Thread: AOW question

Feedback Score

AOW question

I have a serbu supershorty, but it would be awesome to throw a sig arm brace on it. After a brief skim through ATF's description of an AOW I found out an AOW can not have a length greater than or equal to 26". On my atf paperwork the overall length is listed as17.5 inches so i should have 8 inches to work with. Does anyone have a sig arm brace with buffertube installed they could measure and let me know what the OAL is with the tube and brace installed?

I was going to use this attachment from mesa tactical to attach the pistol buffer tube.
    http://mesatactical.com/products/leo...rem-870-12-ga/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can't help you with your question, but I am appending my Brownells review of the Mesa Tactical adapter you say you want to use. I liked it and still use it, but had a few easily fixed problems. I gave it fouir stars out of five:

SOLID ADAPTER FOR THE REM 870 WORKHORSE

Mesa Tactical makes good kit, and this is no exception. This review will attempt to point out a few suggestions for anyone interested in this item. FINISH: OK, but mine had a few very small mars (possibly due to a delivery screw up). For a hard use firearm this is acceptable. BARREL BEAD: The LEO adapter is the "low" version that makes the bead "useable," but not optimal. Unless your eyes are close to your cheekweld, your eyes will be a little high for "down the barrel" sighting. This is normal for a straight stock. It is possible to shim the adapter to allow a very small downward angle to the tube and stock, but this will contribute to muzzle rise. Make sure the washer is properly seated as the washer can also affect stock angle. I am still playing with this. GRIP NUT: I used the supplied grip nut and it interfered with the bolt securing the adapter to the receiver, making the stock higher than it should have been. Go to the hardware store and get a shorter nut (solved the problem for 15 cents). GRIP CHOICE: If you plan to shoot heavier loads (slugs), I recommend a grip with some padding, such as the Hogue Overmolded or the Ergo. Also, if you plan to run the stock with a very short LOP (i.e., close to the adapter), then use a grip with a more vertical rake than the usual USGI to permit a more comfortable wrist angle. Finally, I had to trim the extended backstrap on an Ergo to get it to fit properly. STOCK: I went with the Magpul MOE because the friction lock extension on the Magpul CTR interfered with my thumb when the stock was completely closed. FINAL THOUGHT: I would not count on installing this unit and saying "done." Changes to the grip or the adapter will require removal of the stock tube, so don't locktite or stake the unit together until you are satisfied. I learned a lot about the adapter by shooting a few rounds of trap and a bunch of slugs.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Cool, thanks man. The mount height doesnt really matter to me cause the barrel is only 6.5" and there is not bead. I think i might just bite the bullet and do an SBS, throw a magpul stock on it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just hope it is useful info. I guess the most important things are that the nut was not sized correctly and that I had to assemble/reassemble the thing 3-4 times before I was satisfied with the configuration. Now, I am quite happy with it.

BTW, the delivery problem involved the good ol' USPS delivering it to the right street address, but wrong town. The package wound up in a college dorm for a couple of weeks and was possibly used as a soccer ball or in some kind of contact sport. I don't think it suffered too much tho, considering.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brians2k View Post
    I found out an AOW can not have a length greater than or equal to 26".
    Correct, but to be clear, it's not like making a rifle into a handgun; it wouldn't be illegal. It just wouldn't be an AOW. There's nothing legally preventing you from turning an AOW into a stockless SIG-braced >26" OAL title I firearm. You could either convert it temporarily and leave it registered as an AOW (allowing you to take off the SIG brace and return it to pistol-grip-only configuration) or if you wanted to leave the SIG brace on it permanently, you could tell the ATF it's now permanently in title I configuration and have them change the status of the gun in the NFRTR.

Feedback Score
    Sig brace would be useless on a Shorty. The dimensions of everything would just make it really awkward to shoot. You're better of going SBS with a real telescoping stock you can get a cheek weld on and a bead on the barrel might even be somewhat useful then.