Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 Tactical 5R in .223

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ess45 View Post
    I'm using TPS TSR alloy steel, low rings (30mm) and Nightforce 20 MOA base (A115). The height is just right for me with the factory stock.
    Much appreciated. I will have to pick up a set. As of now I'm practically wasting quality ammo with barely any cheek weld and the scope too far forward.

Feedback Score
    Also see if you need to bed your scope base. I have 2 Remington 700 and in both, i have to bed the rear part of the base.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ess45 View Post
    Also see if you need to bed your scope base. I have 2 Remington 700 and in both, i have to bed the rear part of the base.
    How do you know if it needs bedding, and how did you bed yours? When I placed the rail on the receiver prior to loctiting and installing the screws, there was no play in any direction.
    I noticed that the LaRue rail has about four more slots forward than the Night Force does, so I may have to start with Medium rings to clear the front of the scope.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    How do you know if it needs bedding, and how did you bed yours? When I placed the rail on the receiver prior to loctiting and installing the screws, there was no play in any direction.
    I noticed that the LaRue rail has about four more slots forward than the Night Force does, so I may have to start with Medium rings to clear the front of the scope.
    Remove your LaRue rail (don't know if it will spring back to its original alignment) then hand tight the 2 front screws using a torx driver (no need to torque). Then look if there is a gap at the back side of the rail. If there is, then you need to bed that area to prevent misalignment and stress to your scope.

This is what I used for bedding (got it from Midway). The shoe polish as release agent.

Google "how to bed a scope base" to see how bedding is done.

Feedback Score
    If you don't have this tool yet, I suggest you get one too.
    The Kleinendorst-Remington Bolt Disassembly Tool. Available at Brownells and I think Midway too.

How to use this tool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFSWOCJDLI

Bolt maintenance.
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...ods-materials/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have you worked up a load yet? Any more pics of the groups?

I took mine out using hand loads for the first time and it did great with the Hornady 75gr A-max. I was using BL-C(2) powder and did the ladder test and 24.5-25.0 grs was the sweet spot. Even with the .5 gr difference, it was punching the same hole.
    I hate having to work up an optimal load for a new gun each time. Maybe that's a sign telling me to stop buying guns.

Only problem I see is my gun craters primers fairly bad. Did it with factory loads, cheap .223 ammo and .223 hornady ammo, and all handloads, from min to max charges. I even tried several primers. They are not over pressured, I think the hole in the bolt for the firing pin is just a little big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Only problem I see is my gun craters primers fairly bad. Did it with factory loads, cheap .223 ammo and .223 hornady ammo, and all handloads, from min to max charges. I even tried several primers. They are not over pressured, I think the hole in the bolt for the firing pin is just a little big.
    I have the same thing going on with the primers. Eventually, I figured it was somewhat normal for the Rem700, as my 30-06 does it too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Have you worked up a load yet? Any more pics of the groups?

I took mine out using hand loads for the first time and it did great with the Hornady 75gr A-max. I was using BL-C(2) powder and did the ladder test and 24.5-25.0 grs was the sweet spot. Even with the .5 gr difference, it was punching the same hole.
    I hate having to work up an optimal load for a new gun each time. Maybe that's a sign telling me to stop buying guns.

I'm done developing the load with XBR powder and my go to loads are 21.7 grains and 23.2 grains (if I want a higher velocity) with 69 gr SMK. Group on these 2 loads are around .5 to .6 inch at 100 yards.

I tried H335 but my best groups were in the .8 to .9 inch only. I was not able to do any further test because the AI 223 magazine gave in. The AI mag was only good for around 400 rounds. The plastic is very soft and the feed lip was easily shaved by the base of the brass. But to be fair, it was reliable when it was working. AI should have placed a metal insert on the lips like the Glock magazine. I'm expecting the MDT polymer magazine to arrive tomorrow (Brownells is very slow in shipping lately) .

I was going to post this picture but somehow forgot about it. This was taken during the initial testing of the rifle. I agree that the big firing pin hole is the cause of cratering.

Left to right. CCI 400, CCI 450, Rem 7 1/2.

Feedback Score
    223 10 rounds magazine for AICS.

AI left, MDT on the right.

The MDT has a very tight fit that I have to push the mag release really hard just to release the magazine. I may have to sand the front area to have a proper fit.
    I may not be able to test it's reliability until next week.
    Last edited by ess45; 03-27-15 at 14:32. Reason: add 1 pic

Feedback Score
    I was not getting good results with H335 and 69gr SMK.
    Tried 55 gr Nosler Ballistic tip and 24.5 gr of H335, and here is the result.
    .5 inch group at 100 yards. The 24.5 grains load of H335 was just chosen at random

My complaint with MDT mag.
    I have to sand the front area of the magazine to have a proper fit.
    Feeding was not as smooth compared to AI mag but no failure to feed.
    Takes more force to insert the 9th and 10th rounds despite of the mag being longer.

Only time will tell how long it will last.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast