magnification is too much, I think most scopes in that range are too large and heavy.

I think the Mark 6 3-18x44 is just about the perfect scope for that role. But, sadly I went through three of the mother****ers and could never get one w/o an offset reticle. Had to give up on it.

The magnification was great on the upper end, but really it was maybe a 15x at max. 18x was pretty limited. Its biggest draw was in that it was less than 12" long and insanely light.

I've had a couple of 2.5-10x42 NXS scopes, the illumination is pretty disappointing.

My epic scope saga continues. Maybe after SHOT there will be some better products on the market.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Am going to have to side with bp7178 that it isn't necessarily overkill. Granted to me a recce and SPR are two different design purposes, one as a Gp rifle for 0-600 on man sized targets with in my mind a 1-4/6X optic set up, though I am running an ACOG on my rendition of a recce. For an SPR I think I would be looking at a 2-8/10x heavily since Leupolds in the 8x range are on sale at several of the sites I frequent and would serve me well for the ranges I am going out to with an SPR set up but the top end at 10X would be my ideal since you can go out plenty far with that much magnification. That said, I have considered going higher magnification on my envisioned SPR build since it isn't a rifle that I feel i would be lugging that much and as long as the weight wasn't crazy high why not? That said, if you getting a good deal on the 4-16X scope grab it and try it out. If the price is right you would not likely be losing much money if you decided to resell it and go in a different direction.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast