Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lower Parts Kit

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    No, go with a well respected manufacturer. DPMS does not fall under the designation. If there's one area I wouldn't skimp, this is it. There is a lot of stress on certain pieces of the lower parts kit.

Colt or Daniel Defense are the only ones I would use now that they are readily available in multiple online stores.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...n&key=SPK99796
    Really, this is the one area? What parts have high stress in a LPK?

I'm with markm - barrels and bolts are the two biggest parts. If you use a quality after market trigger or get lucky with a good GI one, many LPKs will be fine, assuming they have all of the parts.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with the DSG kits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This is the best option I've seen recently: https://www.primaryarms.com/Spike_s_..._p/slpk100.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    RRA triggers are some of the crappiest and have some of the highest failure rates. I personally know 4 people in the last year who all replaced RRA triggers after very little use. Something like 1000 rounds give or take a couple of hundred.

I have 2 AR's with RRA triggers. One is a factory RRA, and the other I built. My RRA has just shy of 4k rounds through it and the trigger still functions properly. Supposedly RRA fits each trigger group to a particular lower during assembly

My build's RRA trigger "lost" the second stage after about 2k rounds. What I did was surface grind about .007" off the back of the disconnector that contacts the shelf that limits its forward rotation. That allowed the disco to make contact with the trigger's engagement area before the trigger broke, which gave me back the second stage.

What are the typical RRA trigger failures you're seeing? I'd like to know what to look out for.

...and sorry for the hijack

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This is the best option I've seen recently: https://www.primaryarms.com/Spike_s_..._p/slpk100.htm
    Primary has great customer service, don't hesitate to do business with them.
    Last edited by SugarSkulls; 11-18-14 at 16:23.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    I have 2 AR's with RRA triggers. One is a factory RRA, and the other I built. My RRA has just shy of 4k rounds through it and the trigger still functions properly. Supposedly RRA fits each trigger group to a particular lower during assembly

My build's RRA trigger "lost" the second stage after about 2k rounds. What I did was surface grind about .007" off the back of the disconnector that contacts the shelf that limits its forward rotation. That allowed the disco to make contact with the trigger's engagement area before the trigger broke, which gave me back the second stage.

What are the typical RRA trigger failures you're seeing? I'd like to know what to look out for.

...and sorry for the hijack
    The kind that force users to trash them or grind on them. Kindof like yours.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The hammer for one. The pins holding the crap together is another example.

Also, you can go into tapacrap settings on your phone and disable the tapacrap advertising it slaps onto every post.

ETA: I now see the context of this was an LPK without the trigger group which has "most" of the components that would be stressed. Although I wouldn't want switches or levers breaking either.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-15-14 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The kind that force users to trash them or grind on them. Kindof like yours.

Have you had experience with the RRA triggers?

What I did was fit the trigger to a particular lower. If RRA had chosen to use a set screw for that adjustment, it would be a simple thing to do. Some other 2-stage triggers have user adjustable features
    Last edited by RussB; 11-15-14 at 09:20.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bolt catch for one, the safety selector is also a critical component that could render the weapon inoperable if it doesn't function.

A colt lpk from G&R with a QMS trigger will be about $100. It isn't worth screwing around with sub par components to build a rifle that your life could depend on, especially considering that every magazine you fire will cost about $10 in ammo.
    Last edited by Toyoland66; 11-15-14 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Uh yeah, the bolt catch for one. That thing needs to be pretty damn solid.

I don't skimp on any part of a rifle. But you can skimp on certain areas with little to no consequences. Flash hider (A2=$8), grips (A2=$3.50), stock (mil-spec-$24), etc.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 11-15-14 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Gotcha. I'm not saying it's not true, just that out of the whole rifle, the LPK isn't usually something people refer to as having high-stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast