Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surefire Combat Tactics article on Mil-Spec and TDP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I just finished the article “ The truth about Mil-Spec” in the latest Surefire Combat Tactics Magazine. This is a great article covering what Mil-Spec is and colts TDP. Talks about the inspection and testing involved in the M-16 series of rifles and carbines. This one article is worth the price alone. Get it and next time someone talks about how there Bushy is just as good as a Colt just show then the article. It also has a copy of “the chart”.
    so someone stole Rob_S' chart and all of his threads explaining the chart and published it in a magazine?

not worth my $$$

i'd rather read this forum for FREE.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Second, there's no copyright issue here. The chart is collected data, and data isn't copyrightable. That's a simplistic explanation to a complicated issue, but the end result is there's likely little or no legal intellectual property right to claim here.
    the chart itself is a compilation/database, and might be protected even if the data itself is in the public domain/non copyrightable. just posting this for future reference since the issue has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction.
    the below paragraph is from http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/database.html

"Databases as Compilations:

Databases as Compilations: Databases are generally protected by copyright law as compilations. Under the Copyright Act, a compilation is defined as a "collection and assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are selected in such a way that the resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of authorship." 17. U.S.C. § 101. The preexisting materials or data may be protected by copyright, or may be unprotectable facts or ideas

An example of a database that is protected as a compilation would be a database of selected quotations from U.S. Presidents. The individual quotations themselves may or may not be subject to copyright protection. However, the selection of the quotations involves enough original, creative expression that it is protected by copyright. Therefore, a database of quotations will be protected by copyright as a compilation even though some of the quotations are not protected.

A database of facts is also protected as a compilation, assuming the grouping contains enough original expression to merit protection (see the discussion of Feist below). An example of a protectable grouping of facts would be a database of Internet locations for selected legal articles. Each location consists merely of factual information, namely that a particular article can be found at a particular URL location on the Internet. There is no copyright protection for each location. Therefore, while the individual locations can be copied by others, if an entire database of locations (or a substantial portion of the database) were copied, the copyright in the compilation would be infringed. The creative, original expression that is being protected is the selection of locations for the database. If the locations were divided by topic in the database, the organization of the database would also be protected."

Feedback Score
    I went to the newstand at the train station and took a peek at the issue. What a ball bag for copying the chart without giving Rob credit. That magazine company won't be getting my money anymore.

Feedback Score
    when did this come out ? anyone know what the cover looks like ?

Feedback Score
    How about before making statements one way or another you go to this thread and catch up on what has happened ?

READ THIS LINK

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642&page=31

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "The Chart" is a great tool I have tried to employ w/ the "what's the difference" types I know and encounter. Screw legality - how about some simple respect and professionalism? How about "Dear Mr. S, my name is so and so and I would like to include your chart in my article with full credit given...etc." Pretty gay. What's gayer is that this guy has evidently never heard of Zumbo and is ignoring how much of a contact sport the internet has become. I'm glad there is an informative article, but I won't be picking up this one.
    Don't forget to show my head to the people. It's well worth seeing.
    -Georges Danton

Feedback Score
    Well...as with many things, it is what it is, and it is fowl. Rob did a great job (and continues to by updating) with this chart, and many (myself included) have garnered a wealth of knowledge from it.

It's just like Levis Jeans (they are anti-gun)...the best way to hurt these folks is to NOT buy their products. I wear LL Bean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12